advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time to trash a jump drive?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 16, 2021 05:44AM
I use said jump drive for transferring between my laptop (internet access) and offline design computer (CS 6 loaded - Mac Mini 2009 OS 10.9 and no, job didn't provide it for remote working).

Been using drive for a long time (years) and lately it's been bumped enough to disengage improperly several times.

Now it won't mount at all.

1. Is there a better way to transfer things between the two? I use the laptop for email, website updating etc so definitely need access to stuff. A cable between instead of a jump drive?

2. Is it worth trying to get it to mount and reformat it? This I'm interesting in trying regardless as a learning experience.

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time to trash a jump drive?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 16, 2021 05:53AM
I would normally recommend networking the two, but it sounds like you're deliberately keeping your production machine offline.

A replacement jump drive is recommended. I will also note that USB ports and connectors wear out over time, especially if the devices are dusty or collect pocket lint/sand which becomes abrasive.

Jump drives have a finite lifetime, and are disposable items.
Date: September 16, 2021 06:03AM
cbelt3
I would normally recommend networking the two, but it sounds like you're deliberately keeping your production machine offline.

A replacement jump drive is recommended. I will also note that USB ports and connectors wear out over time, especially if the devices are dusty or collect pocket lint/sand which becomes abrasive.

What about networking with just a cable between the two? Worth trying or stick to the jump drive method?
Date: September 16, 2021 06:08AM
What form of laptop ? The mac to mac experts here can guide you. I keep thinking target disk mode but that's kind of an antique process.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 16, 2021 06:21AM
If you turn on file sharing for both machines, and both are on the same network, you should be able to transfer that way. I have a cMP brute of a machine loaded with drives and an external 14 TB drive. I use it for, among other things, a file server for my i7 MBP laptop. I do screen sharing, and run the Mac Pro from my laptop.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 16, 2021 06:47AM
Out of curiosity. Why aren't you working on the internet enabled computer? OR. Why isn't the computer you ARE working on internet enabled?

Date: September 16, 2021 07:05AM
bazookaman
Out of curiosity. Why aren't you working on the internet enabled computer? OR. Why isn't the computer you ARE working on internet enabled?

I decided to take my Mac Mini offline because of the work email (Outlook web/internet Log in version) wasn't working well anymore. Easier to use the laptop for email/Internet stuff. Adobe CS6 won't play well with Big Sur.

cbelt: Laptop is a MacBook Pro 2013 that I keep up to date. Running Big Sur 11.5.2
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 16, 2021 08:15AM
Am I missing something here? Do you have a wireless router? You should be able to turn on file sharing on both Macs, be connected to the same network and transfer files without actually connecting to the internet. It's basically the same as what we always did before wireless, connect computers to each other with ethernet cables and routers even before the www. Were the '13 MBPs the first retina models? Was there even an ethernet port? I didn't sleep well last night so may be totally off.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2021 08:15AM
.......the last time I used mine to travel in time.....it quit on me too.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: September 16, 2021 08:21AM
If you don't want to network the two, just get a new jump drive. They're really cheap and you already know they work.
Date: September 16, 2021 08:54AM
NewtonMP2100
.......the last time I used mine to travel in time.....it quit on me too.....

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2021 08:55AM
I say get a new drive.

Plentiful, cheap, convenient.

File sharing, as I know it, is a little slow for me, but it works for two Macs in different rooms.

It would get very old very quickly if I had to do it every day.

For two Macs close enough to consider a cable, I'd just get new jump drive and have a very short sneaker net.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 16, 2021 08:58AM
mstudio
Am I missing something here? Do you have a wireless router? You should be able to turn on file sharing on both Macs, be connected to the same network and transfer files without actually connecting to the internet. It's basically the same as what we always did before wireless, connect computers to each other with ethernet cables and routers even before the www. Were the '13 MBPs the first retina models? Was there even an ethernet port? I didn't sleep well last night so may be totally off.

Going to try the file sharing and see if it works for me; picking up some jump drives on my next outing to town.
Date: September 16, 2021 08:59AM
RAMd®d
I say get a new drive.

Plentiful, cheap, convenient.

File sharing, as I know it, is a little slow for me, but it works for two Macs in different rooms.

For two Macs close enough to consider a cable, I'd just get new jump drive and have a very short sneaker net.

Is sneaker net what I think it is? I need more coffee..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 08:59AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2021 09:12AM
Is sneaker net what I think it is?

Probably.

Instead of internet or network, one is using their sneaks to move the thumb drive back and forth from computer to computer.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 09:13AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 16, 2021 09:26AM
One benefit of using a jump drive is you have a backup of the files being moved.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 16, 2021 09:52AM
Lizabeth
RAMd®d

Is sneaker net what I think it is? I need more coffee..

Haha, haven't heard that term in awhile, yeah since you walked the files from computer to computer. I remember burning CDs and DVDs to transfer files, talk about slow.
Although file sharing can seem slow, my experience has been that copying to a USB stick then copying to the other Mac takes as long. You can finish that cup of coffee instead of walking back and forth.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 16, 2021 10:10AM
Target Disk mode still works with Firewire and Thunderbolt cables for all Mac models up through the latest Intel models, but not with the M1 Macs.

Transferring via the same network works. USB thumb drives are ok and cheap.

Lizabeth
cbelt3

What about networking with just a cable between the two? Worth trying or stick to the jump drive method?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 16, 2021 10:58AM
I woudl agree with wireless networking. No internet needed, they just talk wirelessly. ID add a shortcut to each mac in the sidebar for faster access.

before gigabit, this was the best way =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 16, 2021 12:05PM
jdc
I woudl agree with wireless networking. No internet needed, they just talk wirelessly. ID add a shortcut to each mac in the sidebar for faster access.

That takes me back...and I remember zip disks failing on a regular basis.
Date: September 16, 2021 01:19PM
I will note that doing a file share on a network involves permission setting on both machines, unless you are using the same AppleID/Userid for both of them.

Honestly a new jump drive is your easiest solution. Get a couple of them and rotate them.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 16, 2021 01:35PM
Lizabeth
jdc

[www.howtogeek.com]

Click of Death!
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 16, 2021 06:39PM
cbelt3
I will note that doing a file share on a network involves permission setting on both machines, unless you are using the same AppleID/Userid for both of them.

Honestly a new jump drive is your easiest solution. Get a couple of them and rotate them.

Just stay away from the cheap, off-name brands you find on Amazon - there's mostly junk. And if you want something larger than about 256GB make sure it's a really good top name brand. The name brands of any size do cost more, but you get what you pay for.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 16, 2021 07:18PM
Id get a small SSD everyday and twice on Sunday if you are gonna stick with sneaker net.

100 X faster. Like this.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2021 07:21PM
Just replace the drive and move on. Don’t change what works.
Date: September 17, 2021 01:04AM
space-time
Just replace the drive and move on. Don’t change what works.

That’s where I am headed on this.

Tho, is it still sneaker net if the the two computers are sitting next to each other?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 17, 2021 02:22AM
Lux Interior
Lizabeth
jdc

[www.howtogeek.com]

Click of Death!

I only experienced that twice. Both times I deep formatted the disk before it ruined the drive.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020