advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rant: Peruvian avocados
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 02, 2021 01:43PM
summer time round these parts, Mexican Hass avocados are hard to find.
they are replaced by Peruvian Hass.

I've tried every method of ripening these beasts I have read about.
Usually, after 2 or 3 weeks, they go from rock hard to gray, black, stringy yech.
And every year I give them a try, coz you can't fix stoopit.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rant: Peruvian avocados
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 02, 2021 01:48PM
Try putting them in a paper bag with a couple of green bananas.
Date: September 02, 2021 01:57PM
did that. the bananas ripened. the cados, hard as rocks. even tried cycling in "new" nanas. nope

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 02, 2021 02:04PM
....'l'abogados'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: September 02, 2021 02:32PM
wow - I was thinking about starting an avocado thread a couple of weeks ago, but I thought who would want to hear about these awesome, cheap (50¢) avos? These have been hard and green when I buy them and two days later they are PERFECT! I ripen them just sitting in a bowl in my 80+º kitchen. Grown in the USA baby...

Bananas however are going bad before I can eat them.
Date: September 02, 2021 02:42PM
I'd be happy to find US/California Hass, but they never make it east that I have seen.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: raz
Date: September 02, 2021 02:55PM
at least I stopped the wife from buying the Costco bag of 6 - at least 4 would be bad.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 02, 2021 03:03PM
raz
at least I stopped the wife from buying the Costco bag of 6 - at least 4 would be bad.

Are they from peru?

We bought some a month or so ago... they seemed OKish.

Al always, miss my giant avocado tree from when I was a teenager. hundreds of them. big fat ones. yum

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 02, 2021 03:25PM
Don’t buy South Africa oranges if you want juicers.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 02, 2021 03:54PM
raz

Costco's great for a lot of things, but produce isn't one of them.

It is what it is.
Date: September 02, 2021 04:04PM
in season, CostCo 6 pack is just fine, as are the naners, strawbs and a few other bits of produce.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 02, 2021 05:59PM
hal

Bananas however are going bad before I can eat them.

I viewed a pic the other day at an asian market I think, of bananas packaged with two green, two slightly green, and two yellow, ready to eat.

Spreading of the level of ripeness is a good thing, I think!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: August West
Date: September 02, 2021 07:06PM
I found cherries in season to be a winner for costco.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 02, 2021 08:39PM
They suck if they're not from Mexico! I've tried avocados from all over but the Mexican are the best.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 02, 2021 11:01PM
North County in San Diego used to be the Avocado capitol of the world. So many orchards were cut down or left to rot when the water got so expensive that farmers couldn't make a go. Lots of those places now are being planted with grape for yet another winery.

Avocados are almost all from Mexico now, unless you have a few trees in your backyard. And then, it's ratville. Personal knowledge. LOL
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2021 11:25PM
We were in Mexico once, at one of those central markets where everyone has a stall. There was a produce guy, and you could touch most everything but the avocados - those you had to point to, and he would put it in a bag.

Over time, back home, we realized how sensitive avocados are to being handled. I’d pick out good looking ones at the store, and before they were fully mature, they would rot in spots. Now the wife gets a mesh bag of 5 from Sam’s Club at a good price that haven’t been handled by everyone, and they always turn out great. I think they’re from Mexico, but I really think the difference is they aren’t just dumped in a jumble in a produce rack where everyone can bump them around.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 03, 2021 11:40AM
I find the Costco avocados to be stringy, as are the large ones at Grocery Outlet.

Our "go to" avocados are the "teeny tiny" avocados from Trader Joes, in a bag of 5. it seems like there's always at least one ready to go. They are creamy and generally bruise free.

The bigger question here is that I thought people east of the Mississippi did not care for avocados...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: September 03, 2021 12:14PM
" The bigger question here is that I thought people east of the Mississippi did not care for avocados..."

that's some harsh BS right there!
At least in the NY area.

The TJs are also good, but the CostCo from Mexico, in season, are pretty consistent here.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 03, 2021 07:59PM
hamster dance
Fritz
" The bigger question here is that I thought people east of the Mississippi did not care for avocados..."

that's some harsh BS right there!
At least in the NY area.

The TJs are also good, but the CostCo from Mexico, in season, are pretty consistent here.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 03, 2021 10:39PM
Markintosh
I find the Costco avocados to be stringy, as are the large ones at Grocery Outlet.

Our "go to" avocados are the "teeny tiny" avocados from Trader Joes, in a bag of 5. it seems like there's always at least one ready to go. They are creamy and generally bruise free.

The bigger question here is that I thought people east of the Mississippi did not care for avocados...

then what to the kids put on their artisanal toast and photograph?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 04, 2021 06:10PM
N-OS X-tasy!

i beg to differ when it comes to one item - Bananas! I look forward to them on my bi-monthly Costco excursions. can't beat 3lbs for $1.39 except for Walmart when their selection is mottled brown.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 04, 2021 08:33PM
graylocks
N-OS X-tasy!

i beg to differ when it comes to one item - Bananas! I look forward to them on my bi-monthly Costco excursions. can't beat 3lbs for $1.39 except for Walmart when their selection is mottled brown.

Completely agree w the produce comment. After years of buying fruit and veggies there and having a bunch to return on each visit, I now forgo it entirely. The bananas from Costco always were hard and then mushy, in an instant. I was told it was from whatever they were spraying that was meant to act as a preservative. And the plastic bags didn't help although in think they've eliminated those.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020