advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
buh-bye Toyota Tundra V8
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 23, 2021 09:12AM
2022 Tundras will get a 3.5L twin-turbo iForce V6 engines, similar to Ford’s F-150.
The V6 actually has more power than their legendary V8.
According to European on line reports, the V8 is also being dropped from the Land Cruiser line.
Apparently, the march to EV trucks is a little slow @ Toyota.
[www.powernationtv.com]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: buh-bye Toyota Tundra V8
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 23, 2021 10:41AM
MrNoBody
[www.powernationtv.com]

Alex on Autos talked abut Toyota's preference for Hybrids vs Pure Electrics, and worked out the numbers. Turns out at a large scale, the carbon savings is better on Hybrids.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 23, 2021 11:48AM
MrNoBody
2022 Tundras will get a 3.5L twin-turbo iForce V6 engines, similar to Ford’s F-150.
According to European on line reports, the V8 is also being dropped from the Land Cruiser line.
[www.powernationtv.com]

Toyota says "We're focused on being the world's number one automaker." When they do sell all electric, I'm pretty sure they'll be number one at that too. People prefer cars that last a long long time without breaking.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 23, 2021 11:58AM
Rolando
Alex on Autos talked abut Toyota's preference for Hybrids vs Pure Electrics, and worked out the numbers. Turns out at a large scale, the carbon savings is better on Hybrids.

That is nonsense except in areas where electricity is generated by burning coal and also assumes that the massive transition away from carbon-intensive electricity generation is not occurring.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 23, 2021 11:59AM
When it comes to trucks, Toyota is a follower not an innovator. Of course, trucks and innovation are a bit contradictory
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 23, 2021 12:02PM
vision63
MrNoBody
[www.powernationtv.com]

Toyota says "We're focused on being the world's number one automaker." When they do sell all electric, I'm pretty sure they'll be number one at that too. People prefer cars that last a long long time without breaking.

That is basically what Sony said about their DSLRs not having video capabilities for so long. I think it was really because they didn't want to eat their own lunch.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 23, 2021 12:19PM
davester
Rolando

That is nonsense except in areas where electricity is generated by burning coal and also assumes that the massive transition away from carbon-intensive electricity generation is not occurring.

Sounds like Toyota propaganda to me too, davester.

It came to light recently that Toyota is much more vested in a hybrid future than a pure EV one - this sounds like the kind of misinformation the company might feed into the marketplace to garner more support for their position. I'm sad a company like Toyota would engage in deceptive practices like this.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 23, 2021 01:02PM
vision63
A position they gave up to VW in 2018. And Daimler, at #3 is snapping at their heels.
[www.carlogos.org]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 23, 2021 01:07PM
MrNoBody
vision63
A position they gave up to VW in 2018. And Daimler, at #3 is snapping at their heels.
[www.carlogos.org]

I saw that list when I checked. All the other lists I checked has Toyota selling the most vehicles.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 23, 2021 01:21PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davester
Rolando

It came to light recently that Toyota is much more vested in a hybrid future than a pure EV one - this sounds like the kind of misinformation the company might feed into the marketplace to garner more support for their position. I'm sad a company like Toyota would engage in deceptive practices like this.

Sad, but I think you're right. I am researching my next vehicle purchase, and right now I can't find one I like. An all-electric Tundra would be high on the list. Hybrid? While it is "the best of both worlds", it's also the worst of both. I'll probably stick with gas unless I can find a solid electric option.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 23, 2021 01:45PM
Is the NASCAR camping world Truck series going to switch to turbo V6 engines?

I think most hybrids/PHEVs are fine. Once a vehicle gets over 38 - 40 mpg, it takes a really huge step to make a significant improvement in carbon reduction.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 02:14PM
Filliam H. Muffman

I think most hybrids/PHEVs are fine. Once a vehicle gets over 38 - 40 mpg, it takes a really huge step to make a significant improvement in carbon reduction.

In a single use case but not in the aggregate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 02:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davester
Rolando

Yep, Toyota has no great interest in BEVs or PHEVs. But just try to buy a RAV4 Prime, a PHEV, at MSRP from a dealer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 23, 2021 03:20PM
Toyota might end up being the number one (ICE) car maker in the end...

They have decided to stopped innovating.

There is good reason to believe EV drive trains will hit 1 million miles on the regular basis. That will force all sorts of innovation in areas that used to be the domain of Toyota (i.e. long-lasting).

