advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are Home Depot sample size paints *real* paint?
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 05, 2021 12:47AM
I just need a little bit more Glidden paint to finish an outdoor project. If I buy a quart, most of it will probably sit on a shelf for several years until it’s no longer usable. What do the experts here say?

TIA

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are Home Depot sample size paints *real* paint?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 05, 2021 01:07AM
yes but IIRC you can’t chose the gloss. they do it all satin i believe. i bought at least 4 different sample colors when i was trying to decide on a kitchen color last year.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2021 01:14AM
I don't think you can get a sample in outdoor colors but its worth asking.

Posted by: Carm
Date: September 05, 2021 01:31AM
Buy a quart. Get what you need.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 05, 2021 05:19AM
Carm
Buy a quart. Get what you need.

This. You'll likely need to touch up here and there as time goes on. You could get a couple of empty pint containers and put the extra in them. Fill one to the very top and seal it carefully. It can last a LONG time full and sealed.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 05, 2021 06:51AM
HD paint samples are real paint.
Unless things have changed in the last year since I left working in the paint department there, you could get the exact sheen you want, too.
IIRC, the Behr samples were labeled as indoor/outdoor. I do not remember if the Glidden paint samples were labeled the same, but I would assume they are.
Be sure to take your original label, from your larger empty can, so you get as close a match as possible. This will give the person who mixes the paint the brand, grade, sheen, color, etc. that they need to make your paint.

Edit: the sample sizes will do about 12sf, one coat, IIRC.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 06:53AM by rgG.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 05, 2021 08:15AM
how much is a quart versus a sample?
Date: September 05, 2021 08:36AM
rgG
Unless things have changed in the last year since I left working in the paint department there, you could get the exact sheen you want, too.
IIRC, the Behr samples were labeled as indoor/outdoor. I do not remember if the Glidden paint samples were labeled the same, but I would assume they are.
Be sure to take your original label, from your larger empty can, so you get as close a match as possible. This will give the person who mixes the paint the brand, grade, sheen, color, etc. that they need to make your paint.

Sheen! yes that’s the word and maybe it varies by store but my local HD would not let me get the sheen i wanted to try in a sample size. this was summer 2020.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 05, 2021 08:48AM
graylocks
rgG

Sheen! yes that’s the word and maybe it varies by store but my local HD would not let me get the sheen i wanted to try in a sample size. this was summer 2020.

Some samples only come in certain sheens, in the Glidden line. Their samples were a little weird in that regard. Most often the sheen would be available in a different "quality" in a similar line, but they could have been out of it or didn't know what they were doing, lol.
It could also have changed since I left, March 2020.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 08:51AM by rgG.
Date: September 05, 2021 08:50AM
space-time

Sample is probably $3-$5
Quart, depending on quality of paint, probably $12-$15, could be more.

Date: September 05, 2021 10:23AM
rgG
space-time

Sample is probably $3-$5
Quart, depending on quality of paint, probably $12-$15, could be more.

besides the dollar cost difference there’s also the environmental costs. i hate having excess paint around that i eventually have to figure out how to dispose of responsibly. just this summer loaded my car with paint accumulated from 18 and 10 year old projects i had sitting in my crawl space. it was my county’s hazard waste day. i say if you can get by with a sample amount do that.

Posted by: steve...
Date: September 05, 2021 05:24PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I am good to go with the sample size paint. thumbs up

I'm always amazed at the knowledge found here.

Northern California Coast
Date: September 07, 2021 05:15PM
One of my friends told me today that HD had stopped doing samples in different sheens. Like graylocks said, they are all in satin now, at least for the regular Behr paints.
I guess that has changed since I worked there. Man that would have made things so much easier for me. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020