The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite Mac Laptop?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 26, 2021 12:46PM
Poll
Favorite Mac Laptop
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
42 votes were received.
Macinstosh Portable 0

0%
PowerBook 100 series 1

2%
PowerBook Duo series 3

7%
PowerBook 500 series 1

2%
PowerBook 2000 Series 3

7%
PowerBook 190/5300 0

0%
PowerBook 1400/3400/G3 0

0%
PowerBook G3 Series Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo 12

29%
PowerBook G4 Ti 4

10%
MacBook Pro Al 13" 15" 17" 2

5%
MacBook Ice/White (Plastic) 1

2%
MacBook Pro Unibody (Non Retina) 3

7%
MacBook Unibody (White Plastic) 1

2%
MacBook Air 8

19%
MacBook (nothing) 12" 0

0%
MacBook Pro Retina 1

2%
MacBook Air Retina (Including current M1) 2

5%

Following up on my Previous Poll, what is your favorite Mac Laptop, aesthetically/emotionally? Specify model if you like as well

In College, I lusted after the 500 Series...
My first Powerbook was a gorgeous Wallstreet 233. I chose it right before the TAM went down to $1999. I think I would still have the TAM if I had gotten that one.

My current Mac is a 2012 15" (non retina), the last easily upgradable MacBook. I'm still using it every day, waiting for Apple to give me a worthy replacement!

EDIT: I TOTALLY DITZED and blanked on the iBooks! My error!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 02:22PM by Rolando.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite Mac Laptop?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 26, 2021 12:53PM
2015 13" MBP. Great screen, pretty light, has ports, replaceable SSD, reasonably replaceable battery (just did one).

Function over form.

PB 1400 had the best-ever keyboard in a laptop. Wallstreet was the first desktop-class laptop (honorable mention to PB 3400 but the hump! I didn't like the hump. Pismo was Pismo- almost too good but G3 when G4 was the standard for performance. I have 3.

My PB5300ce still boots. Somehow.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 26, 2021 12:59PM
Can't complain about the MBPr in my hands now. Its predecessor, MBP 2008, is still in service in the household.

But the sentimental favorite was the wee 2400c "Comet," small, curvy and the screen was like a bright jewel. Even had a PC card slot. I added wifi via a Orinoco PC card hack to get around Apple's $$ propriety card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 01:00PM by Acer.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 26, 2021 01:13PM
Not a single iBook listed as an option?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 26, 2021 02:03PM
My first was a Duo, which I loved, but was pricey for all the extra gear needed for it to properly operate as a portable/desktop.

My 2nd and 3rd were Ti's (last era where I needed a laptop, I like iPads for my portable use now) which gave me a fantastic lifespan. In fact, I still boot up one of the Ti's every once in awhile to play Warcraft II, one of my all time favs.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: davester
Date: September 26, 2021 02:12PM
When the first Ti came out I felt that this was the sin qua non of laptops (probably largely due to the Leader's amazing ability to convince). It's been subsequently eclipsed by the unibody MacBooks but it was the basis for everything that came after.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 02:12PM by davester.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 26, 2021 02:22PM
davester
When the first Ti came out I felt that this was the sin qua non of laptops (probably largely due to the Leader's amazing ability to convince). It's been subsequently eclipsed by the unibody MacBooks but it was the basis for everything that came after.

...Insofar as Apple learned that painted titanium can't stand up to variable temperatures and human sweat.

...Had the topcase on mine replaced at least 3 times.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 26, 2021 03:50PM
The MacBook Air is my favorite by far, but only the M1 version. The Intel versions are grossly under powered. [Edit: I voted MacBook Air because I didn't see the M1 at the time and don't see how to change my vote.]

Next would be the 15" i7 quad MacBook Pros.

The 13" M1 MacBook Pro is also a fine machine but isn't enough improved over the M1 MBA to justify the increased price.

Sarcany
davester

...Insofar as Apple learned that painted titanium can't stand up to variable temperatures and human sweat.

The hinges on TiBooks were a weak spot as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 03:53PM by AllGold.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 26, 2021 03:56PM
Pismo 4 Life
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 26, 2021 04:15PM
13" Mid-2012 MBP.

