advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sept 12 2001 NYC
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 12, 2021 10:22AM
On Wednesday September 12th in 2001, the horror gripping NYCers only got worse. The number of dead were unknown, It had become apparent there was no 'rescue' involved, only finding the bodies. The landlines were mostly inoperable (a huge Verizon switching center had been hit by debris. The stories (and pictures) of those who had escaped were mounting in a horrific wave. The pictures of the buildings struck were on permanent repeat, but only for cable viewers, the antennas had been on top of the WTC. Working at company that depended heavily on digital links as well as the internet, they would be malfunctioning for weeks on end.

Began to run into people who had people in the towers.

Fear of more attacks was solidly there. US war planes were overflying the city.

It was going to get worse, and we knew it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 10:23AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sept 12 2001 NYC
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 12, 2021 11:29AM
I remember how all air traffic was on lockdown, and my parents were on travel in Europe with no clear idea on when the ban would be reversed.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 12, 2021 12:28PM
Wierd how it impacted peeps so differently.

It really had little, if any, effect on my day to day. Sure, it was the only thing everyone was talking about... but business still went on. Perhaps because Im CA, to have never been to NY and have no ties to it, rarely flew, and knew no one in my immediate circle of friends/clients had any connection to it. Not even in the military.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 12, 2021 12:56PM
I have always felt a knot in my stomach knowing that those planes flew overhead as i was at home that morning or on my short drive to work.

The New Yorkers I knew were unable to speak
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 12, 2021 08:59PM
Across the river in NJ, the commuter parking lots full of unclaimed cars had become a gut-wrenching symbol.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 13, 2021 12:43PM
Woke up on the gym floor of Gander Academy. Was thinking/hoping that we'd get right back on the Virgin Atlantic 747 and continue on to Dulles.

Took another 4 days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020