advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What should the expected battery life be on an old Apple Wireless Keyboard?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 09, 2021 10:01AM
Specifically, I'm asking about the 2-AA gen 3/gen 4 models commonly shipped with Macs from 2009-2015.

I know this keyboard wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it should be common enough for some of you to have plenty of real world experience. I'm getting abysmal battery life using rechargeables (which are probably past their prime). While this has prevented any leakages, I'm curious what kind of life I could expect from alkalines.

I've mainly used wired keyboards over the years, but after all but one of my trusty aluminum keyboards eventually bit the dust, I started using the Apple Wireless on a daily basis a few years ago. I have a couple of them lying around and have grown to like them. But the poor battery life is intolerable.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What should the expected battery life be on an old Apple Wireless Keyboard?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 09, 2021 10:48AM
There are also rechargeable lithium AA batteries now. They tend to have lower mAh ratings than the NiMH batteries though, but they are a proper 1.5V instead of 1.25V (in case the keyboard doesn't like the drop in voltage as the rechargeables drain down).

I'm using the AAA version of this battery: [www.amazon.com] but not in a keyboard. I use it in an electric pepper grinder where it puts out way more power than the Ikea NiMH I was using previously.

Note that lithium rechargeables are rated in mWh, so you have to divide by 1.5 to get the mAh to compare them to NiMH. I.e. these AA's are 2960mWh, so 1973mAh, but high capacity NiMH might go up to 2500/2800mAh. But, again, 1.5V vs 1.25V.

I'm also trying out rechargeable lithium C batteries in a cat feeder, because it starts to get wonky when alkalines drop down to 1.25V, so NiMH are a no-go straight out of gate.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 09, 2021 12:24PM
We use standard Duracells in ours and get 4-6 months.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 09, 2021 10:29PM
Markintosh
We use standard Duracells in ours and get 4-6 months.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. This beats swapping batteries every week or two.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020