advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stand-alone version of Microsoft Office for M1 Mac?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 19, 2021 03:53PM
My sister is buying a MacBook Air M1 8/256. She wants the Microsoft Office product but does not want to pay for the subscription, rather she prefers a one-time purchase. She does not want to use the free online version. I just spent an hour trying to figure out what is a compatible version with the M1 or even if it exists. She is using it for home use and is not a student. Any suggestions?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 04:30PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Microsoft Office for M1 Mac?
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 19, 2021 03:56PM
Welcome to the new model. Crap ton of processing power but renting software. Sucks.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 19, 2021 04:09PM
Speedy,

From what I understand, older versions of Office will work as long as you can activate the license. It just might not run natively. She can also purchase something like the Ms Office Home and Student edition:

[verviewtab" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.microsoft.com]

It doesn't require a subscription.

Another option is to try an alternative like LibreOffice:

[www.libreoffice.org]

LibreOffice might do the job well enough that she won't need to purchase MS Office. She'll just have to deal with converting to and from MS Office's native file format and some possible compatibility problems. It all depends on what she'll be doing with the apps.

Robert
Date: September 19, 2021 04:13PM
She is computer illiterate. She wants a stand-alone version. It appears Microsoft will be releasing a stand-alone version on October 5 that is for the M1. She says she can wait until then.

[www.zdnet.com]

“Microsoft's other non-subscription, next-generation Office release, known as Office 2021, which Microsoft is positioning as its consumer-focused, non-subscription release, will be available on October 5, officials said today. That date is no coincidence. Microsoft will be launching Windows 11 on October 5. Officials said more details about Office 2021 would be available at that time. So far, Microsoft officials have shared that Office 2021 will be limited to use on a single PC or Mac. They've also said previously that the pricing of the Office 2021 SKU won't change from the current Office perpetual SKU pricing.”

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 04:24PM by Speedy.
Re: Stand-alone version of Microsoft Office for M1 Mac?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 19, 2021 05:05PM
Honestly, I dunno what "home use", means -- Office is Word, Excel, Powerpoint -- not sure how any of those are "home use"?

Im with Robert, Libre Office. Free. Or even google docs. both more than capable for writing letters, spreadsheets and slideshows.

And Office 2019 works fine with M1s. $125 I think?

I guess the biggest issue is sharing files with other Office users... but again, assuming "home" use, that's not a thing?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 19, 2021 05:47PM
I believe that 2016 (and 2019) Office can be updated to run on M1 Macs.
Date: September 19, 2021 06:07PM
Thanks all, she said she will wait until October 5 to buy the 2021 version.

According to this page the 2019 stand-alone version is Intel only:

[www.microsoft.com]

Date: September 19, 2021 06:27PM
Speedy
Thanks all, she said she will wait until October 5 to buy the 2021 version.
According to this page the 2019 stand-alone version is Intel only:
[www.microsoft.com]

Im not sure you guys are understanding "intel" part -- its Intel is the "minimum"

And she could download Libre office *right now*

She shoudl shop carefully... 8/256 MBAs were (still are?) $850 at amazon recently. hell of a deal.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 19, 2021 06:57PM
Does she work? Many companies have a deal with Microsoft to get office for around $20 for home use.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 19, 2021 07:24PM
Who wants to bet me the new standalone version for the M1 is a complete dumpster fire? Remember Office for Mac 2001???
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 19, 2021 07:49PM
2019 Word, Excel and Powerpoint are running on my M1 Mini.

Can't really tell you much more, since I don't use them. But they do launch and appear to run.
Date: September 19, 2021 08:04PM
pdq

This.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2021 08:17PM
jdc
pdq

This.

Same here.

It is what it is.
Date: September 19, 2021 10:49PM
Thanks for the follow up! I told her about Libre Office but she wants to spend her money.

Date: September 19, 2021 11:54PM
Speedy
Thanks for the follow up! I told her about Libre Office but she wants to spend her money.

You did your due diligence. I still wonder how much actual "use" a person needs full Office for. My kids use Google Docs, it does everything. Writing, slideshows and basics drawing tools.

Even tho I work with peeps all over the USA, thankfully I haven't ever had an issue with Office files and LO. I haven't owned a copy of Office since Office 2001. ;)

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 19, 2021 11:55PM
Speedy

Her computer will come with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Suggest she use them.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 20, 2021 12:39AM
Yes to all that (I agree with you guys!), BUT Speedy says that she’s computer illiterate; probably, but I don’t know for sure, she’s resistant to learning new software so it’ll be Office or nothing. She’s made up her mind that she wants new, so that’ll be it.

I think she should buy now, or is she waiting to see if there will be another “event” this fall for new iron? Also, if Office 2019 works on M1 Mac get it. The next version of Office is guaranteed to be frustrating as things you are used to being in one place will be moved to somewhere else, or removed entirely. ‘Tis the way of Microsoft.
Date: September 20, 2021 03:30AM
Diana
Yes to all that (I agree with you guys!), BUT Speedy says that she’s computer illiterate; probably, but I don’t know for sure, she’s resistant to learning new software so it’ll be Office or nothing. She’s made up her mind that she wants new, so that’ll be it.

I think she should buy now, or is she waiting to see if there will be another “event” this fall for new iron? Also, if Office 2019 works on M1 Mac get it. The next version of Office is guaranteed to be frustrating as things you are used to being in one place will be moved to somewhere else, or removed entirely. ‘Tis the way of Microsoft.

She got an M1 Air from Costco.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 20, 2021 08:44AM
In case you may have forgotten, she will need a 64-bit version of whatever she gets.smiley-signs003

Speedy
My sister is buying a MacBook Air M1 8/256. She wants the Microsoft Office product but does not want to pay for the subscription, rather she prefers a one-time purchase. She does not want to use the free online version. I just spent an hour trying to figure out what is a compatible version with the M1 or even if it exists. She is using it for home use and is not a student. Any suggestions?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: September 20, 2021 09:15AM
modelamac
In case you may have forgotten, she will need a 64-bit version of whatever she gets.smiley-signs003

Speedy

thumbs up

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 20, 2021 09:33AM
A single perpetual license of Office 2019 for $149 seems pricey to me.

I think I paid $149 for Office 2011 that came with 3 perpetual licenses.

M$ seems intent on getting rid of the home user as a customer.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 20, 2021 06:45PM
freeradical
A single perpetual license of Office 2019 for $149 seems pricey to me.

I think I paid $149 for Office 2011 that came with 3 perpetual licenses.

M$ seems intent on getting rid of the home user as a customer.

They want to force the home user to the cloud. That’s where the golden rainbow of recurring revenue is, don’t ya know?!

I do not have office installed on my personal machines. Pages, keynote and numbers reads any home business office files someone else would send me just fine.

I use office for work because they make me use office. It’s their money.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 20, 2021 09:42PM
Free,

There are deals out there for MS Office (perpetual). Just a matter of finding them. $150 for a single license ain't cheap but it's less expensive than a subscription over the long term and if you need the suite, it's well worth the bucks. There are times when the alternatives just don't cut it. And, having to convert files to and from the Microsoft formats definitely gets tiresome. I have the real suite and definitely don't regret paying the bucks for it for those two reasons alone.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020