advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Eff Apple Pay.
Posted by: kj
Date: September 02, 2021 04:56PM
It worked half the time at Alberson's grocery, turned down at several stores (e.g. North Face) even though they support it. McDonalds was the sole place that it reliably worked, and today on the way back from a run, I stopped, didn't have my wallet, so used my phone, and it wouldn't work. Not surprising, even though it's worked at this McDonalds since 2018. I just have to figure out where to put the money I have sitting in there, and I'm done.

Btw, it doesn't matter one bit whose fault it is, it just sucks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Eff Apple Pay.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 02, 2021 04:57PM
Yeah, I’ve had inconsistent experiences the very rare times I’ve had to use it. Don’t know if it’s my fault or theirs.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 02, 2021 05:01PM
Carnos Jax
Yeah, I’ve had inconsistent experiences the very rare times I’ve had to use it. Don’t know if it’s my fault or theirs.

me too - I can't be bothered to troubleshoot the issue while there are people waiting behind me. The first few times it didn't work, I went another direction after a 2nd failure - I don't even try anymore. The alternatives work every damned time.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 02, 2021 05:05PM
7-Eleven is the only place where AP does not work for me on a consistent basis. Go figure.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 02, 2021 05:06PM
I love it; never a problem with it. Wish more places took it.

HOWEVER I have only once ever gotten it to work on my Mac. I've done all the troubleshooting and setup, etc., but it never seems to be able to connect to my iPhone to authorize.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 02, 2021 05:13PM
Bummer.

But Im with Zoid. Used it twice today, per usual, beep and done. Trader Joes and Rubios.

Cant wait to get my DL on it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 02, 2021 05:47PM
Oh, yeah - I use it all the time. Starbucks, McD's, TJs, Togo's supermarkets... the list is long. I find myself surprised at just how many places take it now.

It is what it is.
Date: September 02, 2021 06:01PM
My Visa card works pretty much everywhere, and has never not worked, so how does Apple Pay matter for anything? I may continue to use it to pay people directly, but very few are set up for it, whereas most people can do PayPal, so that's usually the go to (or Venmo).

I have a regular gig that I get paid through Apple Pay, but I'm just going to send it straight over to my checking account, I guess, except it will be harder to keep track of.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 02, 2021 06:01PM
I've had no issues with it. In fact, I've had better luck with AP than I have had with chip readers.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 02, 2021 06:08PM
Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe's, QT gas stations. pay with Apple Pay and Apple Card on my watch which is preferable to digging out my phone or wallet.

Wished Walmart accepted it. That would take care of just about all my brick & mortar shopping save my bi-monthly costco excursions.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 02, 2021 06:16PM
Well darn. I wish I had that good of luck with it.

Walmart, they don't take Apple Pay, but they do cash SSDI checks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 06:19PM by kj.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 02, 2021 06:34PM
One thing I have noticed...when Apple Pay was first rolled out, it was a bit sketchy and not something you could rely on.

About the only place that I cannot use Apple Pay is Home Depot and some gas stations. That said, I rarely buy gas anymore.

I wonder if the fact that I have the Apple Card as my primary payment for Apple Pay has something to do with how bulletproof things seem now.

I dig the Apple Card too. I get a decent amount of cash back without jumping through hoops of any sort. Tracking spending and making payments to my Apple Card could not be any easier.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: September 02, 2021 06:56PM
kj
My Visa card works pretty much everywhere, and has never not worked, so how does Apple Pay matter for anything? I may continue to use it to pay people directly, but very few are set up for it, whereas most people can do PayPal, so that's usually the go to (or Venmo).

Apple Pay anonymizes your financial transactions. It protects your credit card accounts by not using the CC number in transactions - it instead uses a token that associates to your CC info in Apple's servers only.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 07:01PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: September 02, 2021 07:01PM
Markintosh
One thing I have noticed...when Apple Pay was first rolled out, it was a bit sketchy and not something you could rely on.

About the only place that I cannot use Apple Pay is Home Depot and some gas stations. That said, I rarely buy gas anymore.

I wonder if the fact that I have the Apple Card as my primary payment for Apple Pay has something to do with how bulletproof things seem now.

I dig the Apple Card too. I get a decent amount of cash back without jumping through hoops of any sort. Tracking spending and making payments to my Apple Card could not be any easier.

