advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Window company canceled site visit and estimate because I said my wife wasn't available
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 10, 2021 09:32AM
I've mostly decided to wrap up my window shopping as it seems pandemic craziness has had a significant impact and I'm not interested in paying inflated prices. There was a remaining appointment that I had decided to keep - who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. The day before they call to confirm the appointment and confirm a few details. They asked me if anyone else was a listed owner of the house - "yes, my wife." Can she make the appointment? Do we need to reschedule? I explain that I'll be the one making the decision so it doesn't matter they can't be there. The rep says they can't meet unless my wife can come too. So...I tell you that I'm the decision maker and you tell me otherwise? No thanks. We had a little back and forth on that one before I hung up.

Its extremely rare that I work with a salesman on THEIR TERMS. My needs are simple and direct, if you need me to do a dance I'll go elsewhere.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Window company canceled site visit and estimate because I said my wife wasn't available
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 10, 2021 09:46AM
What happened to the customer is always right.
Re: Window company canceled site visit and estimate because I said my wife wasn't available
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 10, 2021 09:46AM
Giant Red Flag high-pressure sales tactic. He or she is looking to play you off each other in case one of you balks.

I once got an window estimate where the salesman basically refused to leave. We're like, "thanks for the [shockingly high] numbers, we'll think about it." and he proceeded to stall for an hour, ignoring all social cues that the conversation was over. By far the worst "fee estimate" experience in our home-owning career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 09:47AM by Acer.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 10, 2021 09:59AM
They're probably speaking from experience; they don't want to do the meeting again.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 10, 2021 10:08AM
Matt,

It could be that they've had issues when one owner wanted to do the job and the second owner balked and created nightmare as a result. Or, it could be the sales tactic mentioned by Acer.

Robert

P.S. Forrest, the "customer is always right" idea isn't applicable here. Sounds more like a business policy and/or sales tactic. FWIW, there are definitely times when the customer is absolutely positively not right at all and needs to be put in his/her place soundly.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 10, 2021 10:19AM
Do they also want your mortgage lender there, they might own more of your house than either you or your wife.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 10, 2021 10:30AM
OMG, Thompson Creek did the same BS with me, but I wasn't even the one who initiated the meeting.

They "just happened to be in the area" and knocked on the door to ask if I needed windows. The answer was basically NO, but there is one with a crack in the outer pane, so how much to replace that? They said they couldn't match the 2nd window on the same wall so I agreed to do both, but then they would not give me an estimate without my wife being there.

I said *I* would call them back to schedule a time. Guess who calls me back every day for the next several months? (and subsequently goes to voicemail EVERY time?)

I wound up calling the Glass Doctor or whomever to come replace the double pane in the sash, under $200 if I recall, and they came back to fix it when their adhesive failed in the intense heat of the summer sun later that year.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 10, 2021 11:40AM
Acer

... "thanks for the [shockingly high] numbers, we'll think about it." and he proceeded to stall for an hour, ignoring all social cues that the conversation was over. ...

Happened to me a number of years ago. I reached out to shake the sales prick's hand, saying "I'll let you know my decision", expecting that would cue him that the discussion was over. He grabbed my hand tightly to his chest and wouldn't let go as I tried to pull free, and continued his sales pitch. I glared at him and dug my fingernails into his hand until he finally let go.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 10, 2021 12:48PM
Acer
Giant Red Flag high-pressure sales tactic. He or she is looking to play you off each other in case one of you balks.

I once got an window estimate where the salesman basically refused to leave. We're like, "thanks for the [shockingly high] numbers, we'll think about it." and he proceeded to stall for an hour, ignoring all social cues that the conversation was over. By far the worst "fee estimate" experience in our home-owning career.

Yep. It was going to be one of those “this price is only good for the next 30 minutes” kind of sales approach. Glad you dodged that bullet.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 12:48PM by rgG.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 10, 2021 01:01PM
rgG
Acer

Yep. It was going to be one of those “this price is only good for the next 30 minutes” kind of sales approach. Glad you dodged that bullet.

And these kinds of companies sell windows that are junk.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 10, 2021 04:44PM
“ The rep says they can't meet unless my wife can come too. “

Sure, but you have to bring your parents.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 10, 2021 06:33PM
......thought by wording that they wanted to date.......your wife.....but she was unavailable.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 10, 2021 09:40PM
An interesting thread.

Very recently I heard a commercial that gets a lot of play on my News/Traffic/Weather radio station for a window company started by a husband and wife because of, as they say, the terrible time they had getting windows installed in their home.

Getting new windows seems to be something like shopping for caskets.

Similarly, Megan Maronne, formerly of iPad Today (I think) stated she had a terrible time with a popular solar panel company that like to complain about other solar companies.

She wouldn't say what the problem was on air, but said if anybody wanted to know, shoot her an email.

But apparently they doggedly contacted her trying to get a sale, after the first 'No thank you'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 12, 2021 11:37AM
I seem to remember an old Topic Thread here where a car salesperson was ignoring the customer because the husband wasn't there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020