advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apparently, I Can No Longer Use My Home Office iMac With My Bank Or Credit Union
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 16, 2021 12:49PM
This started at tax time. H&R Block and TurboTax both stated I need a newer version of OS to continue. Problem is, my ancient iMac (about a dozen years old) will not support the newer OS. Someone here recommended a free, online tax website that worked well and allowed me to file my taxes.

All has been good since that hiccup, at least until last week. I started having issues of not being able to log in to either Chase Bank or my Credit Union. Both sites say I need a newer version of browser and send me to the update sites to D/L software my machine doesn't support.

Grr!! So what's the solution here? Do I actually have to buy new hardware just to do my online banking? Perhaps there is some kind of workaround?

I hate the thought of replacing this perfectly fine working machine with new iron. censored smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apparently, I Can No Longer Use My Home Office iMac With My Bank Or Credit Union
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 16, 2021 12:54PM
How many browsers have you tried? How about banking on your phone?
Re: Apparently, I Can No Longer Use My Home Office iMac With My Bank Or Credit Union
Date: September 16, 2021 12:59PM
jonny

I've tried all the big name browsers. No luck.

I use the iPhone occasionally for this kind of stuff, but I need a bigger screen for my old eyes.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 16, 2021 01:03PM
Yep, it sucks, and I have run into it before.
If you can’t upgrade the browser, to get to a compatible security level, you are probably SOL.
Do you have an iPad that you can use for banking? It’s bigger than a phone and should work with their app or Safari.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 16, 2021 01:07PM
[dosdude1.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 16, 2021 01:07PM
Rick-o
...buy new hardware just to do my online banking...

agree smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2021 01:10PM
.......way back upgrading was an option.....no longer.......iPad keeps forcing you to upgrade all the apps, very often and the same for browsers, otherwise you can't login in any longer.......the same thing happened for Chase......could no longer upgrade the browser due to old machine.....

.....was forced to get newer machine but just got a Macbook Air....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 16, 2021 01:13PM
Get yourself a cheap PC and install Ubuntu Linux. There's probably a way to get Ubuntu on your old Mac too, but last time I looked into it, it wasn't worth the effort. It was cheaper to go to a local shop and buy a reasonably spec'd used Dell.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 16, 2021 01:16PM
Which mac do you have? Which OS are you running? Perhaps its possible and worthwhile to upgrade.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 16, 2021 01:21PM
Check out the dosdude link. YouCan probably install a newer operating system, but it will not be supported.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 16, 2021 01:40PM
Install a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition.
I’ve done that with a 2007 Macbook that won’t run a MacOS newer than 10.7. It had to be the 32 bit version of Windows 7. It’s cheaper than buying new hardware.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 16, 2021 01:47PM
SDGuy
Rick-o

agree smiley

It's reasonable to expect a computer to have a finite service life - twelve years is a pretty damn good run.

It's NOT reasonable to expect the world to continue to support a twelve-year old computer - or, more accurately, all 97 of them.

Sounds like it's time to go shopping for a new computer.

Or you can switch to financial institutions that do (currently) support twelve-year old computers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 16, 2021 02:28PM
N-OS X-tasy!
SDGuy
Rick-o

agree smiley

It's reasonable to expect a computer to have a finite service life - twelve years is a pretty damn good run.

It's NOT reasonable to expect the world to continue to support a twelve-year old computer - or, more accurately, all 97 of them.

Sounds like it's time to go shopping for a new computer.

Or you can switch to financial institutions that do (currently) support twelve-year old computers.

And even if there were a workaround, do you really want to put your online financial dealings in the hands of a machine/software held together with spit, chewing gum and bailing wire?

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2021 02:30PM
I'm using High Sierra and occasionally when a site won't play nice with Safari, I find Firefox works fine.

There may be a point when Firefox won't suffice, and a new OS will be required to support a newer build of Firefox.

Sounds like new iron is in order, even if it's merely new to you iron.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 16, 2021 02:31PM
You can plug your iPhone into your Mac and use QuickTime Player /new movie/iPhone to see the iPhone screen on your Mac. You still have to do the banking on your phone screen, but you can se what it is you are to do much better/larger.