Batteries and the use of steel in the auto bodies is keeping current EVs from going as long as the drive trains.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 23, 2021 06:27PM
N-OS X-tasy!
It came to light recently that Toyota is much more vested in a hybrid future than a pure EV one - this sounds like the kind of misinformation the company might feed into the marketplace to garner more support for their position.

WHAT?!?!? You're telling me a company that has spent decades building and selling ICE vehicles (and AISIN transmissions, regarded as the best and used by many other manufacturers) has vested interest in continuing to do so?

I will find the video if I get a chance.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: September 23, 2021 07:27PM
Rolando
N-OS X-tasy!
It came to light recently that Toyota is much more vested in a hybrid future than a pure EV one - this sounds like the kind of misinformation the company might feed into the marketplace to garner more support for their position.

WHAT?!?!? You're telling me a company that has spent decades building and selling ICE vehicles (and AISIN transmissions, regarded as the best and used by many other manufacturers) has vested interest in continuing to do so?

Plenty of other manufacturers who have also spent decades building and selling ICE vehicles have committed to a 100% EV future.

It is what it is.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 23, 2021 09:39PM
End of an era. Toyota's innovation was V8 reliability. The Big 3 and Nissan all screwed the pooch at various times over the last 20 years in basic reliability with various "enhancements" they didn't get right regarding cylinder deactivation and other gas-mileage tricks.

Look at any so-called 1/2-ton gasoline truck in the years to come and only Toyotas will have any resale value. It's the same reason why Tacomas hold value despite not really driving as well as Colorados. The small GMs are really great for a couple years whereas the Toyotas are what you buy if looking for a used one years later.

Notice Toyota doesn't go after the turbo-diesel market in the U.S., unwilling to play the ever-increasing and stupid power race that's consumed the Big 3 ... all of which as resulted in huge prices, horrible reliability, bad fuel economy or some combination of all 3. But hey! Many hundreds of ft. pounds of torque sure is fun.
Date: September 23, 2021 11:05PM
deckeda
End of an era. Toyota's innovation was V8 reliability.

FTFY. Toyota has been known for reliability all the way back to when they only made four-bangers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 23, 2021 11:19PM
The v8 in the sequoia I owned for a few months, was addicted to gas, it would drink it like crazy. I would watch the needle go down on the fuel gauge at every other stop. I’m like this is BS. Sold it to another dealership for what I paid. (In 2004, Ex got a Nissan Altima 2004 and I kept my 2001 xterra)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 24, 2021 12:10AM
Speedy
Filliam H. Muffman

In a single use case but not in the aggregate.

I think it would be so even in aggregate. The US fleet average is 24,9 mpg, but that is for new cars sold not the average for vehicles currently driven. Raising the average to 40 mpg for all vehicles driven would cut gasoline consumption by almost half. That would be down to about 5,000,000 bpd from 9,500,000 bpd. The only way to cut it a similar amount would be to ban nearly all gas powered engines (heavy-duty trucks, home generators, boats, lawnmowers, ATVs, etc.).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 24, 2021 07:47AM
N-OS X-tasy!
deckeda

FTFY. Toyota has been known for reliability all the way back to when they only made four-bangers.

True but I was trying to stay within the topic of V8 trucks.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 24, 2021 10:48AM
N-OS X-tasy!
deckeda

Only so far back. They had a few I-4 engines in the '60s and '70s known for certain reliability problems. Pretty much cleaned those up by the '80s.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 24, 2021 11:14AM
deckeda
Look at any so-called 1/2-ton gasoline truck in the years to come and only Toyotas will have any resale value. It's the same reason why Tacomas hold value despite not really driving as well as Colorados. The small GMs are really great for a couple years whereas the Toyotas are what you buy if looking for a used one years later.

Just don't drive a Colorado off road. They had a terrible issue with airbag deployment when off-roading. Even the ones sold as whatever Chevy referred to as their off-road model.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 24, 2021 03:28PM
Last V8 (other than daily veggie juice) was 1976 Buick Regal w/ its 350 cu. in. power plant. For most of its life, it averaged MPG in single digits. That was a royal pain in the gas. BIL has an older Tundra V8, and he'll keep it as long as he can.... it already has over 200K mi. on it, but he still loves it.

With gas prices in the stratosphere these days, we're rethinking ICE cars.
Big Toyota/Lexus fans here; will be curious to see how their FV's take shape.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020