advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple runs into a buzzsaw of criticism, delays intro of NeuralHash technology
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 03, 2021 10:45AM
Last month we announced plans for features intended to help protect children from predators who use communication tools to recruit and exploit them, and limit the spread of Child Sexual Abuse Material. Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers and others, we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple runs into a buzzsaw of criticism, delays intro of NeuralHash technology
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 03, 2021 10:50AM
Good! Feel free to scan anything on your iCloud! Leave my phone alone!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: Apple runs into a buzzsaw of criticism, delays intro of NeuralHash technology
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 03, 2021 11:26AM
This must be the first time in history that AAPL has ever backpedaled on something.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 03, 2021 11:56AM
freeradical
This must be the first time in history that AAPL has ever backpedaled on something.

Not the same thing but they've had to eat crow on occasion:

PowerMac G4 400 , er make that 350.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 03, 2021 12:09PM
Who's going to protect the kids from Tim Cook??? dunno smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 02:34PM by testcase.
Date: September 03, 2021 12:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 12:25PM by RgrF.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 03, 2021 01:21PM
Rolando
Good! Feel free to scan anything on your iCloud! Leave my phone alone!

that was the plan all along - the roll out was a PR disaster.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 03, 2021 02:37PM
"NeuralHash"

Is that what's smoked by Apple's top management personnel? dunno smiley
Posted by: zachdog
Date: September 04, 2021 02:56PM
I really like the idea behind this. Child trafficking is absolutely terrible.

The roll out announcement was both arrogant and tone deaf, especially considering Apple’s consistent messaging about privacy. How will they screen out photos of kids in the bathtub? How will they screen out medical photos? What about false positives? Who is going to monitor and review the process? Are we all considered guilty until proven innocent?

I imagine we will see this again, but Apple has some work to do.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 04, 2021 04:52PM
I guess people haven't read up on what the proposal is. They aren't going to be scanning your phone. A naked pic of your baby in the tub will not get you thrown in jail.

What this does is check photos uploaded against a database of known illegal images. I assume that they would be looking for bit by bit matches - no human eyes needed.

I think that is just fine, but the way the news was released, it sounds like an army of prudes would be checking every image taken by any iphone.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 05, 2021 12:33AM
zachdog
I really like the idea behind this. Child trafficking is absolutely terrible.

The roll out announcement was both arrogant and tone deaf, especially considering Apple’s consistent messaging about privacy. How will they screen out photos of kids in the bathtub? How will they screen out medical photos? What about false positives? Who is going to monitor and review the process? Are we all considered guilty until proven innocent?

I imagine we will see this again, but Apple has some work to do.

Apple has already clearly answered all those questions… none of which are the real issue. The real issue is the potential for abuse of this technology at the government level at some future date.

It is what it is.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: September 06, 2021 09:11AM
I know Apple answered most of these questions, but they introduced the idea in their typical arrogant fashion. One of the other issues is that the company is stepping foot into law enforcement. I don’t think any of us want an Apple police, Microsoft police, etc. Sure, that won’t happen…but this could be a slippery slope if Apple starts implementing back-door access to privacy. What could go wrong?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 06, 2021 12:00PM
zachdog
I know Apple answered most of these questions, but they introduced the idea in their typical arrogant fashion. One of the other issues is that the company is stepping foot into law enforcement. I don’t think any of us want an Apple police, Microsoft police, etc. Sure, that won’t happen…but this could be a slippery slope if Apple starts implementing back-door access to privacy. What could go wrong?

So help me understand your thinking here: If you knew Apple had already answered those questions, why did you post them in a way that implied that it hadn’t?

It is what it is.
Date: September 07, 2021 12:15AM
from a Matthew Green Twitter thread:

The story here, for those who may have forgotten 2015 (it was a long time ago!) is that the NSA inserted a backdoor into a major encryption standard and then leaned on manufacturers to install it. The backdoor was in a pseudorandom number generator called Dual EC. It wasn’t terribly subtle but it was *deniable*. You could say to yourself “well, that could be horribly exploitable but nobody would do that.” Lots of serious people said that, in fact. But they did
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020