advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Your password has been changed
Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 18, 2021 03:21PM
I received 2 emails from the German grocery store Lidl that said that 1. I had updated my password and 2. email validation required

I didn't click on any links in these emails. I don't have a Lidl account but the email address they used is an iCloud one that I had created a long time ago. I tested the email by sending something to my usual email and I did receive it.

I tried looking around my iCloud account for this email but I can't find it listed. Any suggestions on how to find it and disable it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Your password has been changed
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 18, 2021 03:50PM
Have you checked Sytem Preferences>General>Passwords on an iOS device OR Keychain Access App on a Mac? Either should show you the passwords stored on said device.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 18, 2021 03:53PM
100% phishing email... nothing you can really do.

You will prob never seen another one again -- its totally random.

Same as when I get an email saying my Well Fargo account has been compromised. Only problem, I've never banked there. Just like you have never been to that market. *However* someone else that gets the same email, might. So they click on the link...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 18, 2021 04:02PM
Do you have a German name?

Happens to me all the time, I use first.last@gmail.com and my names are common in Romania. People use their email to sing up for banking, dating sites, Facebook, etc. I guess they use variation of that email, perhaps last.first (a very common way to address someone over there) or they add DOB to the name but they probably forgot and enter my email. I just ignore it. I even get links to download banking statements, LOL.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 18, 2021 04:27PM
OK. Thanks all. I guess it felt like it was more than just a phishing thing. I'll ignore it.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 18, 2021 04:51PM
I keep getting emails saying someone tried to login to my facebook account. I don't have a facebook account.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 18, 2021 04:53PM
Apple (iCloud) Mail accounts are typically based on Apple IDs. I though I remember "Apple finally allowing merging or linking Apple IDs, but I can't find anything after a cursory search.

abevilac
I received 2 emails from the German grocery store Lidl that said that 1. I had updated my password and 2. email validation required

I didn't click on any links in these emails. I don't have a Lidl account but the email address they used is an iCloud one that I had created a long time ago. I tested the email by sending something to my usual email and I did receive it.

I tried looking around my iCloud account for this email but I can't find it listed. Any suggestions on how to find it and disable it?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 18, 2021 05:02PM
rz
I keep getting emails saying someone tried to login to my facebook account. I don't have a facebook account.

That would be a pretty common thing for someone to put in a phishing email since so many people have a FB account.

It sounds to the target like it's real information.

I got one of those pay up in bitcoin scams recently. The cyber criminal wrote that he had recorded me with my computer's camera.

Problem is - my Mini doesn't have a camera...devil smiley But it's a safe assumption that most users do have a camera.

Above all else, they try to make it appear that they have something of value, without getting too specific, because then, the email would only match a small number of targets.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 18, 2021 05:17PM
Somebody just pumps out phishing emails to different names, citing different dire situations.

For a long time I got emails that my BofA account was frozen, hacked, breach, closed, needs to be updated, blah buh blah blah blah.

I've never had a BofA account.

For awhile, phishermen didn't seem to know about BBC.

I'd get a fauxmail addressed to me, along with 12 different variations of my name, like something out of a bad version of the Telephone game.

It was clear that somebody either got a list of name from somebody or got one good email name and was trying variations.

You could change your password for a little reassurance, but as there was no actual problem, this won't affect whether or not you get more of the same.

Random, as mentioned, and there's no shortage of people with time on their hands and larceny in their hearts.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 18, 2021 05:26PM
If the email was in German, it was legit.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 18, 2021 05:51PM
Always a good idea to hover over the link they want you to visit and see what it resolves to. Usually that will instantly answer the question of legitimacy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 323
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020