That's interesting. I wouldn't doubt that might help reliability, but you would think since I have a balance (like "cash") on my Apple Pay, that would be good for reliability too, but not for me. I want an Apple Card just because it's titanium. Does it wear well? Is it bendy?
Date: September 02, 2021 07:13PM
kj
since I have a balance (like "cash") on my Apple Pay, that would be good for reliability too, but not for me.

I want an Apple Card just because it's titanium. Does it wear well? Is it bendy?

Wait, you have a positive balance like from Apple Cash (payments received via Messages)? I do have some trouble sometimes if I try to purchase from the Apple Cash card associated with Apple ID. I accrue cash there from the % cash back on the Apple Card credit card. The Apple Card credit card is a Mastercard. The Apple Cash card is a Discover debit card, which works for almost nothing. Money that accrues there automatically covers all of my Apple music/game purchases and Apple TV+. Otherwise, it's easy to sweep money from the Apple Cash account back to my checking account.

The physical titanium card is cool, but it has never been used. I threw it in a desk drawer in the original case and have never touched it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 02, 2021 07:45PM
graylocks
Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe's, QT gas stations. pay with Apple Pay and Apple Card on my watch which is preferable to digging out my phone or wallet.

Wished Walmart accepted it. That would take care of just about all my brick & mortar shopping save my bi-monthly costco excursions.

You shop at Walmart? Say it ain’t so.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 07:46PM by Speedy.
Date: September 02, 2021 08:02PM
Markintosh
kj
since I have a balance (like "cash") on my Apple Pay, that would be good for reliability too, but not for me.

I want an Apple Card just because it's titanium. Does it wear well? Is it bendy?

Wait, you have a positive balance like from Apple Cash (payments received via Messages)? I do have some trouble sometimes if I try to purchase from the Apple Cash card associated with Apple ID. I accrue cash there from the % cash back on the Apple Card credit card. The Apple Card credit card is a Mastercard. The Apple Cash card is a Discover debit card, which works for almost nothing. Money that accrues there automatically covers all of my Apple music/game purchases and Apple TV+. Otherwise, it's easy to sweep money from the Apple Cash account back to my checking account.

The physical titanium card is cool, but it has never been used. I threw it in a desk drawer in the original case and have never touched it.

So my cash is a Discover debit card? Oh god, no wonder. That is so odd, my son has a discover debit card and it has a success rate pretty much equivalent to my Apple Pay. I'll be darned. Well, I really do need to do something about that. Is there a setting that will use the credit card associated with the account for payments, instead of the cash? And maybe my payments can be set to go straight into my bank account. I need to look.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 02, 2021 08:55PM
I guess I should really setup Apple Pay on my watch and phone (I THINK PHONE IS ALREADY SET UP - always pops up in stupid wallet when I don't want it - I think it is linked to a Debit Card with a super low balance since one of my Debits cards got compromised a few years ago).

Quick Question - I think I mentioned I HATE the fast food drive thru but seems to new normal because many places DO NOT have walk in ordering any more.

Do you Apple Pay people hand your phone to the person at the payment window?

Do you do cash or physical debit card in those situations?

I have seen remote Apple pay terminals at the drive thru sometimes in a couple of places but it hit or miss as to availability

edit:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 08:57PM by ArtP.
Date: September 02, 2021 09:00PM
kj
Well, I really do need to do something about that. Is there a setting that will use the credit card associated with the account for payments, instead of the cash? And maybe my payments can be set to go straight into my bank account. I need to look.

Not all banks allow it but many credit cards can be set up to be used in Apple Pay. I used to have my Amex Blue Card set up for that. Once I got an Apple Card I took it out because I keep forgetting to double check that I was paying with AC instead of Amex.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 02, 2021 09:04PM
ArtP
Do you Apple Pay people hand your phone to the person at the payment window?

Do you do cash or physical debit card in those situations?

I have seen remote Apple pay terminals at the drive thru sometimes in a couple of places but it hit or miss as to availability

At Starbucks locations they have a scanner gun for the watch or your phone. in fact, there was a time where baristas were absolutely forbidden to handle a customers phone. the baristas working there now (i've been gone two years now) don't seem to know this.

