advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Troubleshooting Harmony Hub
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 17, 2021 11:56PM
Lots of people online are complaining that their Harmony Hub devices either stop working at least daily, or have huge delays of anywhere from a couple of minutes to tens of minutes before their commands execute. Both issues are addressable with a reboot. Not hitting everyone (yet). Also seems to have started right about the time that Logitech announced that they were going to stop making remotes and promised to maintain the servers.

Bit me over the last two weeks, getting worse every day to the point where I set up a timer to power the device off/on every hour. But the problem was growing. Tonight, the Harmony Hub stopped working just 5 minutes after a reboot. The iOS app seemed to connect to the hub, but tapping an "activity" would just leave the app hanging while tried and failed to send the commands.

It's been a busy couple of weeks so I haven't tried any real troubleshooting until tonight. After repeated attempts to troubleshoot in the iOS App following their online help were fruitless, I tried to reset the hub and set it up from scratch and the app then reported that it was unable to contact the Harmony servers to complete setup.

I was able to restore it via the ancient (2014) MyHarmony Mac app and a direct USB connection to my Mac. (Micro USB to USB-A.) I tried this after seeing advice to try the PC app on their old support forums from, when they had server problems a few years ago. The app is 32-bit so will not run on modern Macs or under any macOS since 10.14 "Mojave."

The Mac app had no problem locating their servers during setup where the iOS app continuously failed. And once the hub was operational again, the iOS app reconnected seamlessly.

The box has been working normally for the last couple of hours, so I'm hopeful that this fix will last awhile... Maybe long enough for me to find a solid replacement or at least find/program an old-fashioned universal IR remote.

Anyway, if/when your Harmony remote/hub flakes out, the same fix may -- at least temporarily -- get it going again for you if you have a pre-Catalina OS: Press the button on the back to put it into pairing mode and then use the Harmony Setup options in the iOS app to try and set it up as a new device. When that inevitably fails, connect it to your Mac via USB and re-sync from the Mac. Note that this is not without some risk of bricking the (already malfunctioning) device.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Troubleshooting Harmony Hub
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 18, 2021 04:16PM
I hold my breath everytimre my hub slows down. I've yet to find a RF remote that rebroadcasts IR like the Harmony.
my setup is behind a solid wall, so at some point I will be in trouble.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: September 18, 2021 05:34PM
I gave up on my Harmony One / Hub about a month back after similar issues. At that time, I had to reboot the hub weekly.

But along with giving up on the Harmony, we also gave up on our OTA TiVo Roamio. Probably close to 20 years with TiVo, sigh. We're not big on sports, and the broadcast channel programming is typically lower quality than we get with streaming.

At this point, we've 100% streaming with our Apple TV 4k. The new Apple TV remote is great & via HDMI-CEC controls the TV & Receiver. Life is much simpler, except having to choose which App to stream from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 05:36PM by bhaveshp.
Date: September 18, 2021 06:57PM
Turns out that it was a temporary fix. Was working right up until just a few minutes ago, then flaked out again. Same symptoms.

The timer that I put on the Harmony Hub has Alexa support, so for now I'm just telling Alexa to turn it off and on again when necessary. Takes a minute or so each time to reboot it, but at least I don't have to desk-dive every time.

I'm setting up a Sofabaton U1 to test as a replacement. Amazon had a "gold box" on it recently.

Sofabaton has a Kickstarter for a remote with Alexa integration like the Harmony Hub, but they're very clear that the advanced features are still in early testing so I'm not ready to jump on one of those.

Edit: So far, the Sofabaton is a dream to program in broad strokes, but has no way that I can see in the app to assign codes not on a basic remote control. For example, the Harmony could instruct my TV to jump to a specific input, but this is a hidden feature on the TV and it's not an option in the Sofabaton app.

However, since the Harmony can still be coaxed into working, I was able to tell the Sofabaton to "learn" those codes (holding the remote up to the IR blaster) which I could then use for macros! Add a 1.5s delay between turning on the TV and switching inputs and Bob's yer uncle!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 08:09PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 19, 2021 05:04AM
Sarcany
Sofabaton has a Kickstarter for a remote with Alexa integration like the Harmony Hub, but they're very clear that the advanced features are still in early testing so I'm not ready to jump on one of those.

I went ahead and jumped this as my remote is getting long in the tooth. I really wanted to get a Harmony but as they're ending their remotes, I went looking for something else. These guys are literally the only game in town. That I could find, and that aren't part of some dealer installed automation system.

Date: September 19, 2021 12:17PM
bazookaman
Sarcany

I went ahead and jumped this as my remote is getting long in the tooth. I really wanted to get a Harmony but as they're ending their remotes, I went looking for something else. These guys are literally the only game in town. That I could find, and that aren't part of some dealer installed automation system.

Dammit you made me revisit it and now I'm down a hundred bucks!! smiling smiley

I decided to pick it up for the Alexa support. I may use the U1 for everything else as there's no number pad on the X1 remote.

There are $40 IR boxes on Amazon that work via Alexa, but the X1 has IR/BT/WiFi and that's killer for $100 bucks if it works.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020