advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hold the iPhone. FCC report lists the iPhone 12 as a “legacy” product. Implications?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 10, 2021 09:34PM
MacRumors and ZDNet, among others, have reported the soon to be replaced iPhone 12 (Apple Event Tuesday if you’ve been under a rock) is now listed as a “legacy” product.

Are there any dire consequences attached to this, or is it just more or less SOP for a product being replaced in the line up?

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 09:35PM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hold the iPhone. FCC report lists the iPhone 12 as a “legacy” product. Implications?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 10, 2021 09:45PM
OK, I will bite. What, In your mind, would be a "dire consequence" of labeling as such? it will stop working on the 15th?

Sadly, these are all clickbait. the forbes article that started this pretty much every comment was "nice clickbait headline" and now all the rest of these sites are doing the same.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Hold the iPhone. FCC report lists the iPhone 12 as a “legacy” product. Implications?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 10, 2021 09:53PM
jdc
OK, I will bite. What, In your mind, would be a "dire consequence" of labeling as such? it will stop working on the 15th?

Sadly, these are all clickbait. the forbes article that started this pretty much every comment was "nice clickbait headline" and now all the rest of these sites are doing the same.

Nothing to bite at. Saw multiple headlines mentioning the same thing, and couldn’t think of anything remarkable about it to make it headline worthy, but decided to just check with the group mind to see if there was something I was missing. That’s it.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 10, 2021 10:47PM
Vintage - five to seven years after discontinued

Obsolete - discontinued for more than seven years

Legacy - certain Apple products purchased between 1993 and 1996

[infogalactic.com].

This makes me wonder that the FCC means by 'legacy'.

Do they mean a product no longer in production, or no longer the top tier, or what.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 10, 2021 10:50PM
In case you haven't heard, covid vaccine microchips work on the 6G band. 5G is legacy of course.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 10, 2021 10:50PM
i take it to mean that as soon as Apple announces IP13, IP12 will be removed from the line up. That's what they did last year with the IP11. last year my friends wanted new phones but waited to see what the IP12 offered. When they saw they didn't need a 12 they went to Apple Store online and were dismayed that the 11 was no longer offered.

Long story short, they were at their lake house and no where near an Apple Store so i called around, found the 11s they wanted still in stock (and at a reduced price) at a local Apple store, bought the 11 models they wanted and shipped them off, and my friends reimbursed me.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 10, 2021 11:58PM
graylocks
i take it to mean that as soon as Apple announces IP13, IP12 will be removed from the line up. That's what they did last year with the IP11. last year my friends wanted new phones but waited to see what the IP12 offered. When they saw they didn't need a 12 they went to Apple Store online and were dismayed that the 11 was no longer offered.

Long story short, they were at their lake house and no where near an Apple Store so i called around, found the 11s they wanted still in stock (and at a reduced price) at a local Apple store, bought the 11 models they wanted and shipped them off, and my friends reimbursed me.

That isn't really true. I just ordered 5 iPhone 11s from Verizon 2 days ago. They are still sold as a currently produced phone.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 11, 2021 02:05AM
C(-)ris

That isn't really true. I just ordered 5 iPhone 11s from Verizon 2 days ago. They are still sold as a currently produced phone.

Read what i wrote. i said APPLE no longer sold the 11s from their online Apple Store and that was absolutely true the day after the 12 launched. Apple has since brought back the 11 to the Apple Store though not the 11 Pro Max; they needed one of each. I didn’t say they became unavailable completely.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2021 02:13AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 11, 2021 05:47AM
if you are going to buy a 12 or 13 directly from Apple based on what the 13 offers/price/etc - order the 12 the day before then just exchange it (if you are not automatically bumped to the 13)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020