advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any rock groups/performers you've become less impressed with over time?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 15, 2021 01:00PM
I'll start.

I'm finding while I still really like most of The Who's best songs, I'm just skipping over their mediocre ones.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any rock groups/performers you've become less impressed with over time?
Posted by: hal
Date: September 15, 2021 01:17PM
(I'll not comment on the OP's blasphemy...)

Led Zeppelin... I remember the day that I heard Living Loving Maid/Heartbreaker on the radio when I was doing my paper route in the morning. As soon as I got home I called the DJ and ask who the hell was that?

That was probably the most thrilling radio moment of my life. These guys were GREAT! My tastes really developed over the next few years and I then became old enough that my parents let me go to concerts. From 75-77 I saw many of my favorite bands including the Who & the Dead Day on the Green (76) and Yes (75,76,77,78,79), ELP and lots of others, but I was really excited to see Zeppelin. THey didn't have a live album out then like everyone else. Live music is the best! The movie (song remains the same) was terrible, but so was Yes' (Yessongs) and they impressed the hell out of me when I saw them.

The Zeppelin 1977 show was a notorious disaster, but I never forgave them for being so crappy on stage. My enjoyment waned over the years. I still haven't heard any live Zeppelin that knocked my socks off. I will listen to the odd song here or there, but I haven't listened to a whole album in decades.

There are MANY disappointments, but this is #1 for me.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 15, 2021 01:29PM
How The West Was Won is the live Led Zeppelin (triple cd) album to get.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 15, 2021 01:33PM
hal
(I'll not comment on the OP's blasphemy...)

Led Zeppelin... I remember the day that I heard Living Loving Maid/Heartbreaker on the radio when I was doing my paper route in the morning. As soon as I got home I called the DJ and ask who the hell was that?

That was probably the most thrilling radio moment of my life. These guys were GREAT! My tastes really developed over the next few years and I then became old enough that my parents let me go to concerts. From 75-77 I saw many of my favorite bands including the Who & the Dead Day on the Green (76) and Yes (75,76,77,78,79), ELP and lots of others, but I was really excited to see Zeppelin. THey didn't have a live album out then like everyone else. Live music is the best! The movie (song remains the same) was terrible, but so was Yes' (Yessongs) and they impressed the hell out of me when I saw them.

The Zeppelin 1977 show was a notorious disaster, but I never forgave them for being so crappy on stage. My enjoyment waned over the years. I still haven't heard any live Zeppelin that knocked my socks off. I will listen to the odd song here or there, but I haven't listened to a whole album in decades.

There are MANY disappointments, but this is #1 for me.

Maybe it's wise not to let one live show pull down your opinion of the band's entire body of work? Maybe?

It is what it is.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 15, 2021 01:33PM
As time goes on I am more and more impressed that the Beatles did all that in like 10 years.
Date: September 15, 2021 01:35PM
chopper
As time goes on I am more and more impressed that the Beatles did all that in like 10 years.

Same here. Not only the musical growth they experienced in that time period, but the tremendous impact they had on the world of popular music.

It is what it is.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 15, 2021 01:39PM
Fleetwood Mac.

Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 15, 2021 01:42PM
chopper

agree smiley

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Date: September 15, 2021 01:45PM
Weezer

The only record of theirs that I liked was the green one, but I absolutely can't listen to them anymore
Date: September 15, 2021 01:55PM
chopper

me too - learning guitar finally has taught me so much more about how unusual and wonderful their music is
Date: September 15, 2021 01:56PM
freeradical
How The West Was Won is the live Led Zeppelin (triple cd) album to get.

I have it - never listen to it because I just don't like it
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 15, 2021 01:56PM
I would have to also say Led Zeppelin. I was a huge Yardbirds/Page fan and Zeppelin totally shaped my own guitar playing and music when their first album came out. I remember I first heard them when Scott Muni played Communication Breakdown on WNEW. My jaw dropped. I found out this was Page, the guy who had just played my high school the year before. I saw them three times on their first tour. Second album was great although I felt all the noodling around in the middle was annoying and I couldn’t wait for Bonzo and them to come back in on Whole Lotta Love. I started losing interest as they began adding softer stuff and Page seemed to be getting somewhat sloppy with his playing as time went on. I still love the heavy stuff and those first records are classics to me.

I’m also finding myself more amazed with the Beatles and what they did as time goes on.

JoeM
Date: September 15, 2021 01:58PM
JoeM
I would have to also say Led Zeppelin. I was a huge Yardbirds/Page fan and Zeppelin totally shaped my own guitar playing and music when their first album came out. I remember I first heard them when Scott Muni played Communication Breakdown on WNEW. My jaw dropped. I found out this was Page, the guy who had just played my high school the year before. I saw them three times on their first tour. Second album was great although I felt all the noodling around in the middle was annoying and I couldn’t wait for Bonzo and them to come back in on Whole Lotta Love. I started losing interest as they began adding softer stuff and Page seemed to be getting somewhat sloppy with his playing as time went on. I still love the heavy stuff and those first records are classics to me.

