advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Story of lawyer who was shot and his family murdered wasn’t crazy enough…
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2021 10:12AM
…because the lawyer in question hired a man to shoot him so his surviving son could collect 10 million $. He is also embroiled in legal troubles such as embezzlement and a host of other issues.
[news.yahoo.com]

The South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is now investigating Alex Murdaugh and has charged Curtis Edward Smith, the man accused of shooting Alex Murdaugh, with assisted suicide, insurance fraud, and other counts.

Alex Murdaugh, who resigned from his law firm and said he would check into rehab earlier this month, has not been charged.

Police say he was shot on September 4 in Hampton County, South Carolina, and taken to a nearby hospital with a superficial gunshot wound.

In a sworn statement seen by Insider, a SLED agent said Murdaugh gave Smith a gun to kill him, but the bullet only grazed his head.

State agents said Murdaugh admitted to police that he had tried to stage his own death and that he had hired Smith to kill him so his surviving son could collect a $10 million life insurance.

The deaths of Murdaugh's wife and son, 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh and 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh, are still unsolved.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 10:13AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Story of lawyer who was shot and his family murdered wasn’t crazy enough…
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 15, 2021 10:26AM
John Grisham could not come up with this one. People in the Lowcountry are like "bout time that SOB saw justice...." This family's corruption has been an open secret for decades.

It all came to the surface when Paul, now murdered, caused a boating accident while drunk, near Beaufort, that killed 19 year old Mallory Beach. When Paul and his mom were murdered in June, he was facing civil suits and felony charges related to Mallory's death. His Dad was facing obstruction of justice related to his behavior after the accident. Three DNR agents on the scene that night are charged with falsifying reports. They tried to pin it on another boy.

There are also two other deaths, one an unsolved homicide from 2015, related to this family.

Alex Murdaugh is a person if interest in his wife and son's deaths.

(El-lick Mur-duck. Pronunciation guide for non-southerners)

The Murdaugh beach house at Edisto is near us...Buster, the remaining family member not dead or in jail, has been laying low there with one of his aunts. I feel very sorry for him, what his young life has become. I'm sure his extended family will look after him.

Anyway, there is a good podcast called Murdaugh Murders if you like southern gothic true crime....FitsNews is a local outlet with the best scoops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 10:29AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2021 10:35AM
.....this was on the news.....in a major way.....apparently the family was/is very influential......he is facing embezzlement charges and can no longer practice law (I believe).....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 15, 2021 10:37AM
Lemon Drop
John Grisham could not come up with this one. People in the Lowcountry are like "bout time that SOB saw justice...." This family's corruption has been an open secret for decades.

It all came to the surface when Paul, now murdered, caused a boating accident while drunk, near Beaufort, that killed 19 year old Mallory Beach. When Paul and his mom were murdered in June, he was facing civil suits and felony charges related to Mallory's death. His Dad was facing obstruction of justice related to his behavior after the accident. Three DNR agents on the scene that night are charged with falsifying reports. They tried to pin it on another boy.

There are also two other deaths, one an unsolved homicide from 2015, related to this family.

(El-lick Mur-duck. Pronunciation guide for non-southerners)

The Murdaugh beach house at Edisto is near us...Buster, the remaining family member not dead or in jail, has been laying low there with one of his aunts. I feel very sorry for him, what his young life has become. I'm sure his extended family will look after him.

Anyway, there is a good podcast called Murdaugh Murders if you like southern gothic true crime....FitsNews is a local outlet with the best scoops.

Definitely going to check that out. What I laid out wasn’t crazy enough and broad of what a crazy circus this is.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 15, 2021 10:49AM
NewtonMP2100
.....this was on the news.....in a major way.....apparently the family was/is very influential......he is facing embezzlement charges and can no longer practice law (I believe).....

