advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
yea, at&t fiber optic! not so yea ethernet connection.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: September 01, 2021 04:00PM
we just had at&t fiber optic installed today. so far, we’re very pleased with the wifi performance—up to about 660 Mbs down and over 300 Mbs up for about $70/mo, including the router and without a contract (i understand this can cut both ways). way better than comcast’s 180/12 for about $97/mo.

however, when i connect via my unitek y-3461 gigabit usb to ethernet adaptor (ax88179 driver (!) installed and reboot done), the d/l speed goes down to under 100, but the upload speed stays above 300. i also used apple’s A-1277 adaptor, i get slightly better up, but down drops to about 93; my few moments of research reveal that this may be only 10/100 only.

it's so very very strange. when the excellent installer guy put his meter to the ethernet, it came in at about 950 down and over 900 up.

i’ll appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

tia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2021 04:02PM by goodmanx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: yea, at&t fiber optic! not so yea ethernet connection.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 01, 2021 04:03PM
If you connect with a slower device it will throttle everything to the speed of the slowest wireless device, or that's how it used to be. So if you have an 802.11g router, but connect with 802.11a, you don't really get the benefit of the faster router.

Someone correct me if that's changed.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: timg
Date: September 01, 2021 04:15PM
Are you using a quality ethernet cable that is rated for gigabit?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 01, 2021 04:35PM
Have you got Thunderbolt on your Mac to use a thunderbolt adapter?

USB adapters are notoriously slow and fussy. The Unitek uses a software-translation layer that can take a big hit if anything is occupying your CPU at the moment, especially on old/slow machines. And yes, it can slow down even more if a slow USB device or cheap hub is connected on the same bus.

A Thunderbolt adapter will use the native driver which is lots more efficient. I don't know for certain that the USB adapter is the problem, so I can't say that a Thunderbolt adapter is absolutely gonna solve the problem, but there's a fair chance that it will be faster and more reliable.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 01, 2021 04:53PM
Hit the USB adapter with a hammer so you're not tempted to use it again, and get a Thunderbolt adapter, or use WiFi (not as fast as your max speeds, but less frustration than a USB adapter!).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 01, 2021 06:17PM
A USB3 adapter should be plenty fast.

Also, whatever you're getting now is plenty fast.

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 01, 2021 06:33PM
Our ATT fiber is great as well. Could never figure out why we (any normal household?) would ever need more than the base 300/300, so got that, only $30. regularly tests at closer to 400/400 wirelessly.

Moved to ATTtv, now no TV boxes either -- so donated every coax and ethernet cable (and a switch) to goodwill. HDMI cables are next.

Cable free by 2022. smiley-music039

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 02, 2021 01:30AM
jdc
Moved to ATTtv, now no TV boxes either -- so donated every coax and ethernet cable (and a switch) to goodwill. HDMI cables are next.

How does the programming get to the TV without some sort of box? Does the TV have a built in streaming device (like Roku)?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 02, 2021 03:05AM
its an app. So you need a smart TV, or a streaming device of some sort.

Its now called DirecTV stream, looks the same. Once you are in the app, works just like normal TV. Its got a "guide" and you scroll thru all the normal channels.

ATT fiber is unlimited net, so no worries there.

We don't do much regular TV, so just the basic package, with FiOS -- just over $100ish?

Its kinda great. You can put a TV anywhere, doesn't matter. Garage, backyard, etc. Well, that was only a limit with watching regular TV I guess. NF, hbo, amazon, hulu etc don't need a box...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020