advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The M1 Macs - still amazing sometimes
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 14, 2021 08:16AM
Running an update on my main Mac, a high-end Intel 16" MBPR from 2019. Tons of RAM (64GB), full graphics. Running the latest version of Big Sur.

Set up the emergency security update, took awhile so I swapped out for an M1 Mac (a MBA). 'Only' 16GB RAM etc. I purchased this for a mobile machine (before the Delta variant put almost all of my business travel on hold - again). The 16" laptop is just too heavy when I'm running to catch a plane etc.

Sitting here, posting - there is no comparison. Literally everything tied to basic office use - from email (Outlook or Apple Mail), browsing, excel etc - is noticeably faster. And not by a little bit.

This is despite running TWO external big monitors (5k main plus a 30" 2560x1600 via DisplayLink).

It's also SO much quieter.

This is the first time I've run the direct comparison, side by side, with the same software, network and monitor setup.

M1 doubter? Believe the hype.

Will be interesting if Apple releases the M1X Macs today.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The M1 Macs - still amazing sometimes
Posted by: August West
Date: September 14, 2021 09:20AM
I appreciate the continued reporting on the M1. I haven't gotten one yet because I feel a lot more comfortable with a larger portable screen. Love the news on the desktop monitor use case.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 14, 2021 09:36AM
No M1X today. only iphones.

We are a three M1 household, 2 MBAs and a mini... always flawless.

I rarely use them, bu when I do what always strikes me is the browser speed vs my 2014 iMac. Zippy. We do have 300/300 FiOS, so Im sure that helps, but still, its instant.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 14, 2021 09:59AM
August West
I appreciate the continued reporting on the M1. I haven't gotten one yet because I feel a lot more comfortable with a larger portable screen. Love the news on the desktop monitor use case.

Thanks. I thought I'd post this unintentional experiment. I clearly was mistaken in thinking the high-end Intel laptops had more oomph than they really do.
Date: September 14, 2021 10:01AM
jdc
I rarely use them, bu when I do what always strikes me is the browser speed vs my 2014 iMac. Zippy. We do have 300/300 FiOS, so Im sure that helps, but still, its instant.

I agree! The real surprise to me is that the system hardware is a bottleneck even in something as mundane as web browsing. And I say this running Chrome, not Safari (which I am told is custom-designed and would likely be even faster. But no Safari on windows = Chrome as my default browser for the times I'm stuck in Windows-world).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 14, 2021 10:10AM
I purchased M1 MBAs for the wife and the boy. They are indeed quick machines. I was about to update my MacMini but the Boy's MBA has some issues with bluetooth that I'm not happy about and Apple still hasn't resolved as best I can tell. It will not recognize BT earphones. The earphones work fine on my iPhone, wife's identical MBA, my iPad...but his computer will not acknowledge that they exist.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 14, 2021 10:11AM
This guy is a bit over the top with some stuff, but if you scroll thru his videos, he has side by side tests on MBA vs loaded 16" MBP and mini vs nice spec 2020 27" iMac.

[www.youtube.com]

benchmarks, plus some basic photo tests plus video.

big thing I see for the MBA/MBP test is fans and battery, and the web test where the MBA crushes it.

anyone that uses a 16" MBP is very familiar with the fans...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 10:11AM by jdc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 14, 2021 11:15AM
The single thread performance of the M1 , where the typical consumer does most of their work, is mind boggling great.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 14, 2021 11:47AM
I like that even with only an 8/512, apps launch and stuff happens with a ton of Safari tabs open.

So may apps launch near intantly.

One of the things that is near magic for me is the simple act of unlocking my M1 MBA with Touch ID.

That is truly instant, and not so with any other 'Books or Macs.

I haven't got an M1 mini yet, but it's on the list.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 15, 2021 08:39PM
RAMd®d
One of the things that is near magic for me is the simple act of unlocking my M1 MBA with Touch ID.

That is truly instant, and not so with any other 'Books or Macs.

Interesting. I had no idea that it wasn't instant on other machines because the only one I've ever owned with Touch ID is my M1 Air.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 15, 2021 08:49PM
I was all set to post a "yes, but" until I realized what the deal is with my hardware and software.

I got an M1 MBA 8/512 quite a while back and it has been fabulous... until recently I found a @#$%& in its armor.

I recently started using a camera that can produce 45Mpixel files and noticed it was a little laggy with those big files. My 2012 Mac Pro with 32GB RAM handles those files better. I was all set to complain that I should have gone for the 16GB version...

Then I remembered the software I'm using is not M1 native. wink smiley

I also realized the holdup is CPU/GPU related and the problem probably has nothing to do with RAM.

I "encouraged" the software company to get with the program a year and a half ago and they still haven't done so. mad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020