advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Opinions on Fitness tracker smart watches NOT from Fitbit or Apple?
Posted by: timg
Date: August 31, 2021 01:14PM
OK, the wife got me a Fitbit Versa 2 Christmas before last. After 6 months, the watch screen separated from the rest of it. I complained and they sent me a replacement.

a year later, the same thing happened, except now it's out of warranty, so the best they will do is offer me a discount on a new Fitbit. That's a non-starter for me since the last Fitbit literally fell apart twice.

Unfortunately, I don't own an iPhone, so an Apple watch is not an option (unless someone feels like donating an iPhone 13 Pro Max smiling smiley )

Anyone have opinions on other fitness trackers/smart watches that they would recommend?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Opinions on Fitness tracker smart watches NOT from Fitbit or Apple?
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 31, 2021 02:50PM
I enjoy using my TicWatch Pro 3. I've banged that thing on hard rocks and other objects a hundred times. I've had it a year. I use the company's fitness software right alongside Google Fit. The battery lasts me 2 to 3 days but it has another mode that can last over a month if you find yourself away from a charger. That's with an an "always on" layer too.

It's a Google Wear OS device so there are lots of apps you can use. Lots of watchbands you can buy off of Amazon too. It gets great reviews.

I previously had the TicWatch Pro and enjoyed. They improved it mightily with the Pro 3.

It's $300 bucks, but you can save over $50 bucks if you get it off of their (Mobvoi) site. Amazon is having a "Lightning" sale on it for the next 7 hours for the same $50 bucks.

They boast of having hundreds of watchfaces but I like to use this one since it's focused on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 02:51PM by vision63.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 31, 2021 04:07PM
I really like my garmin fenix, although its not much of a smart watch - but I like that. I don't need a wrist computer.

Do you just want a step counter? Thats pretty basic.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 31, 2021 04:18PM
.....long time neighbor just moved and did a major garbage toss......threw out......Suunto Spartan Sport hr watch (cost about $499 new), looked new [ no charger or box ].....I bought a cheap charger and charged it up and it is working fine.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 31, 2021 04:26PM
NewtonMP2100
.....long time neighbor just moved and did a major garbage toss......threw out......Suunto Spartan Sport hr watch (cost about $499 new), looked new [ no charger or box ].....I bought a cheap charger and charged it up and it is working fine.......

Wow. That's a great find.
Date: August 31, 2021 05:08PM
vision63
NewtonMP2100

No doubt a great find, but how does it help me? Are you recommended the watch?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: August 31, 2021 05:15PM
timg
vision63
NewtonMP2100

No doubt a great find, but how does it help me? Are you recommended the watch?

Like mattkime said. What level of device are you looking for and what's your budget?
Date: August 31, 2021 05:42PM
Ideally something close to the versa 2 feature wise, without the need to pay a premium subscription to actually see and use the data it collects.

I have to admit, I liked the smartwatch features with spotify control and the assistant (alexa in the case of the versa 2).

budget, would be nice to be under $300. over $400 is probably too much.

Date: August 31, 2021 06:36PM
Remember, Google bought Fitbit and that'll all be merging soon. Also the new Samsung Watch runs Wear OS. That's kinda where things are headed on the non-Apple Watch front. There are a lot of choices. My sister just bought another Fitbit like you did for similar reasons.
Date: August 31, 2021 07:23PM
All the reports I've seen say that Fitbit quality has gotten worse, not better, after the acquisition by Google.

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 31, 2021 07:58PM
I like my Garmin Fenix also, also have a Garmin music. Lasts about a week on a single charge.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 01, 2021 05:52AM
If you really want to go cheap, you might consider a Wyze Band. My wife got one when her Garmin went south too early and she was unhappy about what she paid vs. lifespan. She thought the Wyze Band was just fine. Eventually I talked her into an Apple Watch so it sits in a drawer now.

But, it's a smart(ish?) band rather than a smart watch so perhaps it's not relevant to your needs.

[wyze.com]
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: September 01, 2021 11:23AM
Was in a similar situation. My wife gave me a FitBit something that she was not using. (Her employer provided it to her.)

It stopped working after about a year. Was not impressed with the price of current FitBits (I'm cheap when it comes to spending on myself.), so I purchased some unknown smart watch from AliExpress.

I've been using this watch for about a year and am happy with it. Synchs with my iPhone, and has all the features I want. Current price is just under US $20.

Todd's keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020