The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Unexpected consequence of updating to ipadOS 15 on my iPad Mini 5
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 23, 2021 06:49AM
Unexpected consequence of updating to ipadOS 15 on my iPad Mini 5

Hi everyone,

I updated to ipadOS 15 on my iPad Mini 5 and was hit by a couple of unexpected consequences, one of which is a major annoyance.

The first is Apple decided I needed a couple of my home screen and added them without my permission. Other apps got moved to different screens. Not cool. I had my home screen configured exactly how I wanted it and the addition of the widgets skewed it significantly. Fortunately, it was easy enough to remove the widgets and move apps back to where I wanted them. I should’n’t have had to do this though.

The bigger issue is Apple changed the size of the icons. Everything is a bit smaller now and adjusting the setting to increase the size of the icons doesn’t make much of a difference at all. The icons increase in size just a small amount. I’ve yet to find a setting that further increases the size. My eyes aren’t happy with this at all.

I’d revert to iOS 14 but the issues aren’t insurmountable. I solved the widget issue easily. I can get used to the new size of the icons. It’ll just take a bit of time.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unexpected consequence of updating to ipadOS 15 on my iPad Mini 5
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 07:44AM
Robert M, thanks. I haven’t yet installed the upgrade and my eyes aren’t that happy with small icons so I’ll watch this thread to see if there is a solution posted.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 23, 2021 08:03AM
The bigger issue is Apple changed the size of the icons. Everything is a bit smaller now and adjusting the setting to increase the size of the icons doesn’t make much of a difference at all. The icons increase in size just a small amount. I’ve yet to find a setting that further increases the size. My eyes aren’t happy with this at all.

Tell me more about this (just kidding). Some Apple TV Apps have terrible design, it makes reading the movie titles almost impossible from the couch. I am sorry to hear that similar visibility/readability issues are now also on iOS. It sucks. The issue is that kids fresh out of college make these designs and somehow they slip past senior management at Apple. Do that all have perfect vision? WTF?
Date: September 23, 2021 08:28AM
Space,

The design of the icons is the same. Nothing wrong with the design. Apple just reduced the size of them screen and the larger icon size option doesn't increase the size enough to make a difference. That's the problem. I need the icons back to their previous size and/or the option to increase the size of them further.

Robert
Posted by: flareslow
Date: September 23, 2021 09:03AM
space-time
The issue is that kids fresh out of college make these designs and somehow they slip past senior management at Apple. Do that all have perfect vision? WTF?

That's going to get an "OK Boomer" outta that crowd.:-)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 23, 2021 10:57AM
Saw reports that Airdrop settings have been changed during upgrade. So if you have restricted Airdrop to only your contacts, check that setting to see if it has been changed.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 02:31PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 23, 2021 11:11AM
In Settings>Display & Brightness>Display Zoom, do you have it set to Standard or Zoomed?
Date: September 23, 2021 11:42AM
Mac,

That command set doesn’t exist n my ipad mini. Even if it did, it wouldn’t matter. There wasn't a problem before. Apple created one by changing the standard size of the icons to a smaller size. I shouldn't need to use Zoom or toggle a command to use larger icons to fix what wasn't originally broken. Besides, zoom on an ipad or iphone creates a bigger problem because everything becomes too large.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 05:08PM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020