advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series to start on Apple+ tomorrow
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 23, 2021 12:17PM
In case there are other fans of Asimov's Foundation books, Apple+ has produced a series that will be streaming starting tomorrow. Looks like it may be pretty good:

[www.youtube.com]

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series to start on Apple+ tomorrow
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 23, 2021 12:27PM
I am cautiously optimistic.

This could be my favorite SciFi series since Babylon5.

Or it could - not.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 23, 2021 12:34PM
I have procrastinated for close to 30 years on reading the books.. perhaps this will move me to the simple step of buying a copy.
I look forward to checking it out...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 23, 2021 12:37PM
Paul F.
I have procrastinated for close to 30 years on reading the books.. perhaps this will move me to the simple step of buying a copy.
I look forward to checking it out...

At this point, just watch the TV series. I've decided not to re-read them because I'm sure there will be important differences that will annoy me if I were to do both at the same time.

The series is a classic and represents some amazing crystal ball reading from a VERY young man. Asimov was a teenager when he imagined the entire story.
Date: September 23, 2021 12:41PM
sekker

Or it could - not.

Yeah, it's hard to tell. I once got excited to see Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea story as a movie and it was absolutely terrible. They butchered a SciFi/Fantasy masterpiece.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 23, 2021 01:38PM
I read the whole original series when I was a young adult. I recall elements and the major themes of it, but not enough to be upset about differences. I'm in as long as it's well written.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 23, 2021 02:02PM
Ted King
sekker

Or it could - not.

Yeah, it's hard to tell. I once got excited to see Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea story as a movie and it was absolutely terrible. They butchered a SciFi/Fantasy masterpiece.

I'll watch, but I'm leery. The trailers appear to show an interpretation that's been tarted up with the current de rigueur big explosions, battle scenes, fantasy-esque costuming, surreal sets and otherworldly vistas.
Date: September 23, 2021 03:53PM
Ted King
sekker

Or it could - not.

That was so bad, I have not even watched it.

Another horrible example of book-to-screen was Eragon. Not in the same class as these others, but the massive gap between fine book to horrible movie is memorable.
Date: September 23, 2021 03:55PM
DeusxMac
Ted King
sekker

Or it could - not.

I'll watch, but I'm leery. The trailers appear to show an interpretation that's been tarted up with the current de rigueur big explosions, battle scenes, fantasy-esque costuming, surreal sets and otherworldly vistas.

Need to keep the CGI companies in business!

I'm ok with the eye candy so long as real plots with character development is also there.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 23, 2021 04:45PM
The basic plot is very straightforward...what if the Roman Empire falls and it's possible to bring it back a thousand years faster by some whizbang social math?

And then, what happens if some completely unanticipated force occurs to knock it off track?

Everything else is just window dressing.
Asimov incorporated the influence of an Einstein -level genius as the main savior.

I fear they will make superheroes of the characters. They were definitely not Superman-type superheroes in the books. Even the Mule was just some ugly twerp.
Posted by: Z
Date: September 23, 2021 05:14PM
I've just been rereading the first book in the trilogy. I think I was over 150 of about 250 pages in before there was a female character... so I fully expect there to be a some liberties taken.
Date: September 23, 2021 06:03PM
Asimov was 21 years old when he started to write the stories. 1942 is not exactly known for being the heyday of women's presence in literature, and certainly not science fiction.

He improved over time.
Date: September 23, 2021 08:44PM
DeusxMac

I agree, but maybe that's just trailer bait to draw an audience (I hope).
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 23, 2021 09:28PM
Z
I've just been rereading the first book in the trilogy. I think I was over 150 of about 250 pages in before there was a female character... so I fully expect there to be a some liberties taken.

I read it at the same age range and probably the same speed that Azomov wrote it. That was over a half century ago so I doubt I'll be nit-picking from memory.

It's been so long that my immediate recollection is of how all consuming it became over what then seemed a ridiculous amount of time. Also recall how disappointing it was to exit. After I Robot it was my introduction to Azimov and I can distinctly recall diving into anything else of his available and found none of his other work was nearly as engaging, encompassing or satisfying.

The disaster visual media made of Lewis' Dune series causes me to have doubt about what Foundation will come out looking like.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 23, 2021 11:25PM
DeusxMac
Ted King
sekker

Or it could - not.

Yeah, tarted up is about what it will be. I read the Foundation trilogy many years ago (some of you not born then) and loved it. Stories that stretched across time fascinated me. Then a few years ago I read it again. And again, I loved the sweep of the work. But I found the writing to be pedestrian, and a little disappointing, the characterizations a little weak. But still the concept is a great idea.
It deserves a better treatment than just more explosions.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 23, 2021 11:27PM
blooz
DeusxMac
Ted King
sekker

Or it could - not.

Yeah, tarted up is about what it will be. I read the Foundation trilogy many years ago (some of you not born then) and loved it. Stories that stretched across time fascinated me. Then a few years ago I read it again. And again, I loved the sweep of the work. But I found the writing to be pedestrian, and a little disappointing, the characterizations a little weak. But still the concept is a great idea.
It deserves a better treatment than just more explosions.

The Mule was really the only interesting character.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 24, 2021 06:29AM
Gizmodo shredded it.

[gizmodo.com]

Even if you’re coming in without having read a page of Asimov, you’ll still notice the drawn-out plots that go nowhere, the padding, and the weird choices the show has the characters make to keep the plot from moving forward. Cheap, nonsensical melodrama fills the series (somehow, Seldin’s plan stops suddenly working because two people get in a relationship, so he has to break them up). Then there’s the show’s terror that people might not make certain connections, so it shows something, has the character comment on it to themself, and then maybe throws in a flashback to someone saying something relevant even if it was said three minutes prior. The show also wants to have pew-pew laser battles and ship fights and spacewalk mishaps and junk, none of which offer anything you haven’t seen...

Date: September 24, 2021 10:45AM
Sarcany
Gizmodo shredded it.

[gizmodo.com]

Even if you’re coming in without having read a page of Asimov, you’ll still notice the drawn-out plots that go nowhere, the padding, and the weird choices the show has the characters make to keep the plot from moving forward. Cheap, nonsensical melodrama fills the series (somehow, Seldin’s plan stops suddenly working because two people get in a relationship, so he has to break them up). Then there’s the show’s terror that people might not make certain connections, so it shows something, has the character comment on it to themself, and then maybe throws in a flashback to someone saying something relevant even if it was said three minutes prior. The show also wants to have pew-pew laser battles and ship fights and spacewalk mishaps and junk, none of which offer anything you haven’t seen...

Uhg. Damn. I'll still check it out, but that's disheartening.

e pluribus unum
Date: September 24, 2021 12:09PM
My son noted a few things:

1) Some other reviews are far more favorable

2) The plan is an 8-year arc. The Gizmodo reviewer seems to think this is Star Trek and thus all episodes should be entirely self-contained.

3) Even with (2), nearly all first year Star Trek series were a challenge in their first season

4) I loved Babylon5 in the end. But I admit its first season was full of mixed acting and directing, and there were plenty of seemingly random info shared that were not brought together until seasons 3, 4 or 5.

I will keep an open mind and hope it's better than the first episodes of STNG. I will give it a few episodes before I give it a full review.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 12:09PM by sekker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020