advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“ At Least 3 Killed and 50 Hurt in Amtrak Derailment in Montana, Officials Say “
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 25, 2021 09:36PM
‘ At least three people were killed and 50 others were injured after an Amtrak train derailed in Montana on Saturday afternoon, setting off a frantic response by rescuers who scrambled to extricate passengers from cars, the authorities said.

Amtrak said that five cars on an Empire Builder train had derailed at roughly 4 p.m. local time. About 147 passengers and 13 crew members were on board, “with injuries reported,” Amtrak said in a statement.

The Liberty County Sheriff’s Office said that three people were confirmed dead.

Amanda Frickel, the disaster and emergency services coordinator for Hill County, Mont., said in an interview “well over” 50 people had been injured.

Ms. Frickel said the train, which was headed west, derailed just outside Joplin, Mont., which is about 200 miles north of Helena.

Ms. Frickel said that rescuers from six counties were responding to the scene and that as many as five hospitals were on standby to receive injured passengers. There were also a number of medical helicopters standing by, she said. ‘

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “ At Least 3 Killed and 50 Hurt in Amtrak Derailment in Montana, Officials Say “
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 25, 2021 10:01PM
I've ridden on the Empire Builder and it's a great train ride. That's terrible.
Re: “ At Least 3 Killed and 50 Hurt in Amtrak Derailment in Montana, Officials Say “
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 26, 2021 01:10AM
The worst possible time to need emergency room help in rural Montana.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 26, 2021 06:13AM
RgrF
The worst possible time to need emergency room help in rural Montana.

True, but at least it’s not winter.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 26, 2021 09:29AM
I wonder how many injuries or deaths happened in the same time per traveler. I'm guessing Rail (and flying) is still safer than driving!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 26, 2021 11:25AM
Rolando
I wonder how many injuries or deaths happened in the same time per traveler. I'm guessing Rail (and flying) is still safer than driving!

Most likely. An far safer than being in Chicago or Philadelphia on a weekend.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 26, 2021 03:03PM
Wow-I’ve worked that route dozens of times, as a bartender. Damn shame the way this country treats infrastructure.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 26, 2021 04:13PM
anonymouse1
Wow-I’ve worked that route dozens of times, as a bartender. Damn shame the way this country treats infrastructure.

Aren't rail lines owned by individual railroad companies and leased to AmTrak for use? Or does that vary by location and track?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 27, 2021 09:45AM
Most likely. An far safer than being in Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, or Baltimore on a weekend.
ftfy thumbsup smiley

Aren't rail lines owned by individual railroad companies and leased to AmTrak for use?
Yep, that line is owned by BNSF, Warren Buffett's company.

Anyone remember the 1995 derailment of the Sunset Limited near
Palo Verde, AZ? "Sabotage" was blamed but case is still open and unsolved.
[en.wikipedia.org]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020