advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need to up my garden hose game
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2021 07:22AM
I bought a 50ft. cheapo brand (Tacklife) expandable hose 2 years ago for $16, it just failed over the weekend. Seems the inner latex core tore apart from the spigot end of the hose. No easy way to fix that I can see. I took reasonably good care of it, I guess I got my money's worth. Still feel bad about tossing it. The brass fittings on the ends are still quite nice.

I really like the functionality of the hose, as it becomes substantially smaller once you drain the water out of it, so I am looking for another one. Surely there is a better brand than Tacklife, but is 2-3 years what I should expect for any expandable style hose? Any recommendations?

I have a regular hose (not expandable) on the other side of the house, not sure how old as it was there when we bought the place. The outside is cracking a bit but no leaks yet. The bulk of it is kind of a pain to deal with at times but maybe this is the way?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need to up my garden hose game
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 06, 2021 07:43AM
mikebw
...I have a regular hose (not expandable) on the other side of the house, not sure how old as it was there when we bought the place. The outside is cracking a bit but no leaks yet. The bulk of it is kind of a pain to deal with at times but maybe this is the way?

agree smiley
I'm still using the high-quality garden hose I acquired when I bought my first house, in 1990. Had to replace the male fitting once, but other than that - still works fine, with no cracks or other visible wear (other than dirt).

I think what has helped with the longevity is that I keep it in a Suncast Hose Hideaway (the thought being to keep it shielded from the sun).
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 06, 2021 10:32AM
I still have a green rubber Craftsman I bought in 1984, never put away, in the weather 24/7.

Grateful11
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 06, 2021 11:32AM
I've been happy with the "Flexilla" hoses I've bought:

[www.amazon.com]

Otherwise, look for "Contractor Grade" claim on the label. Best fittings are BRASS with a HEXAGONAL end so you can get a wrench on it if necessary (as opposed to pliers or some other tool that will crush the fitting). Do you need a hose that's "Drinking Water Safe"? Most hoses are NOT rated as such.

How FAR do you need to move the water? Small diameter hoses will choke down the flow as the distance increases. When I owned a house, I needed 400'+ to reach the back of the property. A hose with an inside diameter of 3/4" handled that distance giving me reasonable water pressure at the end.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 06, 2021 11:57AM
I have never known one of those expanding hoses to last more than a couple years. You could probably get it to last longer if kept out of the sun. But not much.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 06, 2021 12:36PM
Heavy duty

never kink

and yes they are heavy.

or resolve to buy the cheapest thing you can more often.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 06, 2021 01:18PM
project farm... [www.youtube.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 06, 2021 01:19PM
Grateful11
I still have a green rubber Craftsman I bought in 1984, never put away, in the weather 24/7.

Rubber is the way to go because they rarely kink, remain flexible in cold temperatures and last a long time. Cheaper hoses are the opposite. Rubber hoses are very expensive, but IMO are worth it for all the aggravation they save you.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 01:22PM by Ammo.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 06, 2021 01:50PM
I’m with Grateful. Black rubber Craftsman hose is 26 years old. Still great.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 06, 2021 02:13PM
The latex is weakened by chlorine in public water systems. During use, the latex stretches to 3-4 times its relaxed width. As it weakens it becomes unable to stretch this much, and all of mine have ruptured somewhere along their length, never lasting more than 2-3 years. Yours may just have had a poorly made anchor point failure. Wifey likes the light-weight nature of these hoses, so we keep buying them for her to use. Like others have stated, my rubber hoses are still fine after 20 years or so, except the ones that were gnawed by squirrels, but even those were easily repaired and are still in use.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 06, 2021 04:51PM
On the advice (I think) of someone here, I got me one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

... despite some of the negative reviews, I've found that it's held up very well.

And to complement it, I also got one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

... again, which has held up pretty well so far. (At that price, I can't really argue if it only lasts 2-3 years.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: September 06, 2021 06:48PM
Second Flexzilla. Expensive but a joy to use… you can contort them so many ways and they are not heavy.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2021 07:47PM
jonny
I have never known one of those expanding hoses to last more than a couple years. You could probably get it to last longer if kept out of the sun. But not much.

great on a boat or RV, but not really anywhere else.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 07, 2021 04:55AM
Cheap Cheap
$14.99 + +

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: michael_s
Date: September 07, 2021 08:49AM
I'm testing the hose waters with an Eley. Seems well made and has brass fittings that will not corrode. Stays flexible. So far.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 07, 2021 11:17AM
I splurged years ago when I bought the house, although i couldn't tell you the brand. It's a gray hose with a stripe on the side and brass fittings. Left outside in winter on a few occasions and still nice. The other is a Costco brand that is also very good, typical green color.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 07, 2021 02:29PM
Going to take a chance on this one - [www.amazon.com]
(Aqua Joe AJFJH50-58-MAX 50-Ft x 5/8-Inch FiberJacket Hose w/Aluminum Fittings, Heavy Duty Couplings)

It might turn out to be terrible but at least it comes with a 2-year warranty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2021 02:34PM by mikebw.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 08, 2021 03:08PM
My black Craftsman is 30 years old or so. It replaced the green one that some tradesman's truck crushed the connector on. Sears just handed me a new one.

Those were the days.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020