Yes, just before he tried to have himself murdered, the law firm fired him on suspicion of misusing funds, millions, and he was disbarred.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 15, 2021 10:51AM
sounds like all the makings of a made-for-tv movie...
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 15, 2021 11:05AM
Seems like a case Nancy Grace could milk on a daily basis for a few years.
Date: September 15, 2021 11:11AM
GGD
Seems like a case Nancy Grace could milk on a daily basis for a few years.

Oh she showed up already but nobody trusts or likes her and she said Mur-daw so ..

The person who has been legitimately investigating this for 3 years, and who has excellent sources and the earliest scoops, is Mandy Matney, who works for Fits News.

She's on Twitter, they have a website, and she has an excellent podcast called Murdaugh Murders.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 15, 2021 11:47AM
Lemon Drop

Perhaps unfair of me, but that was my first thought - he’s probably involved in the other murders.

And the grandfather died three days later, right? With this soap opera, that one seems like it could be understandable as “his heart gave out”.
Date: September 15, 2021 11:58AM
pdq
Lemon Drop

Perhaps unfair of me, but that was my first thought - he’s probably involved in the other murders.

And the grandfather died three days later, right? With this soap opera, that one seems like it could be understandable as “his heart gave out”.

I had pondered if the wife and son were murdered as some kind of retribution for getting involved in the drug world. Maybe he hired a hit man so he could collect on the wife’s life insurance?

Posted by: Microman
Date: September 15, 2021 12:05PM
Better call Saul!
Date: September 15, 2021 12:20PM
pdq
Lemon Drop

Oh I think he's the prime suspect, either he did it or hired someone. People like this just don't get shot execution style at home. Unless he got into some organized crime stuff and this was a revenge hit or something. Really who knows. The family of Mallory Beach was also suspected early on but I believe they were cleared.

Alex's friend recused himself as prosecutor in August because he said there was a conflict of interest based on new, undisclosed evidence in the murders of Paul and Maggie. Why he didn't do that from the start is another story, there may have been evidence tampering.

Alex has the best criminal defense money can buy. The sad drug addiction story doesn't add up though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 12:21PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 15, 2021 12:31PM
The more I see about this, the more this family looks like a template for the stereotype of rich, privileged Southern family that shows up in so much literature, TV shows and movies.
Date: September 15, 2021 05:17PM
JoeH
The more I see about this, the more this family looks like a template for the stereotype of rich, privileged Southern family that shows up in so much literature, TV shows and movies.

I expect it will lead to a big public corruption case. A number of judges and prosecutors and law enforcement types have turned blind eyes to Murdaugh shenanigans.

Today it was announced that state investigators have opened a criminal probe into the mysterious 2018 death of the Murdaugh housekeeper. So that's now 6 open investigations into this one family.

This one is as weird as the rest....
[www.postandcourier.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 15, 2021 07:00PM
SDGuy
sounds like all the makings of a made-for-tv movie...

I would actually watch it if it was done well, not sensationalized.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: September 15, 2021 08:41PM
.....this has 'Lifetime' movie all over it.....bet they are writing the script right now......

Date: September 15, 2021 08:46PM
NewtonMP2100
.....this has 'Lifetime' movie all over it.....bet they are writing the script right now......

I think they have to just wait a few days and more details will drop.

Date: September 15, 2021 08:56PM
HBO docuseries already in the works is what I've heard. There are multiple young victims here, any portrayal needs to reflect that, and be serious.

What locals want is justice for the victims. Not particularly interested in people turning it into entertainment.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 15, 2021 09:39PM
Lemon Drop
HBO docuseries already in the works is what I've heard. There are multiple young victims here, any portrayal needs to reflect that, and be serious.

What locals want is justice for the victims. Not particularly interested in people turning it into entertainment.

If they could make it maybe 6 hours of content or so, I'd watch. I think a made for TV/streaming movie would be way too abbreviated to get to the meat of the story.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 16, 2021 12:16AM
Lemon Drop

This has the makings of anything but another docudrama, it promises to surface in many forms.
Date: September 16, 2021 08:03AM
.....he is set to surrender to authorities....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020