advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Equalizing volume levels on streaming Prime, Netflix, HBO, etc...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 10, 2021 09:26AM
Any way to do this?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Equalizing volume levels on streaming Prime, Netflix, HBO, etc...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 10, 2021 10:34AM
My Onkyo receiver has a "late night" mode that basically compresses the audio levels to avoid having loud peaks disturb others. So maybe if you have a receiver there is something similar. Also check the audio/sound settings on your TV.

Otherwise you would need an external audio compressor to do this.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 10, 2021 12:04PM
It is not a common function, but I wish it were. The worst offenders are late night commercials that have telephone or doorbell ringing. PBS Newshour had a segment two or three days ago where the volume that bounced around (mostly dropping from typical) by at least 10 dB.

Pioneer has it in a few car stereo head units, mostly to quiet the radio after you tuned up the volume on the freeway.

I found a company (Maxim Integrated ALC) that used to make a chip to control the volume without clipping the wave to compress it. Unfortunately the site does not show pricing or availability without creating an account first, and I get the impression they only like to sell in quantities of >1000. Mouser and Digikey say the product is obsolete and no longer stocked.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 10, 2021 02:40PM
On AppleTV go to Settings/Video and Audio/Reduce Loud Sounds, or instruct Siri to Turn On Reduce Loud Sounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 02:40PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 10, 2021 07:46PM
I guess it's not that uncommon. I pulled up the manual for my Yamaha receiver and their is a function lower the peak volume and another to make voices more prominent. It's still not a quick setting to toggle volume based on which app is providing sound.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 11, 2021 06:21AM
Thanks for the responses.
Rich, I have already done that on my AppleTV. Doesn't really do that very well.

I have a Denon A/V Receiver. I will try to dig into those settings today

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 11, 2021 07:28AM
annoying, isn't it?
after all these years of the digital concept making all audio "equal" in level, still doesn't happen.

my clients insist on it for post of their programs, but the spots in between, that apparently doesn't matter even though they go thru post as well.

Most audio post use Izotope RX Loudness (or others like it) in the final processing stage before handing off to picture edit.

But then some post picture editors seem to think they know better and tweak again for louder.

They other issue may be that spots often come off a different server and not necessarily in the same building, city or state and certainly not under the "watchful eye" of the same NOC technician.

One show I work on is for a major NYC based stream provider, but the show gets uploaded to a server in Atlanta.
We recently spent 4 hours uploading a 30 min show to Atlanta server.
Eh ....... hem. Bull***t!
However, in chaos there is profit.

If I watch something on OTA, Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Emby in one evening, the audio levels vary .... a lot.
It's tempting to insert a brick wall limiter into the pre-amp of my Onk.
But it's a 2007 model and doesn't have anything even close to sophisticated level control other then the round knob.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020