advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bezos to eliminate “hew-mons” at Whole Foods
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 08, 2021 11:00AM
No more human cashiers. Going to guess this will work it’s way through all retail big chains someday. Several Costco locations I have been to have expanded self checkout lanes.

[abcnews.go.com]

NEW YORK -- There will be something missing at two Whole Foods stores opening next year: the rows of cashiers.

Amazon, which owns the grocery chain, said Wednesday that it will bring its cashier-less technology to two Whole Foods stores for the first time, letting shoppers grab what they need and leave without having to open their wallets. Cameras and sensors track what’s taken off shelves. Items are charged to an Amazon account after customers leave the store with them.

But there will be an option for those who want to shop the old-fashioned way: Self-checkout lanes will be available that take cash, gift cards and other types of payment.

Amazon first unveiled the cashier-less technology in 2018 at an Amazon Go convenience store and has expanded it to larger Amazon supermarkets. But it will be the first time it has appeared at Whole Foods, a chain of more than 500 grocery stores Amazon bought four years ago.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bezos to eliminate “hew-mons” at Whole Foods
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 08, 2021 11:15AM
Self checkouts here seem to be quite variable within a chain and even a store. They've been reduced in some stores that had more atone time. I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of casual theft at a given store. They work for honest people and can be exploited by the dishonest.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 08, 2021 11:23AM
Just my opinion, but the current self check out technology is not going to work as the only way to check out at costco.

Currently everything depends on the weight and you need to put the items on the "out" tray so the system can track the weight. There are way too many big bulky things at costco for this to be feasible for everyone.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 08, 2021 11:32AM
timg
Just my opinion, but the current self check out technology is not going to work as the only way to check out at costco.

Currently everything depends on the weight and you need to put the items on the "out" tray so the system can track the weight. There are way too many big bulky things at costco for this to be feasible for everyone.

Can you elaborate further? Do you mean for produce?

The last time we were at Costco, we just flipped everything in the cart so the UPC's were showing and the cashier scanned everything in the cart without removing or touching anything, so nothing would have gotten weighed. And you almost always leave the big bulky items in the cart as opposed to putting them on the conveyor.

Or do you mean that items are so large it will be hard for consumers to take them out of the cart and scan them on a fixed scanning platform? In which case, places like Costco would need to have hand scanners for customers to use. Home Depot already does this (at least around me) which made self checkout WAY EASIER than using the fixed in place scanners.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: September 08, 2021 11:36AM
Self Checkout is hell!!! Certain age brackets and just "people" are just so confused... I think self checkout would work at costco "if" you could scan while you are shopping with your cell phone / app for smaller shopping trips (so they can review your order before you leave the store).
Date: September 08, 2021 11:38AM
timg

For heavier items at Costco, usually a human comes over and scans items with a portable scanner.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 11:42AM
They will still have a human or two for when something goes wrong or someone just can’t handle the process.
I personally will almost always opt for self checkout at any store that has it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 08, 2021 11:51AM
Gareth
timg

The last time we were at Costco, we just flipped everything in the cart so the UPC's were showing and the cashier scanned everything in the cart without removing or touching anything, so nothing would have gotten weighed. And you almost always leave the big bulky items in the cart as opposed to putting them on the conveyor.

Or do you mean that items are so large it will be hard for consumers to take them out of the cart and scan them on a fixed scanning platform? In which case, places like Costco would need to have hand scanners for customers to use. Home Depot already does this (at least around me) which made self checkout WAY EASIER than using the fixed in place scanners.

I think the weight tracker tim is referring to has more to do with loss, as in theft. The scale that is used seems to possess the ability to know if you put a bag of flour in lieu of a package of cookies, for example.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 08, 2021 11:57AM
At least in CA you cannot use Self Checkout if you have any alcoholic beverages in your cart. Human cashier needs to (or is supposed to) check ID. Wonder how they'll deal with that.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 08, 2021 12:01PM
rgG
They will still have a human or two for when something goes wrong or someone just can’t handle the process.

Self checkout may be convenient for some. I prefer to keep human workers in a job.

