advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Starburst Techno Colored Revere Pot:UPDATE-RESTORED!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 10, 2021 09:07PM
I was putting this copper bottom Revere pot in the dishwasher this evening and was shocked to see this discoloration. I use this pot at least once a week and never noticed this before. Have had it about 3 years inherited from my brother.

What did I do wrong? Can this pot be saved? Is it okay to still use it?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2021 09:51AM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Starburst Techno Colored Revere Pot
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 10, 2021 09:52PM
Salt reaction, perhaps? Something stuck to the bottom and then the burner reacted with it, leaving that imprint, it would appear.

Edit: I also lovemy Revere pans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 09:53PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 10, 2021 10:23PM
Do you clean your cook-top with baking soda and water?

If you heat copper with an oxidizing agent and then cool it rapidly, it can retain a red patina.

Date: September 10, 2021 10:36PM
i don't recall spilling any salt on a counter top. I used a bit of baking soda last sunday to make pancakes but other than that no baking soda use.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 10, 2021 10:52PM
As far as saving the pot, I'd try something like Brasso polish or Bar Keepers Friend.

If that doesn't help, I got nothin'.

For what it's worth, it removes the yellow cast my bike's stainless steel mufflers take on from the heat of extended riding.

That's stainless and not copper, but I'd give it a try anyway.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 10, 2021 11:32PM
As an expression of mood, I quite love it.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 11, 2021 05:49AM
Hard to tell, but it almost looks like the star pattern matches the grates on your stove. Did the pot get too hot with nothing in it? Before we switched from gas to induction, all of our pots were Ravereware and over the 40+ years of use they used to discolor and some Brasso helped but never really cleaned them perfectly. I would try to clean and inspect for any damage. If all looks good, I would continue to use.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 11, 2021 08:22AM
Bummer. Have you always washed it in the dishwasher? Not sure I would ever do that.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 11, 2021 08:44AM
Apparently, you are not the only one this happens to. sad smiley

[forums.pelicanparts.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: September 11, 2021 09:50AM
OMG! It's alive! With much skepticism i took RAMd®d's suggestion to use Bar Keepers Friend since I have that in the house. Even as I was applying it I'm thinking this isn't gone to help. the copper is completely eaten off.

uh. no. The copper was underneath! It's fine. A bit dull so I'm going to pick up some polish. From the thread rgG posted maybe I had that burner running too high. As for not putting Revere ware in the dishwasher the Revere Ware site says the metals are dishwasher safe though they caution the handles may degrade over time.

All is well. Don't know how old this pot is or whether it's vintage Revere Ware but when I looked on Amazon I was not happy at the thought of replacing it. Thanks, fellow forumites!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 11, 2021 10:27AM
Those are great pots, definitely will outlast us. The only weak spot as noted, is if you put them in the washer, water will seep under the handle and degrade from the inside. My washer gets so hot that I've stopped putting any pots with a plastic-y handle inside.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 11, 2021 11:29AM
We have several that belonged to parents. We have the steamer insert, and 2 double boiler inserts.

I didn't see this early enough to mention Bar Keeper's Friend. It's our go to for stainless pots, pans, and our stainless sing.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2021 11:30AM by Racer X.
Re: Starburst Techno Colored Revere Pot:UPDATE-RESTORED!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 11, 2021 12:19PM
Congratulations on your success, gl!

Based on that, I'd guess just about any metal polish might bring back the copper sheen, short of running it on a buffing wheel or orbital device.

Most any military person will sing the praises of Brasso, working on a variety of metals including copper.

Something like Wright's Copper Creme would be less messy to work with, and might be more appropriate than Brasso.

But if you have any metal polish, I'd give consider giving it a try first..

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 11, 2021 01:08PM
Glad that pot is back to its proper color. smiley-music039

My mom had/has, not sure which, some very old Revere Ware pots/pans. I need to see if she still has them, the next time I am over there. I remember polishing them up, when I was a kid.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Starburst Techno Colored Revere Pot:UPDATE-RESTORED!
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 11, 2021 05:11PM
A Brillo or SOS steel wool pad and some elbow grease should get the shine back. old fogey smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020