advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Attention: Entomologists! Identification, please...
Posted by: DP
Date: September 20, 2021 07:35PM
I was out taking advantage of the fabulous weather of the past week and I saw this crawling up and the brick next to my side door. My friend said it was a Yellow-Jacket queen. I've never seen this insect before and I thought, OK, that might make sense. But when I looked at images of YJ queens, they don't look like this.

So, what is this? The creature is about two inches (have at it, Rhonnie!) long and, while that thing sticking out of it's abdomen looks positively deadly, I don't think it's a stinger. It's too blunt at the end:

And if you look hard, there's a very thin black "proboscis" emanating from the middle underside of the abdomen that, as I watched it, seemed to be probing into the brick:

What is this critter? Enquiring minds want to know-especially so I can say, "I, for one, welcome our..."

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Attention: Entomologists! Identification, please...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 20, 2021 07:38PM
Doesn't matter. KILL IT.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 20, 2021 07:42PM
Horntail wasp. It uses its ovipositor to drill into soft wood to lay eggs. The menacing "stinger" is actually a sheath to protect the delicate ovipositor, a black threadlike structure.

Harmless. Might be a nuisance if you bring wood into the house at just the wrong time, and the adult insects emerge after having been larva in the wood.'

Just so happens I encountered one of these for the first time last week, slowly crawling on a tree trunk, searching for tender spots with its ovipositor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2021 07:43PM by Acer.
Date: September 20, 2021 07:42PM
grinning smiley

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: September 20, 2021 07:51PM
Cool! From online:

Horntails tunnel as larvae in dead, dying or recently-felled trees. The female wasp lays her eggs in the wood and the larvae create sawdust packed burrows 1/4 inch in diameter by 1 to 2 feet long. The larvae take 2 to 3 years to develop before the new adult wasps chew out of the wood through 1/4 inch holes.

Horntail wasps emerging into houses through plaster board (sheetrock) come from larvae living in the studs behind the plaster board. Studs that were cut from infested logs can contain horntail larvae that survived the processing. The larvae survived, in part, because the studs were not kiln dried or were inadequately dried. The adult wasps chewing their way out of infested studs also chew through almost any building material used to cover the wood (plaster board or paneling)

Horntail wasps do not bite or sting. Also, they cannot infest lumber after it has been cut so there is no risk of additional generations of horntails in the studs or household furniture. Most horntail wasps will emerge within the first year of construction, though a few may linger and emerge as long as 2 or 3 years after construction.

Date: September 20, 2021 07:52PM
And more:

The giant horntail is a massive sawfly that is also known as the 'giant woodwasp' or 'greater horntail wasp'. A relative of the wasps, the female is black and yellow and has a long, stinger-like tail that is actually her ovipositor, which she uses to lay her eggs into wood, particularly pine. The larvae live in the wood of pine trees, where they spend up to five years developing. Found near pine woods, or places where pine timbers are used.

Date: September 20, 2021 07:55PM
So I can now say,

"I, for one, welcome our Siricidaen overlords..."

Posted by: hal
Date: September 20, 2021 07:56PM
Acer may be correct, but C(-)ris is right!
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 20, 2021 10:26PM
Murder Hornet !?!

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 20, 2021 11:47PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

"The wood wasp ovipositor itself contains two interlocking valves. Each valve is covered with teeth that are backward-facing,[7] with the teeth of one valve catching onto the wood to provide resistance, and the other valve moving forward and taking a slight step. The second valve then catches the wood to provide continued resistance as the first valve moves forward. Thus by quick oscillation, the valves alternate in providing resistance and moving forward, the process itself leads in the ovipositor drilling almost an inch into the sapwood with minimal force being applied and without the ovipositor buckling or breaking.

"Researchers and scientists inspired by this system have created a prototype neurosurgical probe that works on the same principle."
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 21, 2021 04:32AM
Wags
Murder Hornet !?!

That's real?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 21, 2021 09:11AM
DP
Cool! From online:

Horntail wasps emerging into houses through plaster board (sheetrock) come from larvae living in the studs behind the plaster board. Studs that were cut from infested logs can contain horntail larvae that survived the processing. The larvae survived, in part, because the studs were not kiln dried or were inadequately dried. The adult wasps chewing their way out of infested studs also chew through almost any building material used to cover the wood (plaster board or paneling)

COOL????! This is the stuff of nightmares! angry smiley Kill it with FIRE!!!!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 21, 2021 04:18PM
vision63
Wags
Murder Hornet !?!

That's real?

Nope, it's a model. A good model to be sure, but the molded translucent plastic wings and the lack of a Fresnel effect in the individual lenses of the compound eyes give it away.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2021 04:19PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020