=wr=
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 08, 2021 12:02PM
GGD
At least in CA you cannot use Self Checkout if you have any alcoholic beverages in your cart. Human cashier needs to (or is supposed to) check ID. Wonder how they'll deal with that.

probably the same way Walmart handles it. you scan and a message comes up to hold for authorization. an attendant comes over to check you ID and punches in a code. this also happens for certain glues and cold medications.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 08, 2021 12:04PM
GGD

At the local Meijer that I frequent, they have a new Self Checkout corral (one way in - one way out) and allow Alcohol to be scanned at self checkout. Some need an assisted over ride by the Store "floating Monitors" that watch you bag and scan your items.

As you leave, a second "monitor" removes those NON THEFT lock tops on the alcohol bottles at another station.
Date: September 08, 2021 12:05PM
wave rider
rgG

Self checkout may be convenient for some. I prefer to keep human workers in a job.

I have preferred self-check out for years. sorry, but some of the human workers particularly at walmart are slow and I hate getting stuck behind customers with a cart full of stuff that want to argue about how something scanned.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 08, 2021 12:05PM
mrbigstuff
Gareth
timg

I think the weight tracker tim is referring to has more to do with loss, as in theft. The scale that is used seems to possess the ability to know if you put a bag of flour in lieu of a package of cookies, for example.

Ah, yes, sorry. The scale at the self checkout stand where you "bag" your items. Which always drives me nuts at the grocery store because I forget to put my bags there in the beginning, then it gets angry at me, so then I just don't use my bags and have to bag after I've scanned everything instead of as I go.

At some point, we'll probably just move to some sort of RF ID tag, where we can just push the whole cart through a scanner, and all the RF ID tags get read and tallied up!
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 08, 2021 12:14PM
This is not "self check out" as it currently exists in grocery stores. This is actually getting your stuff, then walking out the door. The app knows what you picked up and charges your account. No "checkout" experience at all.

This is only at 2 WF stores, it's part of Amazon's machine learning research that they've been doing at the Amazon Go grocery store in Seattle, which opened last year.

Produce and deli items are sold by unit or bundle, so no weighing. There are humans to check IDs for alcohol purhases.

This technology is still pretty expensive to build out so don't expect to see ot at your neighborhood store soon.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 08, 2021 12:16PM
Publix next to me added self checkout. I inadvertently shoplifted a 2 liter bottle of soda one trip and a can of soup on another. I was in a rush to get out of the covid zone. I felt bad about it and would have taken them back in normal times. But I don't want to have to explain it to dick-nosers in customer service and risk getting sick. I'm sure a bit of shrinkage is build int the price, especially at Whole Foods. No regrets.
Date: September 08, 2021 12:18PM
graylocks
wave rider
rgG

I have preferred self-check out for years. sorry, but some of the human workers particularly at walmart are slow and I hate getting stuck behind customers with a cart full of stuff that want to argue about how something scanned.

I specifically use human checkers especially in stores like Safeway whose workers are unionized. As a long time union member, I want to support other union members.

Banks did the same thing with automated tellers. Pre Covid times, I would mostly go inside at the bank. Before they closed the branch near me, some of the tellers knew me by name (and I theirs). I enjoyed keeping them employed.

=wr=
Date: September 08, 2021 12:27PM
There is self checkout and just walk out of the store checkout. Either way, less humans will be employed to be cashiers at stores that can afford the technology.

I’d imagine some criminals will get wind of this and stroll right on out. The one or two humans out front wouldn’t be enough to stop someone or a mob of people from running out with a bunch of stuff. They probably have already calculated this cost and it is below paying a human.

Date: September 08, 2021 12:35PM
Have you ever been a cashier? It's a mind numbing job. I'm not sure I understand the drive to preserve that particular work. Amazon is not trying to elimimate jobs, they are creating more interesting, better paying jobs and a better customer experience.
They want the people employed in the store to be preparing fresh food, creating displays, answering product questions, etc.

It has been well received in Seattle.

Also, you can't shoplift from an Amazon Go. The app knows you are I'm there and everything you touch. Ceres are everywhere watching your every move. Much less theft than with human cashiers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 12:37PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: September 08, 2021 12:36PM
pRICE cUBE
I’d imagine some criminals will get wind of this and stroll right on out. The one or two humans out front wouldn’t be enough to stop someone or a mob of people from running out with a bunch of stuff.

