advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hey, NYC and NJ members, you guys OK?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 02, 2021 07:27AM
I have been seeing all the flooding reports coming out about Manhattan and NJ. Are you guys ok?
My daughter lives near Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn, but they are out of town, left yesterday, so I hope their place is ok.
If they hadn’t left yesterday morning, I doubt they would have made it out, since they flew out of Newark and the airport was apparently a mess.
Anyway, hope you guys are safe and dry.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey, NYC and NJ members, you guys OK?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 02, 2021 08:35AM
rgC,

It was really bad. Haven't seen images and videos of flooding like this since Hurricane Sandy. Fortunately, minor issues at worst here in my immediate part of Long Island. The surrounding areas, though - we're talking even as close to just a few minutes away - got hit pretty hard. The underground garage of one building was flooded enough that the water was as high as the seats in the passenger compartments of cars. Haven't heard of any fish swimming in the flooded garages like last time. At least not yet. Still, it is pretty bad.

Robert
Posted by: d4
Date: September 02, 2021 09:27AM
The media focuses on Hurricane Henri for days before it hit landfall. But there was practically ZERO warning about the devastating rainfall last night until it was right on top of us. This morning the media is calling the amount of rainfall last night "historic." Gee, thanks for the heads up. Where were you yesterday?

We were on the couch watching TV early last night when our phones started blaring Tornado warnings, Flash Flood warnings. Repeatedly, one right after the other. State of Emergency declared. By then it was already raining hard outside. I ran outside to put away the grill, garbage cans, patio furniture, etc into the garage. I was soaked. But thankfully, no serious damage.

At one point all of the NYC subway lines and railroads were suspended. The tennis US Open was still going on until the storm was right on top of them. The fans were trapped there. No advance warning to the severity.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 02, 2021 09:34AM
d4,

Gotta disagree. We're neighbors and I saw on the news, heard on the radio and on my favorite weather apps days in advance about Hurrican Ida hitting down south and, as a result, days in advance that we'd get hit by nasty weather including significant rainfall when its remnants reached Long Island. Obviously, there was far more rainfall than expected but there was definitely ample notice that we were about to get hit by serious rainfall from the storm and that everyone needed to prepare for it.

Robert
Posted by: mspace
Date: September 02, 2021 09:37AM
All good, although I read that we broke the Henri record and had over 3" of rain in one hour last night. It was, as they say, torrential.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 02, 2021 09:41AM
Robert M
d4,

Gotta disagree. We're neighbors and I saw on the news, heard on the radio and on my favorite weather apps days in advance about Hurrican Ida hitting down south and, as a result, days in advance that we'd get hit by nasty weather including significant rainfall when its remnants reached Long Island. Obviously, there was far more rainfall than expected but there was definitely ample notice that we were about to get hit by serious rainfall from the storm and that everyone needed to prepare for it.

Robert

....have to agree, all the news programs that I watched said it would be record rainfall for the NY area in advance of the storm hitting......it was worse but weather isn't always 'exact'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: d4
Date: September 02, 2021 09:41AM
Robert M,

I disagree with you as well. There's a significant difference between heavy rain forecasted and "historic" devastating rainfall and tornado warnings that warrant a State of Emergency being declared.

Posted by: Janit
Date: September 02, 2021 09:44AM
OK out here in Montclair. Only issue is that major road closures prevent me from getting out to East Rutherford to claim my vax+ Krispy Kreme donuts.
Date: September 02, 2021 09:46AM
.....weather isn't that exact.....they thought Henri would be worse than it was but it wasn't that bad......they predicted very bad for Ida and it was worse than expected....

.....if it was that exact, they would be able to predict when tornados would happen....

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 02, 2021 10:04AM
I recall warnings in Rochester NY a couple decades ago about an upcoming major storm that WOULD cause major damage. There was no question - this WAS going to be a huge problem for us. When nothing happened, not even a drizzle, the TV meteorologists were profoundly embarrassed and apologetic. They explained that weather forecasting isn't an exact science, as Newton mentioned above.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 02, 2021 10:24AM
Yesterday, a tornado was spotted about 7 miles away. Thankfully it didn’t touchdown around me but hit a town 20 miles south. I feel very lucky.
Date: September 02, 2021 10:30AM
....a tornado hit Mullica Hills, NJ.....they had the home owner on the news....he made to basement with his wife and son, as the door blew right off the basement door.....

.....according to insurance guy, his house is totaled due to the damage to structure [ walls, etc. ]......an entire side of his house is completely blown off, you can see into the house.....

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 02, 2021 10:35AM
d4, I'm in NC and I heard about the possibility of major flooding in that area during the day yesterday but maybe it's because I'm a weather nut and monitor multiple weather agencies.

Grateful11
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 02, 2021 10:43AM
haven't had water in the basement in I dunno how long.
>6" yesterday. Mostly gone now from sump pump.

buddy was stuck on a road in joisey 8:30p til 3a.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 02, 2021 11:20AM
Totals for NJ, NY, CT --a lot of rain

[mesonet.agron.iastate.edu]

pretty interesting
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 02, 2021 11:46AM
these figures from NBC 4 in NYC may not be reliable

lots less on Long Island

btw Bellmore is in the middle of Nassau County, not Suffolk

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 02, 2021 01:35PM
Glad you are all reporting in as being okay.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 02, 2021 04:16PM
I'm in Cranford, NJ and while we did ok, many of my neighbors and parts of the town are currently under water. We got 11 inches of rain and the Rahway river overflowed in some areas that are still flooded. Waters are receding a bit now but it's still a bad situation for some here.

Some drone video of one section:
[www.youtube.com]

This is around the corner from me. A woman said she got stuck with water up to the roof racks on her SUV. Luckily she got out ok.

JoeM
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 02, 2021 04:25PM
Wow, looks like it was really, really bad in a lot of places.
Daughter seems to indicate that her place is OK.
They have a friend house sitting their kitty, and I think he reported in.
I checked with another of her friends and he is dry, but said a few blocks over from him, somewhere in Bushwick, I think, that things were pretty bad.
Hopefully Newark airport will be back to mostly normal before they return on Monday.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 02, 2021 07:19PM
Pretty bad but my town, Princeton Junction was worse last week during Henry. But Ida was bad too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020