advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's play "Fix or Junk" (Transmission meltdown)
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 07, 2021 03:16PM
Poll
Melted transmission. What to do with the car?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
13 votes were received.
Repair the transmission 9

69%
Junk or sell AS-IS, get another car 1

8%
MAVIC knows a guy who can do it for three-fitty or another suggestion. 3

23%

2008 Toyota Sienna
130,000 Miles
BlueBook $8,000

Probably a complete transmission replacement. I don't fully understand what when wrong first or what I could have done differently, but the end result is probably a bricked transmission.

New transmission $2500? PLUS INSTALL
Used dice roll $1200 plus install.
Rebuilt somewhere in between.

I have the funds to buy a replacement used vehicle, though of course it's not an optimal market time to do so.

What says the hive mind?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's play "Fix or Junk" (Transmission meltdown)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 07, 2021 03:23PM
Dump and fill with 3309 (or whatever called for) and add asome TransTune fluid.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 07, 2021 03:25PM
Do you love the car? Fix it. Do you not love the car? Sell it for junk and move on.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 07, 2021 03:28PM
If you junk it, find and buy the replacement before you do.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 07, 2021 03:29PM
pRICE cUBE
Do you love the car? Fix it. Do you not love the car? Sell it for junk and move on.

Agreed.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 07, 2021 03:32PM
Sounds like a question for a toyota forum.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 07, 2021 03:33PM
Keep it and fix. You could probably find a decent junkyard tranny for low $.

Both new and used auto prices are sky high right now with hardly any inventory at the dealers.

NOT a buyers market, IMO.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: September 07, 2021 03:33PM
Toyotanation.com
Date: September 07, 2021 03:34PM
How bad is it?

If you can still drive it, it's certainly worth it to try my suggestion above.
Date: September 07, 2021 03:41PM
mrbigstuff
How bad is it?

It is undriveable. It lost all its fluid in the process of collapsing. My mechanic friend refilled it but could not get the transmission to budge. This friend is not set up to take the repairs any further himself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2021 03:42PM by Acer.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 07, 2021 03:55PM
Unless the rebuilt/used trans comes with a 12 month warranty, I would go with new.
Date: September 07, 2021 03:56PM
Acer
mrbigstuff
How bad is it?

It is undriveable. It lost all its fluid in the process of collapsing. My mechanic friend refilled it but could not get the transmission to budge. This friend is not set up to take the repairs any further himself.

Did you hit something to puncture the case?

Odd to lose fluid. At any rate, a fill up with proper fluid is a cheap gamble.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 07, 2021 03:57PM
Are there other issues with the car? If so, may not be worth keeping.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 07, 2021 04:07PM
mrbigstuff
Dump and fill with 3309 (or whatever called for) and add asome TransTune fluid.

Do that and trade for a new vehicle, you will still pay a few thousand.

If its in otherwise good shape, fix it. A replacement van will be AT least $10,000 for anything one year newer! A new van is upwards of $30,000, IF you can get one.

[www.cars.com][]=toyota&maximum_distance=30&mileage_max=&models[]=toyota-sienna&page_size=20&sort=list_price&stock_type=used&year_max=&year_min=2007&zip=78228

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 07, 2021 04:10PM
About 20 years ago, I was speaking with a Transmission Tech. He told me that if people simply had a transmission service done every other year, their transmission would last forever. Said “service” was basically change the fluid and filter (if there was a filter; otherwise clean the filter screen). Cost < $100 (or about $50/year). MOST vehicle Service Guides mention NOTHING re the automatic transmission. No wonder people ignore / neglect their vehicle’s ATM.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 07, 2021 05:04PM
Many modern vehicles, even going back 2 decades+, don't even have a service interval for the transmission. They are filled for life. The life of the part, NOT the life of the vehicle.

My partner's 2003 Mountaineer is that way. Not even a dipstick/fill tube.

My old Buicks now have drain plugs installed in their transmissions, and rear differentials, One Buick has an external 2 qt chevy truck filter in line of the cooler line, and the big car, the same, as well as a deep pan from a motor home. They never get more than almost hot, never close to burning the fluid no matter how much I beat on them.

In any vehicle, if you can, and it isn't already synthetic fluid, change it over. It takes higher temps without burning/oxidizing, and lubricates better. Lasts longer too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 07, 2021 06:04PM
How nice is the rest of the vehicle? Clean interior, rust free, no body damage? I'd be inclined to fix it if everything else on the car is in great shape and you could expect another 100k out of it. If not, I'd sell.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: September 07, 2021 06:05PM
On second thought (or may be fourth), do you trust this mechanic? Again, very odd for a trans to just up and lose all of its fluid. And even if it does, all that happens is that the car will not move, you don't burn anything out like an engine losing oil.

There is a guy here who has a trans shop. Maybe he'll chime in? Is it Pat?
Date: September 07, 2021 07:14PM
The mechanic in question is just a very capable friend. He offered to take a look, in case it was something straightforward he could fix. He sees he is now out in of his depth and is just giving me the worst case scenario. The next step is to tow it to a professional shop for a proper diagnosis.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 08, 2021 06:49AM
Can you even get a new part these days? there is a shortage of everything. You may have seen a $2500 price tag for a new tranny, but who knows if you can actually get one.

Your options may be very limited, no matter which direction you go. Sorry for the bad news.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 08, 2021 01:10PM
Acer
The mechanic in question is just a very capable friend. He offered to take a look, in case it was something straightforward he could fix. He sees he is now out in of his depth and is just giving me the worst case scenario. The next step is to tow it to a professional shop for a proper diagnosis.
I'd go with the next step, then. Find out exactly what the problem is, then work from there. I also second consulting Toyota-specific forums to see how common the problem is, etc.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 09, 2021 02:06PM
If my math is correct, you're only putting on 10,000 miles per year, which is on the low side of average.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020