Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OMG, WTF
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 03, 2021 12:01AM
I just got power back!

(No guarantees it will last, so I'm gonna keep the generator going, regardless...)

But I can imagine anyone who was sleeping right now, they've gotten a sudden shock!

(I know it probably won't last; folks on my local Nextdoor app have reported that they got their power back, only for it to disappear again 24 hours later... but still, it's progress!)

Edit: forgot to mention, there was NO notice of this from Entergy, and their outage map didn't have anything on it to suggest that the power would come back. Last I heard, Entergy was going to give a timeline tomorrow morning of the likely times to restore for different areas. The counts of downed equipment were staggering: 837 downed poles, 288 blown transformers, and 564 crossarms that had to be repaired.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 12:13AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OMG, WTF
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 03, 2021 02:55AM
here's hoping for a warm dinner tomorrow, if you want.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 03, 2021 03:32AM
Wake up early and take a hot shower!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 03, 2021 04:29AM
Forrest
Wake up early and take a hot shower!
coffee smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 03, 2021 07:37AM
Great news!
I hope your luck holds out.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 03, 2021 08:13AM
hamster danceHurray!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 08:13AM by samintx.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 03, 2021 08:17AM
....good for you....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 03, 2021 08:40AM
For those living in the area, cold working air conditioning is more important than food, per se.

You can find food, but when it's really hot and the humidity is 100% and that sun is just making it unbearable, the most important thing is that working A/C.

Showering is right up there as well.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 03, 2021 09:19AM
Zoidberg
For those living in the area, cold working air conditioning is more important than food, per se.

You can find food, but when it's really hot and the humidity is 100% and that sun is just making it unbearable, the most important thing is that working A/C.

This.
If you haven’t lived in the deep humid hot south, and you can’t get much more hot and humid than NOLA, you probably can’t understand just how awful it can be without AC.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: September 03, 2021 09:35AM
yeah, I have lived in Central FL for over 25 years, so I know what hot and humid is like. But years ago I spent a week in NO (the year before Katrina hit) in the summer and it was like a whole new level of misery. I remember walking one block from my hotel to where the conference I was attending was and arriving totally drenched in sweat.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 03, 2021 10:18AM
If you haven’t lived in the deep humid hot south, and you can’t get much more hot and humid than NOLA, you probably can’t understand just how awful it can be without AC.

Not having walked in your stilettos I can't say I know what that's like exactly, but being in Southeast Asia in monsoon season where you actively sweat while in the heat, humidity, and rain, I feel ya.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 03, 2021 10:43AM
I still remember back in the mid 1980s when I went to a conference in New Orleans. It was in October and I was coming from NY and wearing a flannel shirt. The moment I exited the airport's doors to catch a cab my shirt immediately became soaked.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 03, 2021 10:54AM
You know what comes next.

C'mon, you know....

BBQ!

I'm glad to hear that you have access to sweet, sweet powah again.
Date: September 03, 2021 11:32AM
GGD
I still remember back in the mid 1980s when I went to a conference in New Orleans. It was in October and I was coming from NY and wearing a flannel shirt. The moment I exited the airport's doors to catch a cab my shirt immediately became soaked.

I remember once flying back into New Orleans, and the pilot was giving the weather report. "It's slightly overcast and 74 degrees", which was met with a lot of silence. It was August.

He came back over the speaker; "Sorry, folks; read the wrong report. It's rainy and muggy and 98 degrees." And everyone did the "yeah, thought so" and "mmm-hmmm" noises.

I also remember a story ages back when a young man, after spending the summer in the pacific northwest, came back to N.O. in the summer, and passed out on the gangway after getting off the plane.

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 03, 2021 12:17PM
HOW is your generator connected to your home?

Unless you use said generator to DIRECTLY power an appliance (but rather have it connected IN ANY WAY to your electrical service), your could be creating a "back feed" which can have LEATHAL results to someone working elsewhere down the electric line.

Of course, if you've had an ISOLATING TRANSFER SWITCH installed, the above would be moot.
Date: September 03, 2021 12:45PM
Zoidberg

This. (Again.)

The major issue here isn't the heat. It IS the humidity. With dew points so high, sweating becomes utterly ineffective, and there's no question that if we haven't already lost some people from the lack of AC, we will soon. Restoration timelines have been posted and my area is supposed to be 9/8, so it's entirely possible I'll lose power again before then. I just spent this morning in my backyard cleaning up, and by the time I was finished, I was panting and literally dripping in sweat. (This is also why I'd been asking here awhile back about antiperspirants one can use on one's face...)

The folks who have sweated bucketfuls to restore power here, particularly the linemen and -women from Entergy and the other energy companies from other states ... I cannot imagine how they've been managing to work in this heat. (We'd been under a heat advisory, with "feel like" temps in the 100-120 range, for the last few days ... supposedly it'll be getting a little less humid this weekend.)

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 03, 2021 05:06PM
Hope the power is there to stay.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 03, 2021 06:15PM
testcase

Unless you use said generator to DIRECTLY power an appliance (but rather have it connected IN ANY WAY to your electrical service), your could be creating a "back feed" which can have LEATHAL results to someone working elsewhere down the electric line.

Of course, if you've had an ISOLATING TRANSFER SWITCH installed, the above would be moot.

I was just thinking exactly the same. Lineworkers have become very aware of this danger since the days after a storm are Generator Amateure Hour

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: September 03, 2021 06:36PM
Ombligo
testcase

I was just thinking exactly the same. Lineworkers have become very aware of this danger since the days after a storm are Generator Amateure Hour

Yes, I'm aware of this too -- has been on the news that at least two lineworkers have died trying to restore power here (not sure if they died for this reason though).

