advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
13 vs 13 Pro
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 15, 2021 09:31AM
Apple is making my decision harder. So for $200 I get a 3X zoom lens and a slightly larger battery? Is there anything I'm missing?
[www.apple.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 13 vs 13 Pro
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2021 09:38AM
Are you a 'Pro', or an amateur?

Real 'Pros' will not think twice about $200!!!

Seriously, that seems like a marginal increase in camera functionality for $200...
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 15, 2021 10:20AM
You also get the "ProMotion" display, LiDAR, 5-core vs 4-core GPU, brighter screen, access to ProRaw, Night Mode Portraits, access to ProRes video, and a heavier phone!

OLED vs LCD used to be the other big difference, but now they all have OLED, so it's just ProMotion or not and the slight difference in max brightness.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 15, 2021 10:26AM
Gareth
You also get the "ProMotion" display, LiDAR, 5-core vs 4-core GPU, brighter screen, access to ProRaw, Night Mode Portraits, access to ProRes video, and a heavier phone!

OLED vs LCD used to be the other big difference, but now they all have OLED, so it's just ProMotion or not and the slight difference in max brightness.

That's what I was looking for. I think Night Mode Portraits is gonna be the tipping point! Thanks!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 15, 2021 10:49AM
last year, the diff between the 12 and 12 PRO was a harder choice, since they were nearly identical.

This year, with the PRO stepping up to the 120 MHz display (and brighter) plus the other odds and ends mentioned its tipped in the PROs favor. Unless you are on a strict budget.

If you have never seen a 120 MHz display, its smooooooth. If they are as good as our 2018 iPP -- which I don't see why they wouldn't be -- its a noticeable day-to-day experience.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 04:17PM by jdc.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2021 11:00AM
That 3x lens is really making my think about moving from my XS Max.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2021 11:12AM
jdc
If you have never seen a 120 MHz display, its smooooooth. If they are as good as our 2018 iPP -- which I don't see why they wouldn't be -- its a noticeable day-to-day experience.

Interesting. I literally do not see this. I've put my 11" newest iPP next to my original iPP and my iPhone 12 Pro screens for this comparison. I do not see the difference in normal use or watching videos.

Maybe it's really just a sign that my eyes are getting old!
Posted by: timg
Date: September 15, 2021 11:15AM
sekker
jdc

Interesting. I literally do not see this. I've put my 11" newest iPP next to my original iPP and my iPhone 12 Pro screens for this comparison. I do not see the difference in normal use or watching videos.

To be fair, 120MHz is pretty damn fast ... I'd be happy with just 120Hz myself.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 15, 2021 12:25PM
timg
I'd be happy with just 120Hz myself.

It still hurts a lot.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 15, 2021 12:50PM
sekker
jdc

If you're watching regular videos, it will make no difference as most top out at 24f, 30, or 60 fps. You could only expect to see the difference with some nutty 120fps videos.

However using the UI at 120fps is a noticeable difference. Not saying it's worth it, just that it's noticeable.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 15, 2021 01:21PM
Lew Zealand
However using the UI at 120fps is a noticeable difference. Not saying it's worth it, just that it's noticeable.

And maybe that is where I notice it the most.

I don't use it much, but when I do, and flip thru a few apps, scroll in mail or safari, or play a few more intensive games, like PUBG, the screen "moving" is super fluid. We have the last 9.7" iPads made.. still incredible tech... but the screen noticeably lags when doing the same actions.

the 120hz has been thing called out as lacking by almost all reviewers and mac sites (and samsung) -- I posted yesterday about being unsure if it would translate to the smaller screen?

I think most all peeps that use recent iPhones can agree that the screen is still sharp as is, without the 120. Will have to wait for side by side reviews with 13, 13 pro and Samsung 20

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2021 01:49PM
Watch, I’ll stretch and get the 13 Max Pro and the 14 will have the folded optics zoom.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 15, 2021 02:06PM
I got the 12 Pro a while back. The upgraded camera and RAW was the decider for me. I’m not thrilled with the zoom lens though. Photos always seem to lack detail. I was thinking I might trade mine in for the 13 Pro if the zoom lens provides better results.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020