advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 23, 2021 05:04PM
On his trip home alone from Wyoming in her van, he helped himself to over $1000 from Gabby Petito's bank accounts and credit cards.

FBI Denver twitter announcement
[twitter.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 23, 2021 05:10PM
Missing white woman syndrome => [en.wikipedia.org]

you're being suckered by the tabloid news media
Date: September 23, 2021 05:22PM
Steve G.

I don't read or watch tabloids. That's your thing.

I like primary sources and intelligent media.
Date: September 23, 2021 05:50PM
It's particularly despicable when 'White Woman Syndrome' expands to legit media.
(Read the Wiki article)
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 23, 2021 05:59PM
Steve G.

Pretty much the first thing I said to my wife when it popped up on my newsfeed.

I think even Mcgruff the crime dog coulda figured this out. Dude comes home sans other party, and missing party isnt responding. Duh.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 23, 2021 06:06PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

I don't read or watch tabloids. That's your thing.

I like primary sources and intelligent media.

More on "Pretty White Woman"

“It’s amazing. I continue to be, you know, kind of uncertain as to why. Why that one as opposed to some other one,” said Morrison. “There’s usually some very ancient story, I think, that gets our guts going with a story like this. And it immediately – I’’s like a weather system that suddenly existed everywhere in the country. Everybody knows about it.”

“You know, I mean, obviously, there’s a whole question, which we don’t – it’s not for us to get into,” said Jansing. “But we’ve talked a lot about it here on MSNBC, and that is, it’s a lot of pretty white women.”

“Pretty white women missing,” said Morrison in agreement.

“For sure,” said Jansing.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 23, 2021 06:09PM
Steve G.

While I agree to some extent on how the media doesn't cover missing women of color, I do think it's relevant that this particular woman had a large social media presence. One article I read said her youtube channel and Instagram account had hundreds of thousands of followers though it did not mention whether that was the case BEFORE this all broke.

If people were following her journey and new content stopped being uploaded a whole lot of people would have noticed. A lot of eyes already on her does account for the initial attention and exponential growth in the ever hungry news cycle.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 23, 2021 06:12PM
easily a contender for least important story of the week.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 23, 2021 06:24PM
Diminishing one persons pain and struggle in order to elevate someone else's pain and struggle is empty and doesn't work. Just another way to divide people.
Date: September 23, 2021 06:26PM
Graylocks,

Yes I heard that was part of it at the beginning, she did have a following as a "van life" travel blogger but I have no idea about the size of that following.

There is no doubt that we are drawn to stories of other people's misery, particularly if it involves attractive young people and mysterious circumstances. If the case covers three regions of the country and the FBI makes it a priority case, you're gonna read about it nationally.

My interest in this case stems from being an abuse survivor. I relate to Gabby.

I also follow with great interest and have written to public officials about missing indigenous women and children.

Because of the intense publicity surrounding this case, new light has been shown on other cases. One case was solved tragically today, Jelani Day.

We will never see every missing case get this much attention. The reality is that most remain local stories. So if this is important to you, see who is missing in your town and help out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 06:26PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: September 23, 2021 06:27PM
you're being played for the sake of a few clicks and eyeballs

these are editorial decisions made by experienced news folks who see a million of these things every day. They found a hot one. Enjoy the ads surrounding this feature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 06:30PM by Steve G..
Date: September 23, 2021 06:28PM
Steve G.

I could agree with that. I could also see graylocks point, although not a "star" or anything, she had an online presence.

Many peeps that do go missing simply disappear, with zero to go on. No phone, no social media, no friends, etc or any and all of the above

Its not unnoticed:

Relatives said it has been painful to see the disparities between the handling of Day's disappearance and that of Gabby Petito, whose death drew national attention.
[www.nbcnews.com]

Date: September 23, 2021 06:28PM
Steve G.

Easily a contender for least important opinion of the week.
Date: September 23, 2021 06:32PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

You really wish this lone adventure was important.

remember getting suckered by this one?
Date: September 23, 2021 06:35PM

Date: September 23, 2021 06:36PM
Steve I think your comments are getting way too vulgar for me, putting you on ignore.

If this story is so uninteresting to you, why were you so quick to hop on this thread? Just to insult people here?

