advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Canon rolls out $6k 24mp 30fps mirrorless camera and I have mixed feelings
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 14, 2021 08:00AM
All these cameras are probably above the prices most people will spend. The implications of future tech can be seen in these cameras though. Eventually these features will filter their way down to the masses.

Canon has rolled out the R3 after panic pre-announcing the concept months ago in reaction to the Sony A1.

At the $6,000 price tag and 24mp, it puts this camera $500 below the Sony A1 50mp and $1500 above the 24mp. A9 II. If you take into account that adding a vertical grip to the A1 is $500 and $100 for second battery to equal the R3 capacity, it puts the A1 at $7100. The Sony A9II with vertical grip and battery puts it in the $5100 range. With the R3 you get eye controlled focus. Is it worth the price premium over the A9II? I had day dreamed about going back to Canon someday but I don’t think there is enough wow factor for me to jump. I think I will wait for the Nikon Z9, whenever Nikon gets around to actually announcing and shipping it.

[m.dpreview.com]

24MP Stacked CMOS Dual Pixel AF sensor
30 fps E-shutter (w/ full 14-bit Raw)
5.69M-dot EVF with Eye Control AF
No EVF blackout in e-shutter mode
OVF simulation mode that exploits HDR viewfinder
E-shutter with flash sync up to 1/180 sec
Truer-to-life PQ HDR capture as 10-bit HEIF files
Dual Pixel AF with improved subject recognition
AF rated as working down to -7.5EV (with F1.2 lens)
CFexpress Type B and UHS-II SD slots
DCI or UHD 4K video at up to 120p, oversampled up to 60p
Raw video or 10-bit C-Log3 video capture
Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth communication

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Canon rolls out $6k 24mp 30fps mirrorless camera and I have mixed feelings
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 14, 2021 08:13AM
Digital cameras remain a race based on new tech. Mirrorless created the second large wave for them.
Date: September 14, 2021 08:34AM
deckeda
Digital cameras remain a race based on new tech. Mirrorless created the second large wave for them.

Canon and Nikon didn’t care so much about MILC until Sony started eating at SLR sales. Before MILC, Sony struggled for market relevance in the SLR market to paltry sales. I believe Canon and Nikon would have been perfectly happy to keep cranking out SLR camera until Sony shifted the paradigm.

You can see evidence of system philosophy with Nikon having no super telephoto high performance MILC lenses and Canon basically shoehorning an adapter on their 400mm 2.8 and 600mm f4 while Sony’s versions are natively For Sony MILC. I think Canon has been nimble enough to take on Sony uprising but Nikon’s pace will not be good business for them.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 14, 2021 08:52AM
It will be interesting to see if Eye Control Focus works and if it will be used on there models. The Canon EOS 3 eye control technology made its way to the Elan IIe. Neither implementation worked consistently for me. The R3!tech is 20 years newer. I am curious to see how well it works, or doesn’t.

Posted by: Billybob
Date: September 14, 2021 04:02PM
pRICE cUBE

... I had day dreamed about going back to Canon someday but I don’t think there is enough wow factor for me to jump. I think I will wait for the Nikon Z9, whenever Nikon gets around to actually announcing and shipping it.

Well, I actually went back to Canon and absolutely love my R5. However, I wanted the improved AF/no lag/no blackout made possible by a backside sensor (all the new high-end cameras have it, including the forthcoming Z9).

However, after a 45MP R5 (and similar D850), I struggle to rationalize dropping back to the R3's 24MP.

So, like you, I'm waiting for the Z9. Frankly, if Nikon doesn't screw it up, it may just get them back in the game. Especially if Nikon introduces the rumored 400mm 2.8 with built-in 1.4x TC. These halo products will go a long ways towards rebuilding Nikon's credibility.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 14, 2021 04:45PM
I don't really care about MP, 17mp is plenty for anything I need. But the battery and AF options may finally get me to move to mirrorless
Date: September 14, 2021 05:20PM
Billybob
pRICE cUBE

... I had day dreamed about going back to Canon someday but I don’t think there is enough wow factor for me to jump. I think I will wait for the Nikon Z9, whenever Nikon gets around to actually announcing and shipping it.

Well, I actually went back to Canon and absolutely love my R5. However, I wanted the improved AF/no lag/no blackout made possible by a backside sensor (all the new high-end cameras have it, including the forthcoming Z9).

However, after a 45MP R5 (and similar D850), I struggle to rationalize dropping back to the R3's 24MP.

So, like you, I'm waiting for the Z9. Frankly, if Nikon doesn't screw it up, it may just get them back in the game. Especially if Nikon introduces the rumored 400mm 2.8 with built-in 1.4x TC. These halo products will go a long ways towards rebuilding Nikon's credibility.

I don’t know why Nikon isn’t doing the and shoehorning like Canon is doing. Just look at the Canon 400 2.8 and 600 f/4, they didn’t even bother painting the fused on adapter. It’s almost though they are too proud. Wake up Nikon, Sony is being taken seriously now by serious photographers and pros.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 14, 2021 05:38PM
Canon may have done that intentionally to make it easier to tell the difference.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 16, 2021 02:22AM
Eye controlled auto focus? How 1990s.......... A2e and Elan IIe.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 16, 2021 02:27AM
pRICE cUBE
It will be interesting to see if Eye Control Focus works and if it will be used on there models. The Canon EOS 3 eye control technology made its way to the Elan IIe. Neither implementation worked consistently for me. The R3!tech is 20 years newer. I am curious to see how well it works, or doesn’t.

It went A2e, then Elan IIe, then EOS 3. I have a Elan 2e (1997) and an EOS 3 early 2000s.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020