advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Messages with Android users
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 09, 2021 06:23PM
Messages with some Android users show up on my iOS devices and my Mac, but this doesn’t work when texting some Android users. Can’t figure out why. Any ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Messages with Android users
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 09, 2021 07:06PM
Messages is the screwiest app I deal with. On my Mac and iPhone, it receives messages from anyone, and I can reply to those on my Mac or iPhone. I can initiate a text to android uses from my iPhone but not from my Mac. Then it will sign out of my apple account for no reason and I won't know until I happen to notice that I have not received any messages.

It is great when it works but not reliable enough to fully trust.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: September 09, 2021 07:19PM
Also noticed that texts via messenging services don’t show up on my Mac. This includes text from retailers, UPS, FEDEX, etc.
Date: September 09, 2021 07:27PM
macphanatic
Also noticed that texts via messenging services don’t show up on my Mac. This includes text from retailers, UPS, FEDEX, etc.

same here, but spam gets through

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 09, 2021 07:36PM
Texts from Apple Messages to anything other than Apple Messages are SMS and/or MMS messages and vice versa (vicey-versie). Embellishments from Messages or Android Messages won't necessarily make it through.

It's why a lot of people use WhatsApp, which is a cross-platform messaging service that basically does the same thing. Google Chat too.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 09, 2021 08:15PM
interesting. i have absolutely no problems Messaging android users on my iphone, ipad, apple watch, or computers.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 08:15PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 09, 2021 08:20PM
vision63
Texts from Apple Messages to anything other than Apple Messages are SMS and/or MMS messages and vice versa (vicey-versie). Embellishments from Messages or Android Messages won't necessarily make it through.

It's why a lot of people use WhatsApp, which is a cross-platform messaging service that basically does the same thing. Google Chat too.

WhatsApp also allows internet calls, group messaging, etc. quite useful as it relies on internet, not necessarily cell phone data (provider) and thus is much cheaper. I use it to communicate with my brother, 6+ hours ahead of me (Europe, North Africa, wherever he happens to be). The only problem is when internet gets throttled due to too many users on at a time.

D
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 10, 2021 07:03AM
macphanatic

On the iPhone, visit Settings > Messages and set it to forward text messages to your Mac.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 10, 2021 07:37AM
Make sure your Messages originate from Settings-> Messages -> Send & Receive -> Start New Conversation From your phone number, not an iCloud email account.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 10, 2021 09:22AM
all those suggestions done already - still funky.

my wife lives on whatsapp to talk to her family overseas. she chats with all her third cousins twice removed on her brothers wife's sisters side every night (those are considered immediate family in Hispanic culture). it is interesting because the group covers the globe from Honduras, to Manhattan, to the Vatican (one is a nun there)

Date: September 10, 2021 11:37AM
Sarcany
macphanatic

On the iPhone, visit Settings > Messages and set it to forward text messages to your Mac.

Missed this setting. Problem solved. Thanks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 10, 2021 09:51PM
I very seldom have contact with Android users, so that's almost never an issue.

My most common annoyance with Messages it the different arrive times on my kit.

Given that I may be on my computer, my 'Phone is usually nearby, and I'm wearing my Watch all most all the time.

Messages arrive at varying times on all three devices, in probably all permutations.

First on my Watch, then my Mac, then my 'Phone.
Or, first on my Mac, then on my 'Phone, then on my Watch.
Or, first on my 'Phone, than on both my Mac and Watch.
Or, first on my Mac and 'Phone, then on my Watch.
Or, rarely, on all three at the same time.

Or..., well you get the idea.

And I haven't even mentioned my iPads.

A green bubble is a very rare sight.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020