advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hotel changes food service for a wedding
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 16, 2021 07:02AM
I am involved with event production and this weekend dealing with a wedding planned for 120 people. The hotel, a upper mid range major brand informed the bride that they cannot provide the contracted plated dinner service, instead will have to do buffet stations.

Reason? Not enough staff. BTW they are offering waiters and waitresses $25 per hr to work the wedding.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hotel changes food service for a wedding
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 16, 2021 07:16AM
It is like that everywhere. Very short of staff at all sorts of places.
In this time of pandemic you have to sort of roll with the flow, IMHO.
They are probably lucky they can still have the event at all.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2021 08:06AM
.....the news said due to shortage of truck drivers......restaurants have to deal with shortages of foods, every week.....they are constantly adjusting menus because some item is not available.......similar to the shortage of bus drivers.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 16, 2021 10:09AM
rgG
It is like that everywhere. Very short of staff at all sorts of places.
In this time of pandemic you have to sort of roll with the flow, IMHO.
They are probably lucky they can still have the event at all.

Dining halls at the university I retired from are short of regular staff, a number left due to retirement or getting other jobs after being furloughed. Many of the temporary, un-benefitted staff did not return either. Staff are working 50-80 hours a week. They could make it up partly by hiring student workers, but they aren't coming out for jobs. Just recently they upped the student pay to $15 an hour from the normal minimum wage $13.50 in hopes of getting more to apply.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 16, 2021 10:49AM
Went on a walk yesterday around the local business area. Just about every shop had a "help wanted" sign up.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 16, 2021 12:29PM
I've read about people signing up at multiple fast food businesses to collect the $1000 signing bonus. They still don't give them full-time work because that would require benefits so they work McD's, BK, KFC...etc all raking in the bucks. If available they work OT. If you're a hustler with a HS diploma you can make some good $$$. I mean, a college degree in engineering would still pay better but, if that's what you've got...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: d4
Date: September 16, 2021 12:39PM
For a "one-off" gig like a wedding dinner. $25 an hour for waitstaff is garbage. How long is dinner? Let's say it's 4 hours. What is that, $70 after taxes? Transportation, uniform, training, dealing with drunks, etc.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 16, 2021 12:49PM
d4
For a "one-off" gig like a wedding dinner. $25 an hour for waitstaff is garbage. How long is dinner? Let's say it's 4 hours. What is that, $70 after taxes? Transportation, uniform, training, dealing with drunks, etc.

Most of those costs should be amortized over multiple events. One doesn't require a new uniform or new training for each separate wedding dinner, for instance.

It is what it is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 16, 2021 02:17PM
Not surprised.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 02:18PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 16, 2021 03:17PM
I wouldn't go to an indoor event with 120 people right now, and potential wait staff are going to be thinking the same thing. Not worth the risk.

The formula has changed in the hospitality industry and I'm not sure it will return in the near future. You can make great money waiting tables or bartending in a place that isn't cheap and that stays busy throughout your shift. That's the old model.

If you're willing to take the health risk and work in a restaurant or bar, most are not crowded enough now to make decent tips.
And if all you're doing is ringing up takeout orders, then good luck. BTW be sure to tip that cashier well!

If you're using a food delivery app, nobody's making anything.

I think these places are going to have to guarantee decent wages and improve working conditions in order to survive, but many won't. That means raising menu prices, you can't rely on customer tipping to ensure your staff gets paid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 03:18PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: September 16, 2021 03:38PM
Mr645

Reason? Not enough staff. BTW they are offering waiters and waitresses $25 per hr to work the wedding.[/quote

IMO, $25 per hour is very low for waitstaff. If you think of it, at a reasonably priced dinner with drinks, say a wait staff has 5 tables/parties. even if the server does not get any more parties in those 4(?) hours and each party of 4 has a check of $150, at 20% that's $30 per table times 5 = $150 for that server.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: d4
Date: September 16, 2021 04:02PM
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

Most of those costs should be amortized over multiple events. One doesn't require a new uniform or new training for each separate wedding dinner, for instance.

There's no debating it. If the money was fair there wouldn't be numerous waitstaff positions to fill. And the bride's guests can be served their food on a platter instead of at the trough buffet. Let's start talking at $50 an hour. You might actually attract some experienced waitstaff who know what their doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 04:05PM by d4.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 16, 2021 09:57PM
Hope that bride isn't anything like my ex-wife was on our wedding day. smiley-talk034

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: September 17, 2021 06:39AM
d4
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

There's no debating it. If the money was fair there wouldn't be numerous waitstaff positions to fill. And the bride's guests can be served their food on a platter instead of at the trough buffet. Let's start talking at $50 an hour. You might actually attract some experienced waitstaff who know what their doing.

$50 to bring plates of food, refill water glasses, clear dishes? Wow, seems crazy to me. NO skills, no education needed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 06:40AM by Mr645.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 17, 2021 06:49AM
Mr645
d4
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

$50 to bring plates of food, refill water glasses, clear dishes? Wow, seems crazy to me. NO skills, no education needed

$50/hr was the going rate for help hired for specific events at large venues here prior to the pandemic.

$25/hr is what the full time wait staff would make for an event.

With the pandemic, add "risking your life, risking hospital/medical fees, risking long-COVID, and dealing with jerks who won't mask around you" to your wage-calculations.

Date: September 17, 2021 07:19AM
.....it's a.....nice day....for a.....white wedding......

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 17, 2021 07:43AM
I wish folks would stop saying "unskilled labor." It is false and demeaning to people you are trying to get to do a good job at something, especially if it is to help YOU make money.

Everybody who has done hospitality works know you learn to do it well and not everybody can.
Date: September 17, 2021 08:35AM
......agreed....having worked events in the past....and dealing with people, many moronic, it does take skill to do that....

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 17, 2021 09:25PM
last numbers I read, but never verified, are/were 9 million unemployed, and 11 million jobs open. Anyone unemployed is probably not wanting to work (or relocate)

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: raz
Date: September 18, 2021 07:03AM
Racer X
last numbers I read, but never verified, are/were 9 million unemployed, and 11 million jobs open. Anyone unemployed is probably not wanting to work (or relocate)

Or not wanting to put up with a crappy job dealing with poor mannered customers for a non-living wage.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: September 18, 2021 07:18AM
Sarcany
Mr645
d4
N-OS X-tasy!
d4

$50/hr was the going rate for help hired for specific events at large venues here prior to the pandemic.

$25/hr is what the full time wait staff would make for an event.

With the pandemic, add "risking your life, risking hospital/medical fees, risking long-COVID, and dealing with jerks who won't mask around you" to your wage-calculations.

After asking what the standard pay rate for the staff is.

$14 hr for full time staff with an extra $5 per hr for Saturday social functions. There is also a tip typically given by the client which gets shared by all of the staff equally. The Maitre D gets a separate tip. They also use a staffing agency from time to time that costs $23 hr with $12.50 going to the actual worker. Staffing agencies have no workers either.

Also, perhaps unskilled is the wrong word. But this is a job that requires minimal training, staff are often trained on the job in an hour or two. High school diploma is preferred but not required.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 18, 2021 09:06AM
Mr645
After asking what the standard pay rate for the staff is...

Where is this? Someplace rural?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 09:06AM by Sarcany.
Date: September 19, 2021 06:24AM
Sarcany
Mr645
After asking what the standard pay rate for the staff is...

Where is this? Someplace rural?

Miami Florida.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020