advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Photo metadata Q
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 20, 2021 02:35PM
I know if I take a photo and Command + I gives me some basic info on a photo... but is there a simple way to find out if a photo has more metadata command + isnt telling me?

I understand that many photos might not have any, but looking for a shortcut to check...

TIA

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Photo metadata Q
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 20, 2021 02:41PM
Not sure about a really quick way, but open image in Preview and cmd-I to show inspector.

[www.macobserver.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 20, 2021 02:58PM
thanks, too many steps =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 20, 2021 07:13PM
You could check against a folder of images (which could be just one image in a folder) with shell commands. Edit: For clarity, this would be run in Script Editor.

do shell script "mdfind -onlyin " & (choose folder)'s POSIX path's quoted form & " -0 kind:image | xargs -0 mdls "

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2021 07:31PM by Marc Anthony.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 20, 2021 09:18PM
Simple and conclusive won't go together because the supplied Apple software (Preview, Finder, Photos etc) will never READ the myriad of metadata files out there.

I use MetaImage but it also not the last word on metadata. Take a look at the old ExifTool app for an idea of the possible types if fields out there.

And of course various editors or library apps such as Lightroom will have their own capabilities for reading/writing.

The main problem is that even for data we would not consider arcane such as camera or lens info, location info, there are different fields app X might ignore if app Y wrote the metadata. And then you upload to a photo sharing service and learn the site picks up on some other field neither apps X or Y can write. That's a special kind of fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020