Around here, the criminals already do that, self checkout or not. Most stores have a no-confrontation policy and the "security" guards are just for show (and their presence may stop a tentative shoplifter).
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2021 12:52PM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE
I’d imagine some criminals will get wind of this and stroll right on out. The one or two humans out front wouldn’t be enough to stop someone or a mob of people from running out with a bunch of stuff.

Around here, the criminals already do that, self checkout or not. Most stores have a no-confrontation policy and the "security" guards are just for show (and their presence may stop a tentative shoplifter).

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Cuase this: [nypost.com]

And of course, this leads to a much much larger discussion... if we catch a person stealing $200 of stuff, whats the punishment? A ticket? That will prob never be paid? how many tickets until jail time? Do we have room for all those peeps? And of course we all know it costs millions to house inmates... and then once they get out... now a felon, so little chance of a decent job. + back to shoplifting. so snowball effect.

Good article about CVS struggles it in WSJ. Sorry, I know u need a subscription, I don't have one.: [www.wsj.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 08, 2021 12:55PM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

I would definitely abide by the no confrontation policy. I am not going to risk my life for an employer’s stuff that is probably insured or will be written off. Some criminals don’t care who they hurt or kill.

Most jurisdictions, security guard have limited use of force, basically security theater. When I enter a store with a security guard, I set my awareness sensors up a notch. They hired security because things have already gone down at that location.

Date: September 08, 2021 12:55PM
Lemon Drop
Have you ever been a cashier? It's a mind numbing job. I'm not sure I understand the drive to preserve that particular work. Amazon is not trying to elimimate jobs, they are creating more interesting, better paying jobs and a better customer experience.

I have long contended that the anti-walmart, anti-self checkout posts on my Facebook feeds are made by people who don't actually shop there or have ever worked those jobs. A few years ago while visiting friends in the SF Bay Area I wanted something from Walmart. Fortunately I had my own rental car and could get there on my own never mentioning to my friends where I was going.

No, I don't think walmart is perfect but it is an easy target to prove your progressive cred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 12:56PM by graylocks.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 08, 2021 12:59PM
Lemon Drop
They want the people employed in the store to be preparing fresh food, creating displays, answering product questions, etc.

Also, you can't shoplift from an Amazon Go. The app knows you are I'm there and everything you touch. Ceres are everywhere watching your every move. Much less theft than with human cashiers.

Yep, it is.
When I started part time at HD I was a cashier. I couldn’t wait to move to another position.
I much preferred supervising the four self checkouts to being on a single register.
The only good thing about starting as a cashier was that I got to see a wide variety of the products that we sold.
I knew most of them though, as HD had gotten a disproportionately large share of my disposable income, over the years.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: September 08, 2021 01:00PM
graylocks
Lemon Drop

I have long contended that the anti-walmart, anti-self checkout posts on my Facebook feeds are made by people who don't actually shop there or have ever worked those jobs. A few years ago while visiting friends in the SF Bay Area I wanted something from Walmart. Fortunately I had my own rental car and could get there on my own never mentioning to my friends where I was going.

No, I don't think walmart is perfect but it is an easy target to prove your progressive cred.

I find it interesting when people in rural areas say on social media that they will boycott Walmart over this or that issue. Most of the time, WM is the only game in town for several counties. WM ran out all the competition, especially mom and pop stores. Wonder where they actually shop? Probably WM a few days later.

Date: September 08, 2021 01:01PM

And of course, this leads to a much much larger discussion... if we catch a person stealing $200 of stuff, whats the punishment? A ticket? That will prob never be paid? how many tickets until jail time? Do we have room for all those peeps? And of course we all know it costs millions to house inmates... and then once they get out... now a felon, so little chance of a decent job. + back to shoplifting. so snowball effect.

