advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV Wall Mount
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: September 07, 2021 01:09PM
So my new rescue pup pulled the curtain down...which knocked the surfboard down...which hit my 50" Samsung off the table into his crate...destroying the screen...

So, I'm going to have to start TV shopping which is a pain...but not nearly as much of a pain as shopping for a wall mount to prevent (hopefully) from happening again.

I need the mount to be able to swivel, not tip down but swivel on it's vertical axis. The viewing sofa is off to the side, so the mount needs to move accordingly.

Looking at Amazon, the choices are many....anyone have experience on what to get and what to avoid?

Probably go with a 55" Samsung, not a particularly heavy TV.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV Wall Mount
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 07, 2021 01:32PM
Surf,

Buy the TV and then choose a well designed full-motion wall mount that suits the specs specs of the TV (weight, VESA pattern, etc. Full-motion is key since you need to swivel the TV on its vertical access. I've been happy with models from Monoprice. Not the least expensive. Not the most expensive. Well made, easy to install on the wall, easy to install components that go onto the TV and easy to install the TV (with mount components) onto the wall.

Added bonus. Most full-motion mounts extend, which makes a big difference when it comes to connecting cables. I'd never buy a flat or tit-only mount for this reason alone. Always a full-motion model.

It's been many years since I bought a wall mount for a TV. I'd look at models recommended by Wirecutter first and, based on why they've recommended a model, choose one of their recommendations or use their advice to find a model from a different manufacturer.

Wirecutter likes this one:

[www.amazon.com]

FWIW, and I hate to say it but I have to say it... Wall mounting your TV isn't necessarily going to solve your problem. You need to teach your dog not to pull curtains. You also need to properly secure your surfboard (and/or move it elsewhere). That way, even if your pooch pulls the curtain, it isn't going to knock down the surfboard.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 07, 2021 01:47PM
If you are only going 55", not seeing the need for some huge mount that can handle 90" TVs too?

monoprioce is a good choice, we have a couple of the simple $30 slim models holding 55" TVs. One outside, one inside.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 07, 2021 02:11PM
we bought a monoprice for a 55" TCL a few years back.
sturdy, well made, inexpensive.
It is not a vertical swivel model, just plain vanilla.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 07, 2021 02:28PM
Monoprice.. excellent mounts and excellent price

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 07, 2021 02:35PM
I have two of the Sanus Simplicity SLF 226B mounts. One each on a 55" and 65" LG OLED. Not sure if this a Costco-only model, but they usually have one on display so you can move it around and examine how it mounts and functions.

Unfortunately, it isn't on sale right now, but it went on sale a couple times last year for under $100.

[www.costco.com]

The design appears to be very similar to the one Robert M linked to, so that one may be fine, but I do have first-hand experience with this one on two TVs. It's fairly easy to install and gives you some leeway for lateral positioning depending on your stud locations...and it extends quite far to allow you to angle the screen without one side bumping into the wall.

I bought the first one not certain it would meet my needs, but it was Costco, and it was on sale, so I didn't have anything to lose. Turns out it worked perfectly for the 55" which had to be positioned in a corner. I liked it enough that I purchased a 2nd one when it went on sale for the other TV. The larger TV is pushed flush against the wall the majority of the time, but it's nice to be able to articulate it on occasion—even if just to access the back panel connections.
Date: September 07, 2021 03:37PM
Thanks folks, I have a starting place now.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 07, 2021 04:00PM
I have two of these and am very happy with them. One of the benefits is that the mount and arm get attached to the wall. The bracket gets attached to the TV and then hung on the arm. It can be adjusted on the arm left or right a bit before being locked in place. I leveled the piece that the tv hangs on when I mounted it as I noticed that the assembly isn't perfectly plumb.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 07, 2021 04:05PM
forgot my link... Not sure if this has all the adjustment you need, but this is 99% the last model we had. It was outside with our 55" TCL.

Are your TV choices open for discussion? Not sure how much TV you watch, or how important it is for you... we are less picky. 4K, HDR, smart, etc TCL/hosense/vzio/etc are half the cost of a Samsung... and still provide a great picture....

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 07, 2021 04:10PM
Anyone else has any thoughts, I'm open to anything.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 07, 2021 06:14PM
jdc
forgot my link... Not sure if this has all the adjustment you need, but this is 99% the last model we had. It was outside with our 55" TCL.

Are your TV choices open for discussion? Not sure how much TV you watch, or how important it is for you... we are less picky. 4K, HDR, smart, etc TCL/hosense/vzio/etc are half the cost of a Samsung... and still provide a great picture....

[www.amazon.com]

Note that hanging a 55 inch TV on this type of mount is most likely a 2 person job as it's pretty much a "one" piece mount.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 08, 2021 03:41AM
I’m in the market as well and am completely flabbergasted and intimidated by the amount of selection monoprice has

How does one even begin to work their way through their inventory, esp for full motion mounts

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020