advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Microsoft’s first major operating system in 6 years, Windows 11, launches Oct. 5
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 31, 2021 09:29AM
anybody here eager to try this technological miracle?

Clippy's about to spawn another one!

Microsoft’s first major operating system in 6 years, Windows 11, launches Oct. 5

Microsoft said Tuesday that it will start offering free upgrades to Windows 11, the next version of its desktop operating system, to eligible PCs on Oct. 5.

Windows, originally released in 1985, remains a key piece of Microsoft’s business.
-
As it has for past updates, Microsoft will use on-device data and other factors to determine which devices will get the offer to upgrade first,
-
On PCs running Windows 10, that can can include the necessary components to run Windows 11, the Windows Update feature will notify people when the upgrade is available. People can also go to Settings > System > Windows Update to manually check if the upgrade is ready.
-

Windows 11 brings a modern look, with rounded corners and app icons displayed in the center of the taskbar. New sounds are designed to be less jarring. Microsoft redesigned the Start menu, the app store and the Settings app, and it’s easier to arrange multiple app windows on screen.

And Android apps will be available, by way of Amazon’s Appstore. The refresh comes as Microsoft faces rising competition from Chromebooks running Google’s Chrome OS, and Chromebooks are capable of running Android apps.
-
On June 24, Microsoft announced Windows 11 as the successor to Windows 10 and made it available to testers enrolled in the Windows Insider program four days later.

Since then, Microsoft has rolled out seven incremental updates containing feature changes and bug fixes. Now the company is preparing to make a final version Windows 11 available to many more customers and have device makers start selling new PCs that run the operating system.

Microsoft said last week that it will support Windows 11 when it’s running on a variety of PC processors, including Intel chips manufactured as far back as 2016. The company expects all devices that meet the Windows 11 requirements to receive the free upgrade by the middle of 2022, Woodman wrote.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Microsoft’s first major operating system in 6 years, Windows 11, launches Oct. 5
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 31, 2021 11:07AM
Have a look at the previews. The desktop is even more reminiscent than before of another graphical operating system...
Re: Microsoft’s first major operating system in 6 years, Windows 11, launches Oct. 5
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 31, 2021 11:17AM
If they can get it looking like OS9, I'm in.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 31, 2021 12:00PM
Lew Zealand
Have a look at the previews. The desktop is even more reminiscent than before of another graphical operating system...

Convergent evolution, except Apple got there forty years earlier.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 31, 2021 12:48PM
I keep waiting for M$ to decrudify Windows 10. One version about 16 months ago booted about 30% faster and used less RAM. Then the next update borked it again.

I have a 6th gen Intel in my gaming machine, so the hardware was not approved the first time around. Sounds like I can install it with reduced specs. I will likely continue to run W10 for a year and then see what's happening with Apple silicon.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Z
Date: August 31, 2021 12:52PM
I've come to find Win10 not awful, however this is not the birthday present I was hoping for.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 31, 2021 03:58PM
We just took the school computers to Windows 10 last year... Most of them won't even accept win10 updates now. Of course, they are 32-bit Dells from 2011.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 01, 2021 02:37PM
Ombligo
We just took the school computers to Windows 10 last year... Most of them won't even accept win10 updates now. Of course, they are 32-bit Dells from 2011.

The wife's company just upgraded her computer to W10. Like...Monday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020