advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max: Apple is using Lytro type tech that allows video depth of field to be set after file recorded
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2021 10:35AM
[m.dpreview.com]

Apple has just announced its iPhone 13 lineup, and one of the stand out features is the new 'Cinematic Mode'. On the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max models, Cinematic Mode allows you to adjust the aperture, or f-stop, to change the depth-of-field after you've shot your video. It also allows you change what's in focus, or rack focus from one subject to another, after-the-fact.

Remember the Lytro Cinema camera the size of a small car that promised the same thing? Think that... but in your pocket.

With the iPhone 13/mini and iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max, you can adjust the focus and f-stop in video after the fact. The interface appears to be similar to the one for Portrait Mode for stills.
The iPhone 13 and 13 Pro models use the stereo disparity* between the wide and ultra-wide cameras to generate a depth map, which software can later use to selectively blur the foreground and background and simulate any chosen f-stop. While the larger sensors in these phones will lend the footage shallower native depth-of-field than previous phones, the depth map allows for additional computational blur much like the Portrait Mode that is so popular on smartphone devices these days.

Users can also change focus to any portion of the scene (that was acceptably in focus to begin with when shot), or create focus racks after-the-fact.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max: Apple is using Lytro type tech that allows video depth of field to be set after file recorded
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 15, 2021 10:45AM
Wild. I thought the cinematic mode was actually racking focus. I didn’t realize it was doing it algorithmicly.
Re: iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max: Apple is using Lytro type tech that allows video depth of field to be set after file recorded
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 15, 2021 10:58AM
Tres chic. I had a pocket Lytro briefly, but didn't really find a use for it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2021 11:04AM
So cool! I still have my Lytro on a shelf somewhere...
Posted by: d4
Date: September 15, 2021 11:23AM
Wow. I'm getting flashbacks from a decade ago. I remember reading about Lytro on dpreview and following it's progress. I had no idea anyone ever actually bought one of those cameras.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 15, 2021 11:28AM
I had figured as much. Is that mesh circle thing is on the back where the cameras are related to it?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2021 11:29AM
d4
Wow. I'm getting flashbacks from a decade ago. I remember reading about Lytro on dpreview and following it's progress. I had no idea anyone ever actually bought one of those cameras.

Well, not very many of us for sure!

I wanted to use this on a microscope, but the adapters had to be hand-made.

I can attest that the cameras DID work as advertised - I wanted to use this for other applications.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 15, 2021 11:32AM
Would be fun to see what kind of results you could get for kids' sports highlights. Not sure if any of you saw the Browns-Chiefs game on Sunday. The intermixed shallow DOF shots were kind of cool. A little jarring and out of place, but I liked it.

[www.cleveland.com]

[nofilmschool.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 15, 2021 03:58PM
Blast from the past. I had a Lytro on pre-order. It sounded so cool. But after the delivery date kept slipping and slipping, I cancelled it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020