Rick-o
jonny

I've tried all the big name browsers. No luck.

I use the iPhone occasionally for this kind of stuff, but I need a bigger screen for my old eyes.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 16, 2021 02:41PM
Time to upgrade. The colorful iMacs look cool ! I'm in the same boat.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 16, 2021 02:56PM
Rick-O,

Ignore everything said so far except for the request about what model Mac and what OS. Once you give that to us, we can offer viable advice. I recently came across an issue with Safari and Home Depot on a 2012 MBA Air running El Capitan. I believe it's El Capitan. Switched to Firefox and the problem vanished. You've already tried that and it isn't a viable solution. Once you give us the Model and OS, we might find a workaround with your existing hardware that isn't a duct tape solution.

Worst case, you might be able to spend a reasonable amount of bucks - $500 or so - and replace the iMac with a used or vendor refurb iMac or Macbook that will run a much more recent version of the OS, i.e. Mojave or Catalina. Based on nwhat you're using now, this might prove a better solution than going newer especially if you need to start replacing 32 bit software for which you don't have viable alternatives.

I'd go for a used Mac before buying a Windows box or running a flavor of Linux. I've tested both as an alternative to a Mac for general day to day computing and neither cut it. I definitely wouldn't want to try and run the screen of an iOS device on a Mac as a workaround. That's _way_ too much of a kludge. I'd go with a Windows machine before doing that.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 16, 2021 03:02PM
refurb.me
OWC though I'd get more RAM
swappa

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 16, 2021 03:02PM
Our sponsor has more than a few used/refurbished/cutout Macs available for under $500: [eshop.macsales.com]

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 16, 2021 03:18PM
I agree that a "new" Mac in this case could very well be a used Mac of more recent vintage.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 16, 2021 04:27PM
RAMd®d
I'm using High Sierra and occasionally when a site won't play nice with Safari, I find Firefox works fine.

There may be a point when Firefox won't suffice, and a new OS will be required to support a newer build of Firefox.

Sounds like new iron is in order, even if it's merely new to you iron.

agree smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 16, 2021 04:54PM
Rick-o
my ancient iMac (about a dozen years old) will not support the newer OS…So what's the solution here?

You should be able to update it to High Sierra (macOS 10.13) and that should do the trick. Depending on which OS you're running now, you may have to do an intermediate update before going to High Sierra.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 16, 2021 05:54PM
It’s time to upgrade to a newer machine. The oldest OS supported by Apple is Mojave OSX 10.14
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 16, 2021 06:03PM
Article Accelerator
Rick-o
my ancient iMac (about a dozen years old) will not support the newer OS…So what's the solution here?

You should be able to update it to High Sierra (macOS 10.13) and that should do the trick. Depending on which OS you're running now, you may have to do an intermediate update before going to High Sierra.

Without knowing the exact model you can't be sure. If it's Late 2009 then yes, High Sierra, but if it's Early 2009 then it's El Capitan.

Way too much unspecified information to give any help.

What model / year iMac?
What current OS?
What browsers and versions?
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 16, 2021 06:23PM
Same thing happened to me a couple days ago. My online CU started glitching on Safari on my old mini running Yosemite. Switched to Chrome, works fine.
Date: September 16, 2021 06:32PM
Wags
Same thing happened to me a couple days ago. My online CU started glitching on Safari on my old mini running Yosemite. Switched to Chrome, works fine.

El Capitan will run the most current version of Chrome (93.0.4577), and the most current ESR version of FireFox (78.14.0 released this month). Safari will be the least up to date browser on old OS version since Apple stops updating it.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 16, 2021 06:55PM
Chase doesn't like the latest version of Firefox on my cMP5,1 running Sierra. It does work with Safari on the same machine though, even though the version of Safari is several years older than the latest Firefox.
Date: September 16, 2021 08:29PM
mattkime
Which mac do you have? Which OS are you running? Perhaps its possible and worthwhile to upgrade.

iMac 24" Early 2009 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

OS 10.9.5

Safari 9.1.3

Chrome 65.0.3325.181

Date: September 16, 2021 08:39PM
Zoidberg
Our sponsor has more than a few used/refurbished/cutout Macs available for under $500: [eshop.macsales.com]

Heh, this, and several other iMacs were purchased from our sponser. I think this one I'm having trouble with was from an OWC garage sale. It sounded in really rough condition by the description, but was at a solid low price. I grabbed it for the light load of my home office and didn't know what to expect.

