advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ceiling bicycle hook
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 08, 2021 05:53PM
I have a bike hoist in the shed. Sucks. The back hooks face the wrong way to hold the seat securely. Sucks. Did I say that already?

I'd like to find a ceiling U hook that can suspend from the top tube, not wheels.

But every hook I find is too short for the shed.
Need 12" (screw) hook(s).

Anyone seen something like this, but longer?

catching up Newt ....

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 05:57PM by Fritz.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ceiling bicycle hook
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 08, 2021 06:04PM
[www.amazon.com]
Date: September 08, 2021 06:08PM
out of stock and not long enough. Darn the Luck ! ! !

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: September 08, 2021 06:10PM
[www.harborfreight.com]

(size not listed)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 08, 2021 06:13PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 08, 2021 06:14PM
I get a lot of use out of these:

[www.homedepot.com]

Might not be your solution.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 08, 2021 06:24PM
Did you look at ladder hooks instead?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 08, 2021 06:38PM
I did look at ladder hooks and have a couple, but not long enough.
I may just have to use a 4x4 from the ceiling and screw into that.
Or build down with a couple 2x4.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 06:43PM by Fritz.
Date: September 08, 2021 06:42PM
How about moving the hooks so one grabs under the seat and the other grabs under the stem?

Date: September 08, 2021 06:46PM
that's how the hoist works now, actually under the handle bar.
But the seat doesn't have enough meat or pocket to keep the hooks.
If a cricket climbs on the seat, the bike drops.
Maybe take the rear hook to my local metal bender.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 08, 2021 06:51PM
Why not hang it from the wheel?

Do you need extra long threads on the hook, or just have it hang down farther?

If you want to keep the bike level, I would just hang it from the wheels.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: September 08, 2021 06:53PM
not so much level, but there is little room to swing it right side up without clocking myself.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 08, 2021 07:10PM
Fritz
not so much level, but there is little room to swing it right side up without clocking myself.

Here's our solution, wall mounted rack up near the ceiling to minimize clocking....

==
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 08, 2021 07:10PM
Park Tool, and probably others, make threaded j hooks.
Two lag x threaded anchors with some all thread and you can make it whatever length you want. If the structure doesn't line up, lag in a piece of unistrut and use some spring nuts.
Date: September 08, 2021 07:12PM
Fritz

Here's our solution; wall mounted (oak) rack up near the ceiling to minimize clocking....

Secured w/ Velcro straps for add'l safety.
Just as another option fer ya.
==
Date: September 08, 2021 08:08PM
no access to walls. Ladders, shelves and cabinets already there.

Park does make some machine threaded hooks. Could extend those, but seems like a build down with 2x4 might be the sturdier, easier, better route.
Couple of 2x4 stacked would prolly get me enough clearance to use a 6" hook.

!#$@@$#!

Date: September 08, 2021 08:28PM
by machine threaded, assume you looked at something like this... i see 16" ones at HD + a big carabineer on the end... click and hang... [www.homedepot.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 08, 2021 09:27PM
Not sure who made the hook for our sex swing, I can ask.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: davester
Date: September 08, 2021 10:40PM
Buzz
Fritz

Here's our solution; wall mounted (oak) rack up near the ceiling to minimize clocking....

==

Really nice bike, Buzz! Are you into vintage bikes like me, or do you just happen to have an older bike?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 08, 2021 11:07PM
I use a hoist, and rather than grab the seat, I have it grab the wheels or the fork. For the rear, either the wheel or the spot right under the seat, it has a crossmember.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 09, 2021 05:47AM
....what the fork.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 09, 2021 07:22AM
the hooks on the hoist aren't that long, maybe 2".
Or as I said, the seat doesn't have enough of a pocket to grab.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 09, 2021 07:41AM
Can you loop rope or webbing around the seat post to put on the hook?
Date: September 09, 2021 08:25AM
damn! why din't I think of that?
Gonna try ....
Bet that'll work easy.

thanks macphanatic

!#$@@$#!

Date: September 09, 2021 02:23PM
davester
Buzz
Fritz

==

Really nice bike, Buzz! Are you into vintage bikes like me, or do you just happen to have an older bike?

Well, I did buy the frame, gruppo, wheels, etc., all brand spanking new in the fall of 1984, but now, it's a bit of both. That's the dream bike of the period for me, and my (much) richer golf and biking buddies were getting new, bleeding edge bikes, and encouraging me to do the same. My mortgage biz was in its infancy at the time, so I set a goal of making $20K net in a month as the threshold to get the dream bike, and keep up w/ the Jones's.