Walmart lets you shoplift all you want - until you hit a certain threshold - something like $2000 / lifetime total. They track shoplifters very well over time and build good cases. People think they are just really good at theft, until they cross that magic threshold. Then, no so good. I'm sure something similar will be applied here.
Date: September 08, 2021 01:04PM
Lemon Drop

I've had a boatload of mind numbing jobs, including union ones, and the union ones were always SO MUCH better.

Amazon does not have a very good labor history.

Automation was one of the lies I was taught in my youth. Automation would free us from onerous labor and allow us to pursue more esthetic life, to enjoy living. So much for that. Automation in the main, has padded the business bottom line.

Other lies I remember specifically: Flying cars, although they seem to be coming soon. Atomic energy would be so cheap that they would not install electric meters on houses and businesses. RollingEyesSmiley5

=wr=
Date: September 08, 2021 01:08PM
p8712
Walmart lets you shoplift all you want - until you hit a certain threshold - something like $2000 / lifetime total. They track shoplifters very well over time and build good cases. People think they are just really good at theft, until they cross that magic threshold. Then, no so good. I'm sure something similar will be applied here.

don't know where you live but that's not true here in GA. A friend of mine's teenage daughter got arrested for less than $20 of make-up. Walmart went full tilt. Mom had to shell out for lawyers, fines, and the daughter got a year probation. Walmart lawyers cited a no-tolerance policy.

Date: September 08, 2021 01:17PM
wave rider
Lemon Drop

I've had a boatload of mind numbing jobs, including union ones, and the union ones were always SO MUCH better.

Amazon does not have a very good labor history.

Automation was one of the lies I was taught in my youth. Automation would free us from onerous labor and allow us to pursue more esthetic life, to enjoy living. So much for that. Automation in the main, has padded the business bottom line.

Other lies I remember specifically: Flying cars, although they seem to be coming soon. Atomic energy would be so cheap that they would not install electric meters on houses and businesses. RollingEyesSmiley5

This isn't warehouse work. I agree in that arena Amazon sucks.

But when it comes to innovative retail in person grocery shopping technology, they are doing cool stuff. Very limited and very expensive now, experimental only. May not ever be cost effective enough to go mainstream.

There will still be plenty of mind numbing jobs at the grocery store.
Date: September 08, 2021 01:18PM
graylocks
p8712

don't know where you live but that's not true here in GA. A friend of mine's teenage daughter got arrested for less than $20 of make-up. Walmart went full tilt. Mom had to shell out for lawyers, fines, and the daughter got a year probation. Walmart lawyers cited a no-tolerance policy.

Interesting. I imagine there's some kind of quota on busts they gotta hit, too.

1k-2k
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 08, 2021 01:49PM
pRICE cUBE
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

I would definitely abide by the no confrontation policy. I am not going to risk my life for an employer’s stuff that is probably insured or will be written off. Some criminals don’t care who they hurt or kill.

Most jurisdictions, security guard have limited use of force, basically security theater. When I enter a store with a security guard, I set my awareness sensors up a notch. They hired security because things have already gone down at that location.

Here's what Lowe's did with shoplifters at one store. *Hint* They did absolutely nothing to the brazen thieves that took what looked like a few thousand dollars worth of stuff.

[old.reddit.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2021 01:50PM
....where are the people [ soylent green IS people ].....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2021 01:55PM
1) It's a job
2) It won't kill you like Amazon warehouse
3) It's a job $$$
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 08, 2021 02:00PM
timg

agree smiley

Personally, if there is a human available, I go there, unless I have less than 5 items and the robot line is short.

No one is getting rich being a cashier, but they have someplace to be and other humans to interact with.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 08, 2021 02:03PM
I've worked as a cashier for 2-3 years in college. It was a part time job for beer money. I literally punched a clock in the employee breakroom and punched the clock again at the end of the day. I did my 20-ish hours a week and moved on with my life and classes.

I could've made more money if I "worked the floor" in sales. But I really didn't want to be bothered. I chatted with the other cashiers during slow times. Commiserated with them during the busy times. Chatted with customers, many of whom were tourists. I really didn't mind the job at the time.