The machine turned out to be flawless, except for one stuck pixel in the upper left corner that was barely noticeable.

I chalk this one up as one of the better deals I've got over the years. OWC = smiley-score010

Date: September 16, 2021 08:54PM
Rick-o
mattkime

OS 10.9.5

Safari 9.1.3

Chrome 65.0.3325.181

Update to El Capitan (10.11) and the latest browsers that it can run and you're probably done. An SSD or more RAM might make it more enjoyable.

Edit: Before doing any of that download and try FireFox 78.14.0esr and see if that site works. It's the newest supported browser that runs on 10.9.5.

[www.mozilla.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 08:58PM by GGD.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 16, 2021 11:16PM
That is just too darn old IMHO. If GGD's easy fix doesn't work, I'd sell it on craigslist for $50 or so and buy something substantially newer. If budget is an issue, my craigslist shows some fairly reasonable circa 2013 machines for only a couple of hundred bucks (though I'd strongly suggest going substantially newer than that if you can swing it). My wife has the same issue...she clings to her 2010 core duo despite its incompatibility with numerous things because she "likes it" and because it comes with free IT support (me).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 17, 2021 06:19AM
Rick-O,

That explains quite a bit. If you can get it working via a software fix, great. Otherwise, it's time to dump the machine. Don't even consider spending a dime on it. Waste of money. Purchase a 2015 Macbook Pro or iMac and call it done. They'll run Mojave (for 32 bit compatibility), Catalina and, I believe, Big Sur. If 32 bit compatibility is irrelevant, consider biting the built and purchase an M1 machine and call it done.

Robert
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 17, 2021 06:36AM
OWC is selling the late 2012 Mac Mini with 2.5 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM and 500 GB hard drive for $179.00 at OWC. This computer will run Catalina OSX 10.15.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 17, 2021 09:38AM
This is easy, I use 3x 2009 Macs, the same age as yours. Like GGD says, update to OS 10.11.6, it is supported on your machine. Then install the current version of Firefox or Chrome.

And you're set.
Date: September 17, 2021 02:17PM
GGD
Rick-o
mattkime

OS 10.9.5

Safari 9.1.3

Chrome 65.0.3325.181

Update to El Capitan (10.11) and the latest browsers that it can run and you're probably done. An SSD or more RAM might make it more enjoyable.

Edit: Before doing any of that download and try FireFox 78.14.0esr and see if that site works. It's the newest supported browser that runs on 10.9.5.

[www.mozilla.org]

Success! Firefox 78.14.0 ESR installed and both Chase and C.U. accounts are now accessible with OS 10.9.5!

Thanks so much GGD, this was the solution I was looking for. Now I can kick the can down the street to deal with this at a later date. New iron is in my future, (love the new iMacs) but now I'm able to do my banking without further delays.

Also, thanks to all that participated in this thread. You all gave me some pretty good advice. Again, thanks.

Date: September 17, 2021 03:42PM
Rick-o
Success! Firefox 78.14.0 ESR installed and both Chase and C.U. accounts are now accessible with OS 10.9.5!

Thanks so much GGD, this was the solution I was looking for. Now I can kick the can down the street to deal with this at a later date. New iron is in my future, (love the new iMacs) but now I'm able to do my banking without further delays.

Also, thanks to all that participated in this thread. You all gave me some pretty good advice. Again, thanks.

"Never put off until tomorrow that which can be put off until the day after"

Glad it worked, there are still a few more monthly releases of the 78 ESR builds remaining and then support for that ends too, and your ticking time bomb starts getting louder but you still might have a couple of years. Even when you upgrade to 10.11.6 78ESR is the latest FireFox it supports, but you can run newer Chrome releases. After that DosDude1 might get you to an OS that supports newer browsers.

Websites and their browser requirements are really the thing that's forcing obsolescence on old hardware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020