advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ISO: Accurately sized archival print.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 16, 2021 11:07PM
Follow up to previous thread a ways down....

I'd like a decent archival quality print, but also a print that is true to size!

Walgreens print is true to size, but Costco print is (noticeably) better looking...., though its sizing is off both vertically and horizontally....., and oddly enough, it's stretched more %-wise horizontally than vertically, so a straight % correction won't work. Costco uses Dry Creek Photo, which has many labs across the country, and according to their customer service, there's no guarantee you'll get the same lab for each submission. The prints I just got came from South Carolina, and if I correct for what just showed up, there's no assurance of getting a proper result on a redux (from another state). Additionally, Dry Creek's web info lists multiple varieties of different types of hardware that may be used in their labs.

Costco/Dry Creek's max resolution is 300dpi, so that's what I submitted, and selected "No cropping". For a 12" X 18" print, I submitted an image sized 3600 X 5400 pixels for an image w/ ample white space around the subject which is ~9.75" X 13.75". That includes ~0.25" of bleed all around the desired 9.25" X 13.25" final subject under the matting. In the margins, I even included some thick, light gray bars marked with, and spaced for those final dimensions, that were pixel perfectly sized relative to the overall, supposed-to-be-uncropped, print.

I was gonna resubmit like three slightly different resized images, and hope that one would work, since Costco offered a redo based on the three original prints. Now I'm thinking it might be wiser to try to find something local, unless I can be assured that I can get a print that is accurately sized relative to native pixel dimensions. FWIW, I'm making a background to put behind an animation cel, so it has to be accurate. Longevity, AND accurate sizing are paramount. Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ISO: Accurately sized archival print.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 17, 2021 06:11AM
Try a professional photo lab. Try Dale Labs in Hollywood Florida.
Re: ISO: Accurately sized archival print.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 17, 2021 07:29AM
Try Printique. They're more targeted toward pros, at least compared to Costco and Walgreens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020