I’m also finding myself more amazed with the Beatles and what they did as time goes on.

Really looking forward to the upcoming Zep documentary

[www.rollingstone.com]

Apparently Jimmy liked it

[ultimateclassicrock.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 15, 2021 02:39PM
pinkoos
chopper

agree smiley

In a 34-month period The Beatles released:

A Hard Day’s Night
Beatles for Sale
Help
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper

Six months later, they dropped Magical Mystery Tour.

The absolute GOATs

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 15, 2021 02:40PM
For me it was Danny and the Juniors wall smiley
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2021 02:41PM
Tim Apple.

Posted by: GeneH
Date: September 15, 2021 02:50PM
N-OS X-tasy!
chopper

Same here. Not only the musical growth they experienced in that time period, but the tremendous impact they had on the world of popular music.

And not just in the world of popular music. In an era of competition between Eastern and Western ideologies - political, scientific, technological, and cultural, the Beatles, the Stones, you-name-them helped the West win the CULTURAL WAR "HANDS DOWN!". It wasn't even close, though much has to be said for the Russian contribution to the Fine Arts! The almost-universal appeal of the Western "music cadre" was an often overlooked aspect of the Cold War and soared over many an Iron Curtain.

Hate to include this but it isn't only my opinion. I've heard that expressed by noteworthy analysts of the past and especially of that era. This may fly over the heads of many here as this is a youthful gathering of minds, post-20th century and not many know of or remember the tremendous struggle of that time.

I became aware of that one night while jawing with a relative in his home in an Iron Curtain country while listening to a Radio Free Europe broadcast back in the 80s. We half listened to the reports but when they broke to play a Beatles tune, the relative immediately got up to turn the volume up. The Cold War was being won!
Date: September 15, 2021 02:56PM
I'm sure it's been posted here already, but if you haven't checked out the McCartney 3-2-1 series of interviews between Paul and Rick Rubin you should

He tells some great stories behind iconic Beatles tunes and some solo ones as well

[youtu.be]

Also, I think he's an underrated bass player
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 15, 2021 03:08PM
pinkoos
I'm sure it's been posted here already, but if you haven't checked out the McCartney 3-2-1 series of interviews between Paul and Rick Rubin you should

He tells some great stories behind iconic Beatles tunes and some solo ones as well

[youtu.be]

Yes, highly recommended.

And, yes, underrated.

Speaking of which, Ringo has some fans, too. smiling smiley
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 15, 2021 03:09PM
Was it Abbey Road by the Beatles that thru together the odd songs they had written but didn't know where to put them. So there is Mean Mr. Mustard, and Polythene Pam, etc..

I heard that John Lennon, didn't like that stretch of the album.

And we all thought it was great.

One thing about Lennon, and anyone with an opinion, is that he do some of the things that he would also complain about. Oh and that interview on Dick Caveat of George Harrison, what a mood Harrison was in. Although Harrison is my favorite Beatle.

After a while like all bands, John Lennon would look back at the Beatle years, and be disgusted with them. But that is what made him rich and famous to do the things he went on to do.

Don't get me started the other day, I had to buy some gas for my sons car, and he left it on Sirius Beatle station. They were doing a Yoko Ono song fest. Playing her favorites, and saying how much of a punk rocker (I think it was), like the Ramones??? I don't think so.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 15, 2021 03:09PM
wurm
pinkoos

[youtu.be]

Yes, highly recommended (although Rick's a bit much on the fan-boy thing sometimes).

And, yes, underrated.

Speaking of which, Ringo has some fans, too. smiling smiley
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 15, 2021 03:12PM
pinkoos

Really looking forward to the upcoming Zep documentary

[www.rollingstone.com]

Apparently Jimmy liked it

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

I’m really looking forward to it as well!

JoeM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 15, 2021 03:14PM
The likable music has always remained likable.

The groups (mostly) from my youth are too old now, for those that are still alive, to put on anywhere near an enjoyable show. The recordings from the 50's, 60's, & 70's, and some from the 80's will always be music to my ears.
==
Date: September 15, 2021 03:17PM
#2 disappointment is probably Genesis. My absolutely fav band until they lost guitarist Steve Hackett. The output from then on was WEAK! A couple of good songs here and there, but no more masterpiece albums.

Another disappointment is Elton John. I still LOVE those early albums, but over the years, his music got more and more forgettable. He put out a very nice retrospective life album. The songs that I like are AWESOME live. A great performer, but his music just went flat after a while. Too bad...

I was never heavily invested in Journey, but I liked those first three albums - enough to go and see them live, but what I saw was a new band with a new lead singer - it was terrible! I know I'm in the minority here, but so be it...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 15, 2021 03:33PM
But The Who were exploring all facets of rock, even if I (also) can't listen to some of it. I give them complete credit for treading such innovative territory. They are true innovators, unmatched, I believe, in terms of a quartet rock band.

