advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wow, should an iPhone's battery capacity go down this quickly?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 26, 2021 09:05AM
Have been noticing recently with my iPh12 Pro Max that I may be running through a full charge during the day, requiring me to start to charge it from my battery case.

Curious about what was chowing the battery, I looked at usage and there was only really one surprise there, that the Nextdoor app consumes a lot of power (not sure why). However, I did get a bit of a shock that I saw I was down to 90% maximum capacity. This is hardly an old phone ... I bought it only nine months ago. That's a far sharper drop than for my old iPhone 6+, which is still at 93 or 94% maximum capacity after many YEARS of use. (Though I realize those aren't really comparable.)

Is this a defect? Does Apple cover the batteries during the warranty period?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wow, should an iPhone's battery capacity go down this quickly?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 26, 2021 09:29AM
I am in a similar situation, luckily I’m on the upgrade program so my 13 promax should arrive shortly.
I found that the actual, official Apple podcast app was draining my battery consistently.
It would make the phone get warm and train the battery even if I wasn’t actively using it.
The solution was to force quit the podcast app whenever I wasn’t using it. Good luck.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 26, 2021 11:18AM
1. If you haven't done so already, force-reboot the phone. It's not clear what it does on recent iPhones -- used to do integrity checks on system files and rebuild databases -- but it still seems to clear up odd problems, especially relating to battery life.

2. Good idea to review all of the battery-saving steps here:
[www.iphonelife.com]

3. Note that cell phones use more power when cell towers are hard to find/connect to and 5G sucks power like an industrial vacuum cleaner. If you don't have a very close 5G cell tower near your home/workplace (within 100 yards or so), go into your cellular settings and change the settings from 5G or 5G Auto to LTE.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 26, 2021 12:59PM
I have been babying my iPhone 7+ battery for most of it's 4.5 year life and I'm at 82%. It seems that many of the more recent battery technologies lose their max capacity very quickly during their first months of life and then settle into a lengthy time in the 80-90% range.

Not sure about your 6+, but I suspect that the instantaneous high power spikes of modern mobile CPUs just kills the batteries and your 6+ definitely predates the very high CPU speeds of modern phones. Your 6+ has a 1.4GHz processor while the iPhone 7+ uses a 2.4 GHz processor. That's a big power draw difference.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 26, 2021 01:32PM
My iPhone 7 battery and motherboard were replaced under a Apple program in Jan. 2020 and the battery is now at 82% max capacity.

Grateful11
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 26, 2021 01:32PM
Apple will address battery issues if your battery capacity drops below 82% in the first year.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: September 28, 2021 02:31PM
If you don't have AppleCare+ on the iPhone, you might want to get it before the 1 year warranty is up. (You'll have to have a Genius do an inspection to buy the AppleCare after the first 60 days).
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 28, 2021 05:21PM
My iPhone 11 is down to 81% capacity after two years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020