Date: September 02, 2021 10:12PM
Speedy

You shop at Walmart? Say it ain’t so.

yep. at least once a week if only to get bananas. best price and ripeness in town. bananas at Aldi are awful. i even happily use the self-check out at walmart. my liberal california friends would be aghast.

Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: September 02, 2021 10:12PM
I use Apple Pay regularly with limited problems. I always have my wallet with my cards with me just in case. My grocery store has been the most troublesome location. Some places the cashier has to do something to allow the NCR transaction. I usually say something stupid like does AP work and work from their response.

Long time Mac user
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 02, 2021 10:57PM
Albertson's. LOL. Took them YEARS just to get the right kind of terminals at every checkout. Vons, surprisingly, worked at every checkout almost from the start. Crazy.

Apple Card rules over Apple Pay, and 2-3% back doesn't hurt. People are still surprised when they see a payment by watch. Of course, if they're at Albertsons, it's because 5 times out of ten it has never ever worked. LOL
Date: September 03, 2021 12:43AM
bfd
Albertson's. LOL. Took them YEARS just to get the right kind of terminals at every checkout. Vons, surprisingly, worked at every checkout almost from the start. Crazy.

Apple Card rules over Apple Pay, and 2-3% back doesn't hurt. People are still surprised when they see a payment by watch. Of course, if they're at Albertsons, it's because 5 times out of ten it has never ever worked. LOL

I've never had a problem using AP at the Albertson's next door to my place.

Then again, I've never had a problem with the Spectrum cable/Internet service at this place, either. Maybe I live in a magical realm...

It is what it is.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 03, 2021 01:23AM
kj
I just have to figure out where to put the money I have sitting in there… you would think since I have a balance (like "cash") on my Apple Pay

I'm so confused…

What is your "Apple Pay?" How is it possible to have cash there?

I've set up at least four credit cards on Apple Pay. They all work like a charm every time.
Date: September 03, 2021 01:48AM
Article Accelerator
kj
I just have to figure out where to put the money I have sitting in there… you would think since I have a balance (like "cash") on my Apple Pay

I'm so confused…

What is your "Apple Pay?" How is it possible to have cash there?

I've set up at least four credit cards on Apple Pay. They all work like a charm every time.

I think kj is referring to Apple Cash, which is entirely different than Apple Pay.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 03, 2021 07:34AM
Apple Pay is very reliable for me now.

But all systems - including chip readers - have issues some time.
Date: September 03, 2021 08:43AM
sekker

Agreed. At the grocery the other day, several chip readers were not working and wouldn't let you swipe a card (as an alternate to the chip) b'c the system recognizes it's a chip card.

And to everyone adopting the whole "I use a chip CC and that's all I need", good for you. That's great for you. Enjoy it. Some of us really like ApplePay (or GooglePay, or anything along those lines) because we find it simpler and easier.

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 03, 2021 08:43AM
I love it. I use it all the time and it always works. The only time it doesn't work is when I've forgotten my phone at home so my watch can't initiate the transaction...which is usually how I realize I've left my phone at home.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: September 03, 2021 09:00AM
ztirffritz
I love it. I use it all the time and it always works. The only time it doesn't work is when I've forgotten my phone at home so my watch can't initiate the transaction...which is usually how I realize I've left my phone at home.

there must be something off in your settings. there’s been a couple of times i’ve made a run to Aldi without my phone. AW Apple Pay works fine without it and i use it GPS not cellular.

do you use a passcode to unlock the watch when it’s been off your wrist?

Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 03, 2021 10:05AM
Zoidberg

Agreed. At the grocery the other day, several chip readers were not working and wouldn't let you swipe a card (as an alternate to the chip) b'c the system recognizes it's a chip card.

Some terminals default to swiping card if you insert the "bad" chip card 3 times, if it tells you chip malfunction- on the 3 insert - it says Use Magnetic Stripe. and Swipe usually works.

If the terminal itself is bad seems that neither would work?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 03, 2021 10:40AM
I LOVE Apple Pay!

I've had zero problems, except when Safeway started requiring a phone number when using it (because of the anonymity of the Apple Card).

But otherwise I've never had any issue with it failing to fire.

McDonald's hangs a POS outside the pay window and I use my Watch.

El Pollo Loco has a hand scanner/reader combo unit.

Other people tap their phones on it, like animals.

My one complaint with it is that it uses MasterCard which Costco doesn't accept.