Rhetorical questions, obviously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 06:37PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 23, 2021 07:07PM
Lindbergh's child that was kidnapped was a boy. Male.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 23, 2021 07:10PM
Sheesh, another thread crap from everyone's favorite poster.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: September 23, 2021 07:11PM
Lemon Drop
Steve I think your comments are getting way too vulgar for me, putting you on ignore.

If this story is so uninteresting to you, why were you so quick to hop on this thread? Just to insult people here?

Rhetorical questions, obviously.

I'm not 'quick to hop on it'. I have expressed my opinion of this in another thread. I couldn't believe you updated this trash piece. That is what led me to comment.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 23, 2021 07:19PM
Steve G.

How about you show some etiquette and stop crapping on people’s threads? If you don’t want to talk about it, don’t post. Don’t ruin other people’s topics just because you don’t like it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 23, 2021 07:51PM
I'm sorry you don't like my opinion. I thought that what a forum is for.

I know the basic truths here. When i used to ask my friends who were writing and editing and presenting TV network news why they run garbage stories, the answer would always be the same, 'because people like to watch it'.

With so much critical happening nowadays, I am offended by such behavior by the news media, who would substitute four minutes of airtime with this junk for stories that are affecting tens of millions and the fate of nations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 07:52PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 23, 2021 07:52PM
Steve G.

I couldn’t agree more.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 23, 2021 07:55PM
Steve G.

I know the basic truths here. When i used to ask my friends who were writing and editing and presenting TV network news why they run garbage stories, the answer would always be the same, 'because people like to watch it'.

With so much critical happening nowadays, I am offended by such behavior by the news media, who would substitute four minutes of airtime with this junk for stories that are affecting tens of millions and the fate of nations.

Start your own thread. No need to hijack the legitimacy of someone else’s thread. It’s rude. Start your own thread.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 23, 2021 07:58PM
It was lemon drop's choice to start this thread. I am commenting on it. I'm sorry you don't like my comments.
Date: September 23, 2021 08:10PM
Incidentally, the Lindbergh case is a prototype of this sort of story.

It elevated the tabloid stunt journalism of the late 1880's to a new level by being blasted on all available media.

at least Nellie Bly was a real reporter
Date: September 23, 2021 08:17PM
August West
Sheesh, another thread crap from everyone's favorite poster.

and Augie West adds another personal insult and no comments or opinions about the story. I cannot see how lone insults against me excite you, but you keep on doing it no matter how many times I point out this is unsuitable forum behavior.

edit: I should point out that there are at least 4 commenters on this thread who agree with my opinions about this story. Perhaps you would like to personally insult them as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 08:42PM by Steve G..
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 23, 2021 08:48PM
Steve G.

So ignore it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 23, 2021 09:15PM
I just want to take a moment to say Brava to Lemon Drop for speaking out in this thread as an abuse survivor. It is nothing to be ashamed of but still it takes great courage to bring it forward on a public forum.

I honor you for that, Lemon, and thank you for trusting us enough to share that bit of yourself. I see you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 23, 2021 09:19PM
graylocks
I just want to take a moment to say Brava to Lemon Drop for speaking out in this thread as an abuse survivor. It is nothing to be ashamed of but still it takes great courage to bring it forward on a public forum.

I honor you for that, Lemon, and thank you for trusting us enough to share that bit of yourself. I see you.

Well said, thank you both. thumbs up

=wr=
Date: September 23, 2021 09:24PM
It appears that the city of Moab will do a review of the domestic incident involving the couple in question [www.ksl.com]

Perhaps something will come of this, perhaps nothing will. It definitely starts the conversation of what the Police obligations and conduct regarding domestic incidents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 10:36PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 23, 2021 09:31PM
graylocks

+1

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Date: September 23, 2021 09:49PM
August West
graylocks

+1

+2

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 23, 2021 09:56PM
Lemon's Twitter link doesn't work me but here's a WaPo story on it: [www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 23, 2021 10:01PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

You undermine your own credibility as being humane, Steve, when you relegate the undoubtably terrifying murder of another human being to “a contender for least important story of the week”. There are times you serve as a needed irritant, but often you let your hyperbole run headlong into zealotry and do a disservice to your own message.

To the issue raised, from ABC/Good Morning America
”There's frustration. There's sadness," [Natalie Wilson, co-founder of the Black and Missing Foundation, Inc] she said of the people she works with who are searching for their missing loved ones. "We are meeting families at the worst points in their lives. They are frustrated because they're not getting help from law enforcement or they're frustrated because they're not getting media coverage."