This was before scanners. Every sku number had to be entered in by hand at the register. I got pretty nimble with the keypad smiling smiley

Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 08, 2021 02:19PM
d4
This was before scanners. Every sku number had to be entered in by hand at the register. I got pretty nimble with the keypad smiling smiley

scanners! skus! young punks!

when I worked the register it was completely by hand.
Read the price, weigh the produce.
Paper bags.
And cash damn money!

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 08, 2021 02:26PM
Our local grocery stores generally hire seasonal J1 employees to fill cashier positions. There's definitely language barriers and a lack of product knowledge and technology proficiency, which means the human checkout lines are usually dreadfully slow.

Therefore I choose self checkout 95% of the time unless I am buying alcohol.

The self checkout lines at Costco are always much shorter and we rarely buy more than a few things at a time, so we choose self checkout 100% of the time there.

We just noted a new self-check corral at the Reno Whole Foods. It looked painfully slow, as the typical Whole Foods shopper seemed to be over 70 years old and not familiar with the process.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 08, 2021 02:32PM
I've shopped at the Amazon Go stores in SF's Financial District. It's quick and easy, but it's inhumane too. You can't even enter the store without the app.

The marketplace has always been a central feature of human life. Often one of the few social opportunities many have had as a life requirement for millenia. If you didn't go where strangers were, products didn't make it to your home. You were therefore, forced to learn to get along with everyone. It socialized and civilized us.

In San Francisco, 17 Walgreens stores have recently closed due to rampant, uncontrolled theft. This kind of thing drives people to these relatively safe, controlled experiences.

My favorite Whole Foods is the one on Telegraph in Berkeley. I know cashiers by name there. One of my "nieces" worked there. I can go to both Berkeley Bowl stores and know the staff as well as all the other primary stores I go to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 02:37PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 08, 2021 02:46PM

The marketplace has always been a central feature of human life. Often one of the few social opportunities many have had as a life requirement for millenia. If you didn't go where strangers were, products didn't make it to your home. You were therefore, forced to learn to get along with everyone. It socialized and civilized us.

Thank you!
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 08, 2021 06:45PM
I skipped to the bottom, so if this was mentioned, At Costco you cant use self checkout for Alcohol. So there is that.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 08, 2021 07:14PM
I was surprised at UniQlo when i bought a jacket and two tees, one short and one long sleeve. I was told to just throw them in a bin and the price came up on a screen. Was that done by weight? Or is there some scanner that can read thru a pile of clothes?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 08, 2021 07:45PM
I thought this was going to be a post about Whole Foods not selling shaving kit.

when I worked the register it was completely by hand.
Read the price, weigh the produce.
Paper bags.
And cash damn money!

And counting back change up to the amount tendered.

The AMZ self-checkout is more like no-checkout, since the store does it.

I like the idea but wonder how it will affect shrink.

If you can't enter the store without the app (aside from sneaking in behind a legitimate customer, if that's possible) maybe shrink isn't a significant issue.

If it is, it'll just be rolled into the purchase price.

I tried self-checkout at Safeway, just to see what it's like.

While I'm not agi'n it, it's not for me.

I prefer to use the people checkout, for the same reason as gl.

Most jobs are a choice, but not always.

I don't know many people who chose to keep a job and would welcome being told 'Hey, starting next week you're replaced by a computer. Buh-bye.'

It doesn't mean there will be other work at the same job with equal or better pay.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2021 09:08PM
.....Whole'd on....to the night.......Whole'd on to the memories.....I wish that I could give you something more......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 08, 2021 10:39PM
p8712

Interesting. I imagine there's some kind of quota on busts they gotta hit, too.

1k-2k

Despite the story you link here's another case. The main point of the story is the $3M settlement for the police brutality but note Walmart called the police on someone who had stolen $13.88 worth of merchandise.

Loveland, Colo., to Pay $3 Million to Woman With Dementia Who Was Arrested

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 09, 2021 07:28AM
The self-checkout at Kroger used to have a shelf to put larger items on. They got rid of that and now have a carousel that holds four bags. Not much room to put the bulky items that you don't want to bag.

I guess they are discouraging people with full carts.

And a related meme:

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 09, 2021 05:05PM
This is just one class of job that is going to end in the next 20 years. Count on it.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 09, 2021 06:37PM
Lux Interior

Every time. Every time.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020