Solid, upgradable, still runs everything I need. I bought an M1 MBA only to save the MPB from everyday use. It runs programs I still want that newer ones won't (Photoshop CS6 in particular).

I still like it better than the MBA.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 26, 2021 04:16PM
Mine was the Powerbook 100. It was the first viable Mac laptop. The Mac Portable was a joke. The 100 form factor set the stage for a lot of laptops after it.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 26, 2021 04:20PM
p8712
Pismo 4 Life

agree smiley

Nothing will ever beat the Pismo for overall laptop everything when it was released. From an overall productivity standpoint, I'd have to say the PB3400c was my personal winner. There have (obviously) been plenty of more powerful, fully featured, etc. laptops since, but from a point in time standpoint, nothing can touch the Pismo.
==
Posted by: raz
Date: September 26, 2021 04:23PM
My new M1 MacBook air is just loverly. Certainly better than every laptop I've ever owned. I really can't get nostalgic for obsolete hardware. After the first 1 or 2 get retired [*], you just walk away.

--- [*] ---
First computer: HP timeshare running RSTS
Second computer: DEC 11/34
First Mac: Centris 610

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 26, 2021 05:20PM
I always liked the Lucite look
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: September 26, 2021 05:24PM
Duo series for its novel but (for me, very practical) approach. Pismo for flexibility and simply being a joy to use.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 26, 2021 05:28PM
Sarcany
davester

As a retired Machinist I have to ask if anyone knows why they painted titanium instead of embracing it bare?

Grateful11
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 26, 2021 05:37PM
Lombard/Pismo were great models but still portables.

I’ve also had a 17” Lapzilla and a recent 16” - both very fine machines that weighed less than a Pismo.

But I voted for the M1 MBA. Why? It’s sweet power and true all-day battery life - and yet, weighs about 3 lbs. Add a GaN charger, and it comes in like half the weight of a Pismo and charger (you WERE bringing that in your bag right)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 05:37PM by sekker.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 26, 2021 06:10PM
As a card carrying gimp, I always used a rolling computer tote, so the early/heavy laptops were of no significant consequence. Since going to a heavy duty walker many years ago, now I just hang the laptop bag from the handlebars.

While the Pismo is etched in mind as the all time fave, perhaps if schlepping had been more of an issue, the pecking order might get changed. There has never been a laptop with a better keyboard than the Pismo.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 26, 2021 07:56PM
davester

I couldn’t agree more. Even PC users coveted the TiBooks. I still have a 1 GHz model with a massive one gigabyte of RAM and an 80 GB spinner. Plenty of ports and a SuperDrive.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 26, 2021 09:22PM
Clamshell, lime green
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 26, 2021 09:33PM
iBook SE , grey… it was just easy to carry and use.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 27, 2021 08:23AM
The clamshell iBooks were never the right thing for me but they were so fun, and I sold a bunch of them back in the day.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 27, 2021 10:11AM
One of the things I really loved about the white MacBook era (I forget the model, but someone will clue me in) was the absolute stupid ease of upgrading both the RAM and the HDD. A couple of screws, removal of an L bracket, and both could be upgraded in about 3 minutes.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 27, 2021 11:37AM
I voted myself in the Pismo camp, but like others here, I would have liked an iBook option... after all, where else could you have seen one of these?:

or these:

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 27, 2021 11:43AM
Still using my 13" 2011 MBP daily.

Loved the Powerbook 100 back in grad school...got it used for 1/3 the price of new.

Then spent half the price I paid to add a high-speed modem card...communication between students & faculty was via Appletalk Remote Access networking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2021 11:45AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 27, 2021 01:05PM
Zoid,

Same goes for the unibody Macbooks. Upgrading the SSD of Macbook Pro retina models through 2015 was also very easy. Couldn't upgrade the RAM but the SSD was simple. I still have an '09 Macbook Pro 13" unibody that I use for potchkeying around on the Internet and for playing with various versions of Linux. I've got a 2.5" boot drive for the Mac OS and two different versions of Linux.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020