advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Measles is making a big comeback
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 21, 2021 12:01PM
I didn't realize the numbers are as high as they are.

The highly contagious measles virus continues to spread around the globe. In 2018, cases surged to an estimated 10 million worldwide, with 140,000 deaths, a 58% increase since 2016. In rich countries, scattered measles outbreaks are fuelled by people refusing to vaccinate their children. But in poor countries, the problems are health systems so broken and underfunded that it is nigh-on impossible to deliver the vaccine to people who need it. The DRC’s flood of cases shows why measles will keep flaring up despite efforts to control it. And the situation will only worsen with the COVID-19 pandemic: more than 20 countries have already suspended measles vaccination campaigns as healthcare workers scramble to deal with coronavirus

In poor countries, measles is a killer, especially in combination with malnutrition and vitamin A deficiency. Estimates are uncertain, but the death rate in developing countries hovers around 3–6%, and it can spike as high as 30% in the worst outbreaks, according to the WHO. Its victims often die of complications including pneumonia or diarrhoea and dehydration. Those who recover can be left with permanent disabilities, including blindness, hearing loss and brain damage. The virus also impairs the immune system for months or years after infection, creating “immune amnesia” that leaves children vulnerable to other infections.

The virus is so contagious that few unvaccinated people who come into contact with it are spared its effects. Scientists define infectiousness using the ‘reproduction number’ — how many people, on average, would be infected by a single person with the virus, in a population that has no immunity. For Ebola, that number is estimated at 1.5–2.5. The new coronavirus terrifying the world seems to be somewhere between 2 and 3. Measles tops the charts with a reproduction number of 12–18, which makes it the most contagious virus known. You don’t need to be in the same room as an infected person to catch the virus — it is spread by respiratory droplets that can linger in the air for hours.

[www.nature.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Measles is making a big comeback
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 21, 2021 12:18PM
Free,

New York got hit by an outbreak in 2018-2019. The vast majority of those who got nailed were unvaccinated. Surprise. Surprise.

[www.contagionlive.com]

People were still fighting tooth and nail to be exempt from vaccination mandates even in the midst of those outbreaks. And the vaccine(s) involved have been around since the 1960s.

Robert
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 21, 2021 12:20PM
I had the regular measles when I was about five. I got very sick. I had a temp of 104° before the fever finally broke.
I had rubella a few year after that. This was before there was an MMR vaccine. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 21, 2021 12:29PM
We're predisposed to fear of what we cannot see, so it's easy to fear cures more than diseases. We can thank Andrew Wakefield for our current turn in the barrel.

Children need parents. Adults apparently do as well.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 21, 2021 12:42PM
The measles 'endemic' was clustered on one community who were subjected to ignorant propaganda similar to what we see elsewhere nowadays.
I believe I had posted about it at the time.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 21, 2021 01:01PM
Despite my loathing for Medical Insurance Companies, I'm at the point where I think they should be allowed to deny coverage for any disease for which the sufferer did not get vaccinated (unless there is a medical reason for it).

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2021 01:12PM
....and so are pron'staches......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 21, 2021 01:17PM
raz
Despite my loathing for Medical Insurance Companies, I'm at the point where I think they should be allowed to deny coverage for any disease for which the sufferer did not get vaccinated (unless there is a medical reason for it).

Add tobacco to the list and you got my vote.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 21, 2021 01:20PM
[www.vaccinestoday.eu]

Smallpox has an R0 of 3
Polio has an R0 of 4-6
Mumps has an R0 of 10-12
Chickenpox has an R0 of 10-12
Pertussis has an R0 of 15-17
Measles has an R0 of 16-18

This explains why measles elimination requires such a high level of immunity in the population. WHO and national health experts say two doses of measles-containing vaccines (MMR or MMRV) for 95% of the population are needed to stop the spread of the disease. In the absence of high uptake of the vaccine, even in small pockets of the community, outbreaks will occur.

If you're in an enclosed space with someone contagious with Measles and you aren't vaccinated, odds are you will contract it. Every Measles infection will infect 16-18 more people on average assuming no one is vaccinated.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 21, 2021 01:28PM
I remember getting the MMR again when I was a high school volleyball ref - the county was having an outbreak of measles back then.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 21, 2021 01:29PM
Physicians are split over whether adults generally should have a MMR booster, however, if you were vaccinated prior to 1968 you almost certainly do need a booster as the vaccines back then were less effective.