In my case, no, of course it's not connected to my electrical circuit. I'd had the generator directly connected to 2-3 appliances, the AC, fridge/freezer, and a power strip to power some miscellaneous things like a fan and some chargers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 10:05AM by PeterB.
Date: September 03, 2021 07:42PM
that's the right way to do it peter.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 03, 2021 08:39PM
Heard some official on the news say that they are not repairing the grid, they are building from scratch.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 03, 2021 09:31PM
that's the right way to do it

For a smallish generator, yes.

A little tedious, but then a transfer switch is some work and money, not a DIY, and maybe not much ROI for the aforementioned smallish generator, which would still have to be started manually.

I watched a buddy get an automatic transfer switch installed for his 22KW generator and it was some work.

A manual interlock type of transfer switch is legal in my county, and much less difficult and expensive to get installed.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 03, 2021 10:05PM
I am thinking of a 7500 ish in my garage. I have a 60 amp subpanel out to the second garage. I can feed the house from there, and disconnect the main box from the grid with the master 200 amp switch.

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 03, 2021 10:34PM
Racer X
I am thinking of a 7500 ish in my garage. I have a 60 amp subpanel out to the second garage. I can feed the house from there, and disconnect the main box from the grid with the master 200 amp switch.

while you can do that, it may not be up to code. Check with a licensed electrician or a code inspector.
Date: September 03, 2021 10:51PM
My buddy since HS is an electrical engineer who is the director of power generation for the local utility. We'll do it together one Saturday. We will likely go way beyond code.

If I go much larger, I'll do a transfer switch.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 04, 2021 02:20AM
Racer X
My buddy since HS is an electrical engineer who is the director of power generation for the local utility. We'll do it together one Saturday. We will likely go way beyond code.

If I go much larger, I'll do a transfer switch.

Electrical engineers usually are not good electricians. I have seen to many screw ups by the same over the years.
Date: September 04, 2021 09:54AM
Don C
Heard some official on the news say that they are not repairing the grid, they are building from scratch.

St James Parish noted the damage is extensive enough that they're rebuilding rather than repairing. (That does not apply to Orleans Parish, Jefferson Parish, etc.)

From WWL-TV:
  • As of 9/2/21 Entergy confirmed all four substations feeding St. James Parish were not energized and the parish is 100% without power. However, additional crews have arrived today and this weekend to continue working to repair and replace the damaged infrastructure.
  • Over 340 transmission lines in St. James Parish will need to be replaced.
  • While SJP can anticipate outages to continue for the next few weeks, please know Entergy is actively engaged in getting our infrastructure operational as quickly as possible.
  • Parish officials are working to provide accommodations to Entergy crews including housing in order to speed up the restoration work in St. James Parish.

Trying to find an additional article re/the rebuilding announcement. I did see it announced on WWLTV's live feed via YouTube in the last 48 hours.

FWIW: "St. James Parish is a part of the New Orleans–Metairie, Louisiana metropolitan statistical area, sitting between New Orleans and Baton Rouge on the Mississippi River. According to the 2020 United States census, the population was 20,192."

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2021 09:56AM by Zoidberg.
Date: September 04, 2021 10:09AM
No question, this area is going to be a huge mess for awhile. LaPlace got especially badly hit... there are plenty of areas besides NOLA proper that got hit hard.

And it's not clear (at least, not to me) how much of this has been rebuilding from scratch, rather than a temporary fix. Local scuttlebutt is that they've been sending "feeder lines" into the city, but that may be only a jury rigging.

And on top of this all ... there is more brewing in the Atlantic. Hopefully won't develop into anything significant, but after what we've all just been through, it's safer to pay attention.

Date: September 04, 2021 10:20AM
PeterB - Larry isn't a concern; it'll head north into the open Atlantic. And that disturbance over the Yucatan has 0% chance of formation in the next 48 hours and maybe 30% in the next 5 days. There's also a pressure/front making its way north that should skirt it away. Famous last words, I know, but I'm saying them.

Yeah; basically the City is being powered by a handful of extension cords coming across the river. I'll reserve making any further judgement publicly.

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 04, 2021 12:07PM
A friend has a manual transfer switch that he wired in. Rather engenius in that he hard-connected the breaker switch for the generator input to the main house breaker with a dowell. When you throw on the other is physically forced to do the opposite. So if he turns the house breaker on, the generator is disconnected and vice-versa. Cost him about $5 and seems pretty foolproof

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: September 04, 2021 01:51PM
Zoidberg
PeterB - Larry isn't a concern; it'll head north into the open Atlantic. And that disturbance over the Yucatan has 0% chance of formation in the next 48 hours and maybe 30% in the next 5 days. There's also a pressure/front making its way north that should skirt it away. Famous last words, I know, but I'm saying them.

Yeah; basically the City is being powered by a handful of extension cords coming across the river. I'll reserve making any further judgement publicly.

It's the one over the Yucatan that could be a concern. Remember that Ida started out in that 30% range...

Not to get this political, but we did just have a visit from Biden where he continued with his theme of "build back better", so hopefully there will be money coming in to do exactly that.

Date: September 04, 2021 04:45PM
Just posted by Entergy (9/4, about 3:45 PM) Estimated Map Update (large image); [forums.macresource.com]

TETO (To Each Their Own)

Date: September 04, 2021 06:39PM
Zoidberg
Just posted by Entergy (9/4, about 3:45 PM) Estimated Map Update (large image); [forums.macresource.com]

Here's the link for their actual live map (map will update automatically): [www.etrviewoutage.com]

... they've admitted that it's not always accurate, but it does give a rough idea of where things stand.

And the problem: if this is all "a handful of extension cords coming across the river", the questions are: 1) how long is this going to last; 2) are we going to face more outages whenever they end up making permanent fixes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020