Here's an unpopular opinion.... I think The Beatles made amazing music, but that George Martin was really the ghost in the machine for that band. I truly believe none of that would have happened without him. And... It's been rumored that he should be credited with writing their music.
Date: September 15, 2021 03:36PM
mrbigstuff
But The Who were exploring all facets of rock, even if I (also) can't listen to some of it. I give them complete credit for treading such innovative territory. They are true innovators, unmatched, I believe, in terms of a quartet rock band.

Here's an unpopular opinion.... I think The Beatles made amazing music, but that George Martin was really the ghost in the machine for that band. I truly believe none of that would have happened without him. And... It's been rumored that he should be credited with writing their music.

Maybe Martin should be considered the *sixth* Beatle (Billy Preston being the fifth)
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 15, 2021 03:39PM
I only judge artists by their period of prime productivity.

I worshipped Stevie Wonder as a boy and on through The Secret Life of Plants. I became angry that he kept making sappy music afterwards and would complain about it too much (apparently).

One time my mother got sick of me bitchin' about him and put me straight.

She said something like"

He had you gaga over him your whole life but now you're actually ANGRY that you don't like his music. Who the F#(& are you to complain? He gave you thousands of dollars worth of music and concerts for practically nothing. He doesn't oweyoushit. He's entitled to make anything he wants and if he wants to make garbage, that's his right. What kind of flimsy fan are you that you expect him to stay at the top of the mountain forever??? Why can't you just be grateful???

I hated it when she clowned me out.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 15, 2021 04:24PM
Metallica. Every album after self-titled only have a few good songs. I don't listen to the later whole albums very often.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 15, 2021 04:56PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Metallica. Every album after self-titled only have a few good songs. I don't listen to the later whole albums very often.

That sentiment is pretty universal.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 15, 2021 05:45PM
I still love Zepp the band, but I cringe every time I hear that pig squeal.
And I think he'd agree.
The Beatles and George were absolutely amazing in that time.
The McC special with the insufferable rubin is really fascinating when rubin shuts tfu.
George is still, by far, my fave songwriter in the Beatles.
I'd agree that Stevie Wonder fell off the planet after Songs.
Genesis bored me after the went pop, so everything after Gabriel.
A few cuts here and there, but mostly drivel.
Elton up to the Westies. After that a track or two here and there.

I find it difficult to listen to the Moodies, who I really liked as a teen.
Great band, but a lot of the material doesn't age well.
Especially the late Ray stuff.

Likewise ELO. I loved the 1st 5 LPs, but I can't listen to much after the 1st 2 anymore.

I wish that there had been more solid songwriting output from Grace Slicks Airplane. Surrealistic Pillow is a great LP buried in bad production and reverb. The next 4 were Al Schmidt productions and much better.
Then came the self produced Bark and they withered on.

It amazes me how much music I grew up with I still really like, for over 50 years.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 15, 2021 08:31PM
Not quite the answer to the question, but Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 was and still is one of my all-time favorite albums -- and Traveling Wilburys Vol 3 was one of my all-time least favorites.

Posted by: davester
Date: September 15, 2021 10:46PM
vision63
I only judge artists by their period of prime productivity.

I worshipped Stevie Wonder as a boy and on through The Secret Life of Plants. I became angry that he kept making sappy music afterwards and would complain about it too much (apparently).

One time my mother got sick of me bitchin' about him and put me straight.

She said something like"

He had you gaga over him your whole life but now you're actually ANGRY that you don't like his music. Who the F#(& are you to complain? He gave you thousands of dollars worth of music and concerts for practically nothing. He doesn't oweyoushit. He's entitled to make anything he wants and if he wants to make garbage, that's his right. What kind of flimsy fan are you that you expect him to stay at the top of the mountain forever??? Why can't you just be grateful???

I hated it when she clowned me out.

This reminds me a bit of Bob Dylan's folk fans getting upset that he started playing rock material and using an electric guitar. At one concert they were booing him so he flipped them off and walked out.

On a related note, I went to see the first CSNY reunion concert some years back and one of them said something like "I know you guys all want to hear the old songs and we'll play those, but we also want to play our new material...that's what keeps us alive".

As to the original question, the Bee Gees. I loved their pre-disco stuff. I understand that they became disco stars, but the gross overproduction, simplistic pounding beat and boring lyrics of disco just totally turned me off.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 10:52PM by davester.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 16, 2021 12:07AM
Alice Cooper. With his original band they rocked hard. After that, not so much.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 16, 2021 03:59PM
This question can be interpreted in two ways.

Have I listened to some performers as a kid that I am somewhat ashamed of now? Sure. My first non-classical records were Demis Roussos and Terry Jacks.

But for the bands that went from geniuses to boring pop sellouts in my mind, I would have to list Pink Floyd (after Animals) and Genesis (after Wind and Wuthering, although I do like some of And Then There Were Three).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020