advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just saw Apple TV "Foundation"-meh
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 24, 2021 10:24PM
Great production values and acting. Really slow, and too much cr@p piled on top of Asimov's original story.

Remember Lord of the Rings, and how the first movie in the trilogy was amazing, both as a film and on how followed the essence of the book? And then the second movie was kind of meh? Foundation is like the second one-pretty ok, especially if you haven't read the book, but if you know the book, it's off target.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just saw Apple TV "Foundation"-meh
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 25, 2021 08:21AM
.....so the Foundation.....is cracked......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 25, 2021 09:50AM
Oh no...but I'm not surprised....

No even disappointed. Pretty much as expected. I can only hope DUNE is not trashed.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 25, 2021 10:12AM
Rolando

No even disappointed. Pretty much as expected. I can only hope DUNE is not trashed.

As I recall Dune has already been trashed, at least twice* ~ can only be untrashed from there.

*that's if you don't count Tremors!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 25, 2021 10:16AM
Rolando

As I recall Dune has already been trashed bomb smiley, at least twice* ~ can only be untrashed from there.

*that's if you don't count Tremors!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 12:10PM by RgrF.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 25, 2021 11:40AM
Peter Jackson’s LOTR movies will be used as a baseline for movie adaptations of classic books for decades to come. It’s hard to beat those.

I’ll watch the first episode this weekend. Rumor is the second episode is the low point of the first season so will way until episode three is released before watching.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 25, 2021 12:18PM
sekker
Peter Jackson’s LOTR movies will be used as a baseline for movie adaptations of classic books for decades to come. It’s hard to beat those.

I do not think the LOTR movies were even remotely close to the books.

The movies were all about war and action.

The books were quite the opposite if my 45+ year memories of the books are correct.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 25, 2021 12:26PM
My distant recollection was that the original books had LONG boring sections. This show hasn't been great, but it has potential. I'll give it a chance.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 25, 2021 12:33PM
hal
My distant recollection was that the original books had LONG boring sections. This show hasn't been great, but it has potential. I'll give it a chance.

Th original books were entertaining short story collections.

The later novels were boring.

Especially after Asimov incorporated the robots.

Date: September 25, 2021 11:54PM
Watched the first episode. Was fine. Will continue. They have a rich story and over 1000 years to cover!
Date: September 25, 2021 11:56PM
freeradical
sekker

The books were quite the opposite if my 45+ year memories of the books are correct.

I’ve read the books more times than I’d admit, and the back story books too. The movies are a high fidelity rendition of the storyline. Plenty of slow parts in the book - I was fine to see those compressed.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 26, 2021 09:29AM
RgrF
As I recall Dune has already been trashed, at least twice* ~ can only be untrashed from there.
!

If you're talking about the yet Sci Fi "Frank Herbert's Dune"
I will say, I rather liked it (for what it was). It worked as low budget, near stage play version.

As far as the biggest

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 26, 2021 11:43AM
sekker
freeradical
sekker

I’ve read the books more times than I’d admit, and the back story books too. The movies are a high fidelity rendition of the storyline. Plenty of slow parts in the book - I was fine to see those compressed.

LoTR was a pretty good movie adaptation as they go. Not great, but it got the job done. I'm still pissed off to this day that they cut out the scouring of the Shire. Tolkien said on many occasions that he wrote that part early on and it was one of the most important parts of the story if not the most important part. It put the entire quest into context. Evil can be a big nebulous eye in the sky, but it can also be there in the pettiness and selfishness of everyday people. Fighting it at home takes something other than swords and grand gestures.

The Hobbit adaptation was the one three that was a nothing less than a horrific breach of the public trust. (And at one point Jackson wanted six films to fill in the gap between Hobbit and LoTR so I guess we're lucky we only had the three to massacre the story.)

Posted by: Acer
Date: September 26, 2021 12:12PM
So, getting back to the OP.

It was very much in the current fashions for sci-fi visually and epic serials in its story-telling. Very "busy" in both departments. A little too busy in the story telling as the subplots and foreshadowing were whizzing by pretty fast. There were no space dogfights, so that at least is a refreshing change from space operas.

I thought they did pretty well setting up the basic premise of the story, the "equation," establishing the Foundation and the rot of the Empire. We'll see where it goes.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 26, 2021 04:03PM
It's been over 40 years since I read the books and honestly I don't remember all that much even though I was enthralled at the time. Limited memory capacity I guess. So when I watched the first episode I decided to try to watch it as though the story was entirely new to me. On that basis I thought it was pretty good in general. The emperor(s) struck me as overly shallowly portrayed, though.

I'm looking forward to watching more episodes and hope they tend to be at least as good as the first one.

My favorite scifi series to date is The Expanse. It's got some ups and downs but overarching story is intriguing to me and the characters are mostly very good. The Amos character (and the actor who plays him) is especially interesting to me on a "What does it mean to be human?" level.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 06:28PM by Ted King.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 27, 2021 12:01PM
I was enthralled by the Foundation when I read it first, probably 40 years ago. I was disappointed re-reading it recently (as I was with Robot novels and stories) - the writing style is really not all that great. But I will watch the series, saving it for binge-watching.

And I fully agree with Rolando that the Sy-Fy miniseries of Dune was OK. Definitely more true to the novel than Lynch's version.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 27, 2021 02:28PM
My favorite scifi series to date is The Expanse. It's got some ups and downs but overarching story is intriguing to me and the characters are mostly very good. The Amos character (and the actor who plays him) is especially interesting to me on a "What does it mean to be human?" level.

All of this.

The Expanse is so well done on so many levels, I don't mind giving it an occasional pass, and for me, it rarely needs one.

All the characters are great and Amos is one of my favorites.

Another favorite I miss, is Thomas Jane as the gumshoe.

I'm really looking forward to season 6.

I'll watch Foundation tonight, if I get a chance.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020