advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
El Capitan to Mojave
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 10, 2021 12:11PM
I'm strongly considering making the jump from El Capitan to Mojave on my late 2012 Mac Mini. There's a particular app I want to try that requires 10.12 or higher. I'm not ready to go beyond that yet, as I still do use a couple of 32 bit apps regularly. I download the Mojave updater from the App Store to make a bootable flash drive with DiskMaker X 8, but all I could get was the 22MB file, so DiskMaker couldn't use it. I don't really need a bootable flash dive, so I'm thinking of just letting the OS Update do its thing (after I backup, of course) and be done with it.

Any caveats I'm not thinking of? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: El Capitan to Mojave
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 10, 2021 02:21PM
fwiw, Apple wants to download a smaller file to manage the larger download and install. If you still want to get the entire download you can google and may find it. Another approach is to use dosdude's Mojave Patcher which is intended to patch unsupported machines. It is just a simple gui. But under the tools menu is a link to download the whole Mojave installer. (When you run it, it will tell you you do not need it. Ignore that, all you want is the tools menu.)

[dosdude1.com]
Date: September 10, 2021 03:42PM
Thanks. Well, I just let the thing do the automatic install and so far the only thing that seems to have "broken" (so far) is my Keyboard Maestro app. Guess that means I'll have to type out crap until I come up with another solution. Frankly, I'll be okay if that's the only thing that doesn't work any more. We shall see.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 10, 2021 04:34PM
APFS conversion might be an issue?
Date: September 10, 2021 08:44PM
So far, so good. Even Quicken 2007 still works without a hitch. And the new app I upgraded for also works fine. I did have to update my macro program Spark, but that went fine, too. I haven't tried opening all my oft-used programs yet, but I think i'll survive.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 10, 2021 08:50PM
Yeah, I'm a little late but I don't really see much if any downside to going to Mojave (or Sierra or High Sierra, for that matter).

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 11, 2021 02:53AM
Mojave still runs the 32 bit apps. Best way to download is via the App Store, if you want to do a normal install.
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: tlh828
Date: September 11, 2021 06:09AM
What Ken said.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 11, 2021 04:24PM
What I ended up doing is installing on an new 8GB Partition, then cloning that partition to an USB Stick.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020