advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
return of the gutter guards
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 08, 2021 02:13PM
a number of threads here over the years.

what are you liking, especially for the NE and/or pine needles?

We have the cheap plastic HD ones that are OK, but still need major cleaning at least 2x a year. Doesn't take long, but what's the point?

I'd prefer to find something that can be easily removed or lifted or hinged that doesn't have sharp edges for when I forget to get the gloves before diving in.

Leaves are mostly not the issue. Pine needles and debris.

Spouse is giving me 5h1t about climbing the 2nd story roof coz I walk funny. Ever since I turned 30 .... last year.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: return of the gutter guards
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 08, 2021 02:31PM
Pine needles are getting stuck on the guard screen?

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 08, 2021 02:32PM
We put the expensive LeafGuard gutters on our old house after several failed cheaper solutions. We had a lot of pine needles and cedar debris to deal with there, and the LeafGuards never needed cleaning. They also were durable to deal with snow and ice with our needing to run heat tape.

Our new house only has two short runs of gutter that seem to stay pretty clean with no intervention.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: September 08, 2021 02:43PM
mattkime
Pine needles are getting stuck on the guard screen?

yup, and piling up in the gutter under the guards.
it's actually cleaner where there are no guards.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2021 03:09PM
.....you don't meet nice guys on skidrowe.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 08, 2021 03:28PM
Fritz
Spouse is giving me 5h1t about climbing the 2nd story roof coz I walk funny. Ever since I turned 30 .... last year.

pfffft! Youngster! Wait till you're 68 and climbing up there! (disclaimer: my house is only one story, though.)

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 08, 2021 03:50PM
graylocks

pfffft! Youngster! Wait till you're 68

giggle giggle giggle giggle.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: davester
Date: September 08, 2021 03:53PM
After much research, I have concluded that the only gutter guards worth anything are those with very fine stainless mesh screens. These are generally expensive compared to all the others. However, Costco has a fairly reasonably priced version here:
https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-Gutterguard-5”-Version---100’.product.100019377.html
We had our roofer install these on all of our gutters, which were previously a constant problem due to the redwood trees towering over the house. The result...no redwood needles in the gutters anymore. I would not DIY installation of these on a multistory house though since you need to spend too much time at the edge of the roof.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 03:56PM by davester.
Date: September 08, 2021 03:57PM
aka
[www.costco.com]

I do recall seeing them at CC. Maybe just the 1st story ones would do it.
~60 ft.

$2.50/ft is pretty reasonable if they'll do the job

!#$@@$#!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 04:04PM by Fritz.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 08, 2021 03:57PM
I have this [www.menards.com]

and its heavily tested against pine needles as I have a very large pine tree waaay too close to my house. I should check underneath a length of gutter guard but from what I can tell they do an excellent job keeping the needles out. They certainly don't collect on the gutter guard. The main challenges I've had with gutter guards have more to do with my roof - high peaks, corners collecting a lot of water into a very small length of gutter guard.

Try to find this item or something similar and buy a small section. Install it. Dump needles on your roof and wash them off with a hose. I've discovered a number of unanticipated problem installing gutter guards that are largely fixed by removing them - I'll need to clean a couple of corners while large stretches are protected. Anyway, the point is I think almost all gutter systems are installed without checking to see IF THEY WORK. I have a small length of gutter that extends past the shingles by less than an inch and its a 4" gutter. Someone did that and thought it was okay! I think our gutters are fairly recent. I wonder what the result would be if I had someone install the gutter and the guard and be responsible for both. That would be $$$.

/rant

Good luck. Report back.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 08, 2021 05:13PM
davester
After much research, I have concluded that the only gutter guards worth anything are those with very fine stainless mesh screens. These are generally expensive compared to all the others. However, Costco has a fairly reasonably priced version here:
https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-Gutterguard-5”-Version---100’.product.100019377.html

We had our roofer install these on all of our gutters, which were previously a constant problem due to the redwood trees towering over the house. The result...no redwood needles in the gutters anymore. I would not DIY installation of these on a multistory house though since you need to spend too much time at the edge of the roof.

We don’t have nearby pines, but we had the type of gutter guards described above installed when we resided our house. They work very well for keeping the gutters free of debris, but still need to be swept off from above a couple of times a year or the tree debris tends to harden on top of them, negating the benefit of having gutters in the first place. Still, I’d rather have that than mucking out wet gutters by hand. However, you do need to get close to the edge of the roof in order to sweep them off, which could be dangerous.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 08, 2021 05:48PM
I bought these and installed them myself: [www.amazon.com]

They're a bit over $1 a foot and they work fine. I do have one shallow valley overhung by a large tree where wind just doesn't get to that I have to blow off once a year. Pine needles occasionally get stuck in them but a heavy rain takes them off. It's never more than a few pine needles; nothing like the old aluminum flip-up gutter guards that I had for 25 years.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: September 10, 2021 12:22PM
We live amongst the trees with lots of needles. We have looked at and tried a couple of ways to manage the gutters and have ended up using the "gutter foam" which can be purchased thru Home Depot or Lowes. It fills the gutter with an extruded plastic that doesn't allow anything else to fill the gutter with and it does allow the water thru. The upside is that it is relatively inexpensive and can be installed yourself as long as you can get to your gutters. The downside is that it does not last forever. We have gotten about 7-8 years out of it and then it needs to be pulled out and replaced. It gets gunky and stuff starts growing in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020