It's the only place I've found that accepts contactless payment but not Apple Pay.

I'm regularly surprised when I ask 'Do you accept Apple Pay' and the answer is 'yes'.

So many places accept it, but there's no signage.

One of the nearby Costco's gas pumps now does contactless payments, but again no Apple Pay.

I've only had a few occasions to use the actual Apple Card, but it's fun when the server sees it with no info on the front but my name.

Some have flipped the card over and their surprise at not seeing any numbers on it is obvious.

And yeah, it's kind of fun to drop it on the table so one can hear the metal sound.

Did I mention I LOVE Apple Pay?

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 03, 2021 11:34AM
ArtP
Some terminals default to swiping card if you insert the "bad" chip card 3 times, if it tells you chip malfunction- on the 3 insert - it says Use Magnetic Stripe. and Swipe usually works.

If the terminal itself is bad seems that neither would work?

This is Kroger supermarkets; their entire system is patchwork garbage. I try it three or four times and it just keeps going with the "chip malfunction, use swipe" and then "chip card; must insert" nonsense.

Love ApplePay's setup. The first gas station to add it will get me as a routine customer.

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Posted by: pdq
Date: September 03, 2021 11:37AM
I also have had good luck w ApplePay. And it seems to work at many more places now.

I like the way it confirms the vendor and amount on my iPhone.

PS- I find that if I hold my phone near the terminal for a sec before I touch the home button, it usually goes bing! immediately.

Before, I think I was touching the button before the terminal was ready to read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 11:39AM by pdq.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 03, 2021 01:38PM
Zoidberg
sekker

And to everyone adopting the whole "I use a chip CC and that's all I need", good for you. That's great for you. Enjoy it. Some of us really like ApplePay (or GooglePay, or anything along those lines) because we find it simpler and easier.

Unless the chipped card uses a pin, I'm not sure that it's any more secure than the non chipped card.
Date: September 03, 2021 03:04PM
macphanatic
Zoidberg
sekker

Unless the chipped card uses a pin, I'm not sure that it's any more secure than the non chipped card.

Not sure how security comes into the equation; not trying to be a putz.

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Date: September 03, 2021 04:29PM
I appreciate all the info. I realize I made a mistake thinking that Apple Pay was the term for every way you pay using your apple device. I now understand I have been using Apple Cash, and that is what doesn't work so great. I will try setting up a credit card at some point, I'm sure. In fact, I may even do the Apple Card.

So, the Apple Card works anywhere Mastercard works, right? I don't like when payments don't work, just because I've seen people shuffle through several cards to get one that works, and it doesn't look good.
Date: September 03, 2021 04:56PM
Apple Card works for me...too easy. Sure I could probably get more cash back somewhere else...but easy is good.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 03, 2021 05:10PM
… or Amex!
I have both, and it’s a matter of swiping after the dbl-click.
Loves the Apple Pay!!

Still haven’t applied for the Apple Card. I may do it next time I get new iron…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 05:12PM by rich in distress.
Date: September 03, 2021 05:41PM
kj

So, the Apple Card works anywhere Mastercard works, right? I don't like when payments don't work, just because I've seen people shuffle through several cards to get one that works, and it doesn't look good.

yes the Apple Card is a Mastercard. Cash back is 3% when used on the watch or phone at the Apple Store and a handful of select merchants like Panera. 2% when used on the watch or phone with merchants that can take it that way. 1% when you use the physical card anywhere.

The cash back sweeps within a day to your apple cash card. you could sweep it to your bank account from there but i let it accumulate for fun things. today i reloaded my starbucks card from my apple cash card.

Date: September 03, 2021 06:31PM
graylocks
kj

yes the Apple Card is a Mastercard. Cash back is 3% when used on the watch or phone at the Apple Store and a handful of select merchants like Panera. 2% when used on the watch or phone with merchants that can take it that way. 1% when you use the physical card anywhere.

The cash back sweeps within a day to your apple cash card. you could sweep it to your bank account from there but i let it accumulate for fun things. today i reloaded my starbucks card from my apple cash card.

Cool. I for some reason really value what is in my apple cash account, so I totally get it. I'll have to see what my main card does as far as payoff. It used to be airline miles, but not anymore. Btw, I like that you'll go to Walmart. Pragmatism Rulez! winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020