advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Secure erase of iPhone/iPad
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: September 11, 2021 04:46PM
Secure erase of iPhone/iPad: I see some content online regarding the topic. I searched the forum here on this topic and found some really old threads, one of which recommended a program called Data Eraser. I am wondering if just a factory reset is sufficient?

I have an old iPhone 5s that someone is interested in playing around with (not sure they plan on connecting to carrier). I also have two old iPad 2's, not sure if they hold value to anyone for anything - a reader for Kindle perhaps?

Anyway, I always thought a Factory Reset was enough for prepping an iPhone/iPad before moving on to someone else. So, what do you do for your devices (regardless of model) before they move on elsewhere?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Secure erase of iPhone/iPad
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: September 11, 2021 05:14PM
A factory reset! is sufficient.

[support.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2021 05:14PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 11, 2021 05:17PM
SKYLANE
Secure erase of iPhone/iPad: I see some content online regarding the topic. I searched the forum here on this topic and found some really old threads, one of which recommended a program called Data Eraser. I am wondering if just a factory reset is sufficient?

Sign out from all iCloud services and from iMessage on the phone, then do a "Erase All Content and Settings" from the Reset options in the General settings.

Then go to iCloud.com and confirm that the phone is not listed as a managed device in "Find My."

At this point, your phone is ready to be handed away to someone else.

Your data was encrypted on the SSD and the recovery key is gone. Nothing of yours can be pulled from the phone, tho you may be able to recover data from an iTunes or iCloud backup, and there will be some identifiable info on the SIM.

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: September 11, 2021 05:41PM
Cool! Thanks for that! :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020