advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
bolting for the door?!.....new warning about the Chevy Bolt.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 17, 2021 04:37PM
......don't park too close to other cars, just in case of fire......

GM advising some Bolt EV owners to park 50 feet away from other cars in case of fire

GM is advising some Chevrolet Bolt owners to not park their electric cars within 50 feet of other vehicles to reduce the risk of a potential fire spreading to other cars and trucks.

The warning follows GM recalling more than 140,000 of the EVs due to the risk of batteries spontaneously catching fire.

The recall is expected to cost $1.8 billion, some of which the company plans to get from its battery supplier, LG Chem, which produced the defective batteries.

.... General Motors is advising some Chevrolet Bolt owners to not park their electric cars within 50 feet of other vehicles to reduce the risk of a potential fire spreading to nearby cars and trucks.

The warning follows the Detroit automaker recalling more than 140,000 of the EVs produced since 2016 due to the risk of batteries spontaneously catching fire from "two rare manufacturing defects."

GM has confirmed fires in at least 12 vehicles, but more continue to be reported. At least one of the recalled vehicles reportedly caught fire and spread to a Maserati and Hyundai in Sacramento, California.

The parking advice is being given to customers that call into the company's call center about parking their recalled vehicles in parking lots or structures, according to GM spokesman Dan Flores. That's different from previous warnings involving parking the vehicle outside, not charging it unattended overnight and changing the car's charging settings that were issued to all owners.

"In an effort to reduce potential damage to structures and nearby vehicles in the rare event of a potential fire, we recommend parking on the top floor or on an open-air deck and park 50 feet or more away from another vehicle," Flores said in an email.

The updated parking guidance was first reported by Bloomberg News.

The recall is expected to cost $1.8 billion, some of which the company plans to get from its battery supplier, LG Chem, which produced the defective batteries in South Korea and Michigan.

GM has said it is working with LG to rectify the issues and increase production of the new modules for the potentially defective battery packs. It will notify customers when replacement parts are ready.

from a........distance.........?!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 04:39PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: bolting for the door?!.....new warning about the Chevy Bolt.......
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 17, 2021 04:52PM
That "announcement" was completely unofficial. It started with a random person claiming it on Facebook. Flores then mentioned it on some interview, and then he was quoted as Chevrolet spokesperson Dan Flores suggests parking 50 feet away from other vehicles. That's what some call center people are now taking as corporate talking points.

This is bad reporting.

I received my official recall letter yesterday...no mention of the 50 foot rule. When I called the EV Concierge and asked for the documentation of the 50 foot rule, they had nothing but "heard on the news".

I will continue to follow the official guidelines...charge to only 90% and keep charged at least 30%. I don't charge overnight, but I do park in the garage, as leaving it outdoors invites animals to make nests in vehicles, leading to greater dangers.

Meanwhile, over 150 vehicle fires daily in the US which are not Bolt EV's sad smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 04:54PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 17, 2021 05:58PM
“In an effort to reduce potential damage to structures and nearby vehicles in the rare event of a potential fire, we recommend parking on the top floor or on an open-air deck and park 50 feet or more away from another vehicle,” Flores said in an email.

is this Dan Flores a GM spokesperson, and has anyone seen this email?
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 17, 2021 06:20PM

GM is advising some Chevrolet Bolt owners to not park their electric cars within 50 feet of other vehicles to reduce the risk of a potential fire spreading to other cars and trucks.

Bolt, now with asbestos interior.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: September 17, 2021 08:52PM
confused smiley What has me wondering is why Hyundai so secretively recalled the Kona EV.
Same battery manufacturer, (LG) same size. Most don't even know Hyundai was recalling.
I assume that GM is erring on the side of caution, hoping that it eventually it turns into a positive
PR statement that Hey, we took care of all this for you.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: September 18, 2021 12:02AM
I have a 2018 Bolt that self-reported to GM that my battery detected an issue and they offered to replace the vehicle or buy it back in July, but now they've been stonewalling me since then. GM has eroded any goodwill I had toward them.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 18, 2021 09:56AM
The Bolt story is the nightmare that EVs didn’t need.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 18, 2021 02:26PM
No similar problem with the Chevy Volt, Maybe they should have continued to make the Volt.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 18, 2021 02:47PM
Maybe they should have continued to make the Volt.

I really wish they had.

Everything about the Volt intrigued me, and if it stayed in production, that would have increased my chances of getting in when I was the time was right for me.

I sad the same thing about the Crown Vic but missed that boat completely.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 18, 2021 03:59PM
RAMd®d

I really wish they had.

Everything about the Volt intrigued me, and if it stayed in production, that would have increased my chances of getting in when I was the time was right for me.

I sad the same thing about the Crown Vic but missed that boat completely.

I’d they still made new Volts, we would be shopping for one. We enjoy our 2017, and it may go to the son as his main car in the next year or two.

Instead, I’ll be looking at either used Volt or upscaling in cost to a new full EV. But won’t be a Bolt!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 18, 2021 05:36PM
Forrest
No similar problem with the Chevy Volt, Maybe they should have continued to make the Volt.

This ^^^

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 18, 2021 06:06PM
Hyundai didn’t recall quietly. They recalled EVERY EV and replaced every battery at the outset. They realized there was a significant issue straight away. GM tried everything but replacing the battery first. My concern is what did Huyandai use to replace the batteries? Same thing form the same manufacturer? That won’t help anything. .

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: September 18, 2021 10:24PM
sekker
RAMd®d

Instead, I’ll be looking at either used Volt or upscaling in cost to a new full EV. But won’t be a Bolt!
\

Thinking that LG will not be making the batteries for GM by then.
The Bolt is most likely done after 2023 anyway, GM's new EV architecture platform is trickling out with the 2022 model year. GM said early in 2021 that the Bolt is not moving over to the new platform.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 18, 2021 11:43PM
If Chevy isn't going to make a new Volt, whywon't another manufacturer do so? It's the solution to the dreaded "range anxiety" and just makes a ton of sense.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 19, 2021 01:11PM
The mention of range anxiety reminded me that I had heard of "range extenders" for EVs. Couldn't find the exact reference but did run across this interesting PDF:

[www.mdpi.com]

=wr=
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 19, 2021 10:07PM
mrbigstuff
If Chevy isn't going to make a new Volt, whywon't another manufacturer do so? It's the solution to the dreaded "range anxiety" and just makes a ton of sense.

BMW has an i3 with range extender, I didn't look now but a few years ago when I looked I think it had a small gas tank (2 maybe 3 gallons)

[www.bmwusa.com]
Date: September 19, 2021 11:31PM
mrbigstuff

Toyota makes a true PHEV Prius - only, they’ve NEVER advertised and it’s hard to find one in stock even before COVID. I’m shocked they made it since they are obviously not committed to the vehicle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020