Unfortunately, it was just a couple of years later when my neuro crud made itself known, and as it turned out, all my athletic days were numbered. I lost tennis in '89, baseball & basketball in '90, golf in '91. Bicycling made it until summer of '94, so I only got not quite 10 years out of the bright red Ciocc. The last to go was roller skating, which made it to the following summer of 1995, w/ thanks to Baby Buzz, back when he was still a little dude; as the last several months of skating were spent pushing him around in his jogging stroller. He (and I both) really liked it, and at the time, I was too embarrassed to skate w/ an empty stroller.

The Ciocc is now for Baby Buzz's use, but as amazing as his athletic prowess is, he seems to have an equilibrium issue, and never took to skateboarding, surfing, biking, or other balance intensive sports. He likes road bikes, and back when he was in college, he bought a vintage Peugeot road bike, then promptly ate a bit too much campus asphalt. I'm hoping he'll take the time to develop legit riding skills, and get the Ciocc back on the road, but in the meantime, I can't part w/ it.
==
Date: September 09, 2021 05:06PM
Buzz
Well, I did buy the frame, gruppo, wheels, etc., all brand spanking new in the fall of 1984, but now, it's a bit of both. That's the dream bike of the period for me, and my (much) richer golf and biking buddies were getting new, bleeding edge bikes, and encouraging me to do the same. My mortgage biz was in its infancy at the time, so I set a goal of making $20K net in a month as the threshold to get the dream bike, and keep up w/ the Jones's.

Unfortunately, it was just a couple of years later when my neuro crud made itself known, and as it turned out, all my athletic days were numbered. I lost tennis in '89, baseball & basketball in '90, golf in '91. Bicycling made it until summer of '94, so I only got not quite 10 years out of the bright red Ciocc. The last to go was roller skating, which made it to the following summer of 1995, w/ thanks to Baby Buzz, back when he was still a little dude; as the last several months of skating were spent pushing him around in his jogging stroller. He (and I both) really liked it, and at the time, I was too embarrassed to skate w/ an empty stroller.

The Ciocc is now for Baby Buzz's use, but as amazing as his athletic prowess is, he seems to have an equilibrium issue, and never took to skateboarding, surfing, biking, or other balance intensive sports. He likes road bikes, and back when he was in college, he bought a vintage Peugeot road bike, then promptly ate a bit too much campus asphalt. I'm hoping he'll take the time to develop legit riding skills, and get the Ciocc back on the road, but in the meantime, I can't part w/ it.
==

That's a bit of a sad story, but I hope that the Ciocc (pronounced SEE-OWCH if I recall) gets back on the road again. Similarly, I bought my main bike, a custom built Ron Cooper new in 1981. For a while I wanted to get something more modern, but after trying a newer Trek for a year or so I sold it and went back to the Cooper. I'm no longer racing so the few seconds I might gain by using the Trek's integrated index shifting would be irrelevant and the Trek was a sterile, not particularly lovely machine compared to the very beautiful Cooper. I've now fallen in with a group of vintage bike nuts who lust after the Cooper.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 09, 2021 06:22PM
"....I bought my main bike, a custom built Ron Cooper new in 1981. For a while I wanted to get something more modern, but after trying a newer Trek for a year or so I sold it and went back to the Cooper. I'm no longer racing so the few seconds I might gain by using the Trek's integrated index shifting would be irrelevant and the Trek was a sterile, not particularly lovely machine compared to the very beautiful Cooper. I've now fallen in with a group of vintage bike nuts who lust after the Cooper."

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that lust -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Lust is right.

Lust works.

Lust clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Lust, in all of its forms -- lust for life, for money, for love, knowledge, classic vintage bicycles -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And lust -- you mark my words -- will not only save a group of vintage bike nuts, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.
==
Posted by: raz
Date: September 09, 2021 08:43PM
Buzz
"....I bought my main bike, a custom built Ron Cooper new in 1981. For a while I wanted to get something more modern, but after trying a newer Trek for a year or so I sold it and went back to the Cooper. I'm no longer racing so the few seconds I might gain by using the Trek's integrated index shifting would be irrelevant and the Trek was a sterile, not particularly lovely machine compared to the very beautiful Cooper. I've now fallen in with a group of vintage bike nuts who lust after the Cooper."

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that lust -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Lust is right.

Lust works.

Lust clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Lust, in all of its forms -- lust for life, for money, for love, knowledge, classic vintage bicycles -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And lust -- you mark my words -- will not only save a group of vintage bike nuts, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.
==

FTW

Nicely done

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: September 09, 2021 09:34PM
raz
Buzz

Lust is right.

Lust works.

Thank you very much.
==

FTW

Nicely done

Excellent!

Date: September 09, 2021 09:51PM
Back to the topic.

This:
[www.amazon.com]

plus this:
[www.amazon.com]

plus this:
[www.amazon.com]
Date: September 11, 2021 10:54AM
this is how we do it

!#$@@$#!

Date: September 11, 2021 08:20PM
That's a Looooooooonnnng seatpost!
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020