advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any serious horse riders here?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 24, 2021 02:00PM
Without going into context that might get this moved to the other side, does anybody here know anything about the idea that spinning a horse's reins in the air is some part of controlling the horse? Some folks I know are claiming that's a known or common thing.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any serious horse riders here?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 24, 2021 02:02PM
I might be, if I knew any serious horses.

smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: September 24, 2021 02:30PM
I asked my daughter (who rides and trains and shows horses).

She said, "Never heard of it before. Could be a cultural thing, or a yee-yee hick belief. It's going to do nothing except annoy the @#$%& out of the horse."

There you have it.

=TC
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: September 24, 2021 02:35PM
My first reaction was, "That's a sure sign of out-of-control riding."

I thought it was either a calf roping thing, or a barrels racing thing. I just couldn't imagine flailing reins doing anything other than scaring the horse.

I have seen movies in which the actors slap the reins to one side of the horse, then the other, to (supposedly) urge the horse to go faster. Movies are not necessarily a good teaching medium for horsemanship.

=TC
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 24, 2021 03:02PM
AFAIK, that sounds like "showing the horse the reins", to speed it up, rather than actually smacking the future dog food. Not meant to scare, or annoy the horse, just a visual clue to kick it into the next gear. OTOH, if there are two nekkid people riding the same horse, it could have an entirely different meaning. Or the rider could have OCD, or ADHD, or just think it looks cool, and the twirling has nothing whatsoever to do with the horse. Maybe the rider is also a magician and it's a diversion for a slight-of-hand trick. Or the screenwriter wrote into the script that way. More possibilities than for Shaq to have fun on a Carnival Cruise.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 24, 2021 03:13PM
.....many here have been ridden [ but may not admit to it ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 24, 2021 03:42PM
Buzz
....or just think it looks cool, and the twirling has nothing whatsoever to do with the horse.
==

DING DING DING!!!

we have the winning answer

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 24, 2021 04:11PM
Never heard of it.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 24, 2021 04:47PM
One thing I'm pretty sure of, no one here has any knowledge of what
goes in to training horses for law enforcement or search & rescue missions.
The latter being the primary use of CBP's equine units. Most certainly a
different school of dressage versus competition or rodeo skills.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 24, 2021 04:56PM
I will ONLY ride a horse with a sense of humor!

Posted by: chopper
Date: September 24, 2021 05:01PM
I grew up on a horse farm. Until I was old enough to suggest I did not want to know another horse and it was motorcycles for me from here on out I went to hundreds of shows, races, etc. Also shoveled more horse manure than I care to think about. I also stuck my 13 year old arm inside a horse and tried to turn the dying foal. So, yeah.

Anyway, looked to me like the riders were riding in the style of western ranch hands; typically they use longer reins and ride in a "barrel"style which is over the horn of the saddle and it looks aggressive mostly because those guys are working horsemen.

I don't watch TV much but I did see some footage of these horsemen with the aliens. I can def see how people who have never been around horse, a ranch or ranch hands would think it's aggressive.

I'm not sure why they were letting the horses gallop that fast around these people. That was the danger. 1000 pound running horse can do some damage.

I've known some of the hands who do that work. The last thing they give two craps about are how street people think they should be doing their job.
Date: September 24, 2021 05:05PM
<<One thing I'm pretty sure of, no one here has any knowledge of what
goes in to training horses for law enforcement or search & rescue missions. >>

My mom and my aunt trained horses for all the local sheriff departments, two or three different counties. So, yeah, you wrong.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 24, 2021 05:34PM
MRF comes through again!
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: September 24, 2021 06:35PM
Very serious horse person since 1992, although I don’t ride western much. Long reins can be used for a whip, or just a threat, to urge the horse on - other than that, no, I don’t think so. I sometimes carry a short whip, mostly for show, because I don’t use those long reins in English.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 24, 2021 08:34PM
I’ve seen it used, mostly during training, to reenforce other directional cues.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 24, 2021 08:39PM
My daughter does barrel racing and pole racing. Reins assist with direction and speed, along with how the horse feels you shift weight and what’s heard.

What’s popular and vaguely similar to what the OP describes is when trying to run in a straight line is to whip side to side, but that’s for show. It won’t win races, let alone make the thing run faster. It helps to have things such as a treeless saddle and a forward facing (so that you don’t ever use it … ) saddle horn. But don’t tell anyone here that; those are something for the completion to discover. smiling smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 25, 2021 05:10AM
chopper
<<One thing I'm pretty sure of, no one here has any knowledge of what
goes in to training horses for law enforcement or search & rescue missions. >>

My mom and my aunt trained horses for all the local sheriff departments, two or three different counties. So, yeah, you wrong.

So did they also train you to perform their duties?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: September 25, 2021 11:33AM
<<So did they also train you to perform their duties?>>

Clearly you are not a farm kid. Farm kids are portable work centers: they do everything the parents do except banking and taxes.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 26, 2021 12:23AM
.....most will usually laugh when they horse ride......but some will take it seriously.......very seriously.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020