At the end of 2020, the FBI had over 89,000 active missing person cases, and 45% of those were people of color, according to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC).

Only about one-fifth of missing person cases involving minorities are covered by the news, according to a 2016 analysis published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology.”

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 23, 2021 11:03PM
Blankity Blank
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

You undermine your own credibility as being humane, Steve, when you relegate the undoubtably terrifying murder of another human being to “a contender for least important story of the week”. There are times you serve as a needed irritant, but often you let your hyperbole run headlong into zealotry and do a disservice to your own message.

And here I thought he was just being an @#$%&.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 05:08AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2021 01:12AM

You could have kept your comment focused on the story and the how and why of your opinion of the story, but in your first post here:

was wholly unnecessarily insulting, and you knew it.

Now, I know a lot of people here and in other forums think that's what forums are for.

You want to critique a story or a post, sure, but there's no need to go on the offensive, unprovoked.

Those four posters you mentioned may agree with your opinion, or your delivery style or both, I dunno.

But since you mention it, as many if not more don't agree with either.

If you push, don't be surprised at pushback.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 24, 2021 04:16AM
Even within the media, some question the amount of Gabby Petito coverage

[www.washingtonpost.com]

How much media coverage should any one news story get? The perennial question is getting renewed debate across the nation’s newsrooms and on social media amid an avalanche of stories about the disappearance and death of Gabby Petito.

Local and national outlets have covered the ins and outs of the story with an intensity of focus not seen in many years, buoyed by the involvement of Internet sleuths who have dedicated themselves to the case.

In a seven-day period ending Wednesday, Petito had been mentioned 398 times on Fox News, 346 times on CNN and 100 times on MSNBC, according to a Washington Post tally, with coverage across news programs and opinion talk shows. Television networks have sent reporters on the road and leaned on their pool of former law enforcement officials to provide commentary about the investigation.

After the 22-year-old New York woman vanished during a cross-country road trip with her fiance, Brian Laundrie, journalists and true-crime enthusiasts latched on to her Instagram chronicle of that journey, in search of clues. On Tuesday, authorities identified her remains in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming. Her death has been tentatively ruled a homicide. Laundrie, who has not been seen since last week, is considered a person of interest in the case.

But the heavy coverage of her story has reignited a long-standing debate about whether the American media disproportionately covers tragedies involving young White women while largely ignoring the plights of missing women of color, who do not regularly generate national coverage.

MSNBC host Joy Reid criticized her own industry Monday on her prime-time show, calling the Petito coverage an example of “missing White woman syndrome,” a term coined by the late journalist Gwen Ifill. “Why not the same media attention when people of color go missing?” asked Reid, who is Black, before echoing a guest’s suggestion that a structural bias in the news business could be at play.

“If the woman who is missing looks like your own daughter or granddaughter, and you’re a newsroom executive, you’re going to gravitate more toward it,” Reid said. “If this is the way that these [other] young women look, maybe they’re not noticed as much. But we need to change that.”

Lynnette Grey Bull, the founder of a Wyoming-based group focused on advocating for missing and trafficked Native Americans, appeared on Reid’s show to make a case for more proportional media coverage. “Unfortunately, us here that live on the reservation, we kind of just adopted an understanding that if we don’t have blond hair and blue eyes, we aren’t prime-time material,” she told The Washington Post in an interview.

According to a report released this year from Wyoming’s Taskforce on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons, 710 Native American people were missing in the state between 2011 and 2020. “Media portrayal of missing persons differed between Indigenous people and White people,” the report concluded. “White people were more likely to have an article written while they were still missing,” while “Indigenous people were more likely to have an article written about them being missing only after they were found dead.”

CNN contributor Ana Navarro, who, like Reid, expressed sympathy for the Petito family, issued a call on Instagram for more inclusive coverage. “I want to take nothing away from this horrible case. My thoughts are w/her family,” she wrote. “I just want there to be same interest and energy [for] every disappeared young woman in America — Brown, Black, Native-American, transgender.”

Omékongo Dibinga, a professor at American University, argues that the issue is deeply rooted. “People just don’t see us in the same way that they see these White women and White girls,” he said in an interview. “We want the Petito family and everybody else to get justice, but we’re just saying that we want some of that [coverage], too, and we don’t get it.”

The media critique has crossed party lines. Over on the conservative news channel Newsmax, Grant Stinchfield made a similar pitch on his Monday night show. “The very sad reality is: There are thousands of young women missing across the country,” he said. “They go largely ignored by the mainstream media, even though every victim deserves coverage. … None get the media coverage like cute, little White girl Gabby Petito. The media is hyper-focused on White girls with blond hair.”

>>>>

There is more at the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 04:18AM by Speedy.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 24, 2021 08:03AM
Basically every news story about Gabby Petito explained why her disappearance gained attention, but folks want to ignore that and make note of her hair and skin color instead.

“Why not the same media attention when people of color go missing?“ — said a person known by many

There is structural racism but if Joy Reid ever goes missing it’ll be a national story despite of her skin color. Weird that she doesn’t realize why.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 24, 2021 08:13AM
As a retired Journalist, I would just like to point out that no story gets repeated coverage if the readers/viewers don't follow it. The media is a business that needs profits to survive, if this garbage can draw in views then that helps pay for the costs of covering real news.

It is also a way to draw the public into the real news. People who would never read anything about the federal deficit just might if it is next to the missing white girl story. Kinda like killing cockroaches by mixing sugar into the poison.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 24, 2021 09:07AM
Lemon Drop
On his trip home alone from Wyoming in her van, he helped himself to over $1000 from Gabby Petito's bank accounts and credit cards.

FBI Denver twitter announcement
[twitter.com]

It seems this particular tweet has been deleted, but there is now an FBI tweet showing the arrest warrant that references such transactions, and news reports still cite the transactions.

Resources

NamUs National Missing and Unidentified Persons System
NamUs provides technology, forensic services, and investigative support to resolve missing person and unidentified remains cases.

FBI Indian Country Cases (sic)
”The FBI is seeking public assistance and information on the cases below, many of which involve missing or murdered victims in Indian Country. The FBI has investigative responsibilities for federal crimes committed on nearly 200 Indian reservations nationwide and shares the federal jurisdiction with our partner, the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

If you have information concerning any of these cases, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate, or submit a tip online at tips.fbi.gov (tips can remain anonymous).

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 24, 2021 01:38PM
Ombligo
As a retired Journalist, I would just like to point out that no story gets repeated coverage if the readers/viewers don't follow it. The media is a business that needs profits to survive, if this garbage can draw in views then that helps pay for the costs of covering real news.

It is also a way to draw the public into the real news. People who would never read anything about the federal deficit just might if it is next to the missing white girl story. Kinda like killing cockroaches by mixing sugar into the poison.

A newspaperman knows what's what fo' 'sho.
Date: September 24, 2021 02:38PM
Ombligo

Weren't you a photojournalist? Not a writer or editor. No journalist who writes copy for the public to read would refer to a factual, nontabloid story about a murder as "garbage."
Date: September 24, 2021 02:52PM
Speedy
August West
graylocks

+1

+2

Thank you for the kind words.
Date: September 24, 2021 02:54PM
Denver FBI deleted the tweet and corrected it with a new one because there was an incorrect date in the first tweet.

Story is widely available anywhere, of course. Choose your own preferred media!
Date: September 24, 2021 03:01PM
Lemon Drop
Ombligo

Weren't you a photojournalist? Not a writer or editor. No journalist who writes copy for the public to read would refer to a factual, nontabloid story about a murder as "garbage."

That's completely misconstruing what Ombligo said. He was referring to how people in the media view such stories - not how they publicly report them.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 24, 2021 05:12PM
For every hour I spend on the Internet I seem to like people less.
Date: September 25, 2021 05:54AM
RgrF
Lemon Drop
Ombligo

That's completely misconstruing what Ombligo said. He was referring to how people in the media view such stories - not how they publicly report them.

You misconstrued what I said then. He claims to know journalism, the comment doesn't reflect that for multiple reasons. Journalists don't refer to murdered young abuse victims and their stories as garbage.
Date: September 25, 2021 11:11AM
Au contraire mon cher - they do with nothing being sacrosanct.

In what some may have described as malpractice, I wrote for and edited a local broadsheet back in the '70s. Journalism may breed cynicism even if it's not reflected in the finished product which, sans editing, it well might be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020