Immunity is known to wane over time, even for those who had the disease. Ask your doctor for a MMR Titer test if you're wondering... or compare the cost of the test vs getting the vaccine and if the vaccine is considerably cheaper then you might as well just get a booster.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 21, 2021 02:07PM
Sarcany
Physicians are split over whether adults generally should have a MMR booster, however, if you were vaccinated prior to 1968 you almost certainly do need a booster as the vaccines back then were less effective.

Immunity is known to wane over time, even for those who had the disease. Ask your doctor for a MMR Titer test if you're wondering... or compare the cost of the test vs getting the vaccine and if the vaccine is considerably cheaper then you might as well just get a booster.

Definitely before 1968…
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 21, 2021 02:37PM
I'm sure that I go vaccinated for this at least twice. Once when I was kid, and the second time during basic training at Lackland. They basically gave everybody the entire complement of childhood vaccinations except for smallpox again. They didn't trust anybody else's medical records.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 21, 2021 03:06PM
Vax intake of all kinds is gonna take a hit with all the crazed antivaxing going on now. As soon as people discover what tetanus really is, they will DEMAND a vax. That's not a way you want to die.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: September 21, 2021 05:39PM
If you know you've received killed vaccine but not two doses of the live type, you need another valid dose. If you can't find documentation that you received the series, are at higher risk, and it's been several decades since vaccination then it's probably best to just get revaccinated; another dose is astronomically unlikely to hurt you unless you're in the contraindicated group—pregnant, immunocompromised, or previously anaphylactic. This is not to be construed as health advice, but, there's even some limited evidence that recent MMR vaccination might provide some protection against severe COVID, due to immune cells it stimulates.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 21, 2021 06:53PM
Mid 1950s. I was in the second grade. I, as well as MOST of the class, contracted measles, then mumps, then scarlet fever and some of the class got hit by whooping cough just as an added bonus.. The nun basically got a two month vacation. EVERYBODY was promoted at the end of the school year.

Kids were MUCH tougher back then. boink smiley old fogey smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 21, 2021 07:43PM
We had an epidemic of measles in our area a few years ago. Fortunately the antivaxxers hang around each other. Unfortunately, there were deaths.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2021 07:46PM by Speedy.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 21, 2021 08:13PM
I remember getting measles as a child. They got in my eyes and I had to lie in bed with patches over my eyes, listening to television in a fever dream. My siblings all got vaccinated -- and since I am so old that doctors still made house calls, I could hear them in the next room fussing and crying, and like an idiot I was feeling smug that I didn't have to get a needle. Duh.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 21, 2021 08:44PM
$tevie
I remember getting measles as a child. They got in my eyes and I had to lie in bed with patches over my eyes, listening to television in a fever dream. My siblings all got vaccinated -- and since I am so old that doctors still made house calls, I could hear them in the next room fussing and crying, and like an idiot I was feeling smug that I didn't have to get a needle. Duh.

You mean they got vaccinated while you were sick?!

Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 22, 2021 01:49AM
$tevie

I must be a bit older than you. Had measles at a time when the vaccienwasn't available yet. Same for most of my brothers and sisters. But doctors still made house calls. By the time my youngest sister was born to my stepmother I was 19, the measles and a number of other vaccines were given to all young children, and doctors no longer made house calls.
Date: September 22, 2021 06:45AM
....I remember when Beth....caught scarlet fever......

Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 22, 2021 03:02PM
AllGold
$tevie

You mean they got vaccinated while you were sick?!
Yes. And I thought I had the better end of that deal. Being a little child and all.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 22, 2021 03:35PM
A couple months before COVID hit, I asked my doctor about "boosters" for the common things... (MMR, Tdap, etc), since I both work at a school where this stuff would go around (little did I know COVID was coming...), and because I hope to travel a bit more in the next decade.

The main reason was that any records of my childhood vaccinations are LONG since gone, since it was the70's, and none of those records are digitized around here... even if the paper copies still exist.

I inquired about just getting boosters/revaccinated, since my insurance covers those.
She thought the right course was to get antibody tests to see if they were needed.
I went along with it...
The vaccinations would have cost me nothing.
The antibody tests cost me $400 out of pocket (insurance picked up less than half).

The good news is, I've still got immunity to Measels, Mumps, Pertussis, and I forget which others... but, I'm good.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 23, 2021 07:58AM
......